Thread: Carry guns in .38 Super

Post imported post

I have had a fascination with the .38 Super caliber for a while now and I decided to get a handgun in said caliber. Does anyone have a suggestion for a .38 super handgun?

I am looking for something besides the 1911 in .38 because is a common race gun in that calibre. Im thinking about the Taurus 938, because I also like the Taurus 945, but I'de like to know about some other suggestions.

Post imported post

Look at the EAA witness line. I have a compact in 9mm that I like just fine.

Post imported post

Prettymuch limited to a few Taurus Semi Auto's (two iirc), 1911's and a CZ clones (EAA Witness).

Your biggest problem is finding ammo locally, unless you live south of the Rio Grande.

The .357 Sig and 9mm+p+ out perform .38 Super with commercial loads as does some 9mm+p loads when fired from 5" barreled guns.

9mm+p 115gr @ 1415fps / 511ft. lbs. from a G17
    38 SUPER 125 GR. DPX @ 1350 FPS/ 506 FT LBS from 5"barrel

If you really want to get the most performance from a 9mm/.38 super sized projectile go with 9x25.

9X25 Dillon 115gr. Bonded Defense JHP @ 1800fps/ 827 ft.lbs

I believe those velocities are from a stock length Glock 20 barrel, however they might be a from a 6".
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

i to like the 38 super...it was better at shooting through radaitors then the 45 acp and the fbi used them alot in the 30's.....357 sig is kinda like the modern 38 super...35 cal bullet going really fast!!!!!!!! oh spectre...you seen the new taurus 1911's? they finally came out in 40 and 9mm..the nine is looking mighty tempting...

Post imported post

ballester wrote:
    i to like the 38 super...it was better at shooting through radaitors then the 45 acp and the fbi used them alot in the 30's.....357 sig is kinda like the modern 38 super...35 cal bullet going really fast!!!!!!!!* oh spectre...you seen the new taurus 1911's? they finally came out in 40 and 9mm..the nine is looking mighty tempting...
    I have not but a .40 cal 1911 has always been on my "must have" list.

Post imported post

yeah man...i got the new taurus brocure...remeber the 709 i wanted?? taurus completely changed the whole gun...some people think its ugly..but i like it...so maybe one day!!!...but yeah i still like 38 super..but a +p+ 9mm or 357 sig is just as good...they just dont have the old timey feel though!!

Post imported post

.38 super is still hanging on, although most boxed ammo you will find in BARELY faster than 38 auto 1150-1190 FPS.

REAL .38 super should be driving a 130 grain bullet 1300 FPS Damn near as fast as .357 sig, but with lower chamber pressure (and it as doing it in the 30's). 9mm +p+ can go that fast, but is doing so well over standard pressure. When .38 super is driven to actual +p, or +p+ levels, magic happens.

Like everyone says, if you get a .38 super, start reloading. It's fun, makes ammo cheap, and you can custom tailor your loads.

The heir to the throne is 9x23 Winchester.