Thread: OC Appreciated?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I went to the T.E.A. Party in Nashville OC'ing a CZ82. I had about 3 encounters with people inquiring about the legality of OC. The first two were friendly exchanges with a couple of men. The last one threw me.

A lady came up to me while I was taking some pictures of the event, and actually thanked me for being armed. She said, "I want to thank you for coming here today with the means (glancing squarely at my side arm) to provide defense for us if the need were to arise." Then, she too asked about the legality of OC. Turned out that she had been recently assaulted (showed me a nylon brqace on her wrist and injured hand) and was looking into getting her Tn HCP. She said she was determined that she wasn't going to be a victem again. I told her, "Good for you", and told her about OCDO. We chatted for a few minutes about gun laws.

No-one else in the crowd seemed to mind at all at seeing an open carried firearm by anyone other than the LEO's that were present. Even the LEO's didn't bother me about it.

I just never thought anyone would "thank" me for being armed. :shock:

Post imported post

I always have a good chuckle when people think they have to conceal their firearms, even when the permit (handgun carry permit, in your case) doesn't even include the word "concealed".

I too would like to thank you for protecting yourself! :celebrate
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I've been thanked a few times as well. The first time caught me off guard as it was early in my OC'ing life (a mother and young son in an Office Depot).

One of the most interesting exclamations I have ever encountered with OC'ing was from an off-duty police officer in a Wendy's in Manassas. He was with his lady (a private investigator). He looked at me at the "fixings" counter and loudly exclaimed, "Now there's a real American!".

The three of us sat across from each other and had a great conversation.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I had the same experience at the Tea Party I attended, TF. Several folks moved closer to me and told me they felt safer hangin near me. We all looked over our shoulders at the cops sitting in their warm, dry squad cars about a block away. I told them I'd protect them as I was already wet, and on the scene. Many conversations ensued about carrying, obtaining permits, or about guns 'n ammo. And that was in between the discussions of politics, interviews and pictures.

Post imported post

Sounds like more than a few of us need to run for public office.

Post imported post

Here in Alabama you can't possess a firearm at any sort of political demonstration.

I'm not too fond of the tea parties, but I've not gone to any political demonstrations because of the weapons prohibition.

I've never been complimented for carrying, but I have had people ask questions about the firearm, rather than whether it was legal for me to carry or not.