• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing at Springfield Mall DMV

IanB

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Virginia has a standard set of boilerplate clauses that are required to be in every contract, and one of those clauses is that any clause in the contract that would otherwise require the Commonwealth to violate any statelaw, ordinance or regulation is null and void. (I know I should be citing sources to back up my assertions, but after being retired from state employment where I executed contracts for, among other things,the lease of real estate, I no longer have access to the state computer system(s) where the policy manuals regardingthese matters are easily accessed. I suppose one could submit a FOIA request for a hard copy but I don;t want to spend the $$ just to prove a point. Anybody can go to the Dept. of General Services and ask to see the purchasing manual.) They all are dealt with in the state purchasing system if anybody wants to follow up and look at the manual. Additionally, the Commonwealth is prohibitted from executing contracts that violate state law, ordinance or regulation, so any lease that contained such a provision would become completely null and void with the option of the landlord continuing to rent out the property without the non-permitted clause/policy or terminating the lease per the boilerplate provisions.

OK, so we don't have hard evidence YET, but based upon what Skid wrote, I can not see how Springfield Mall could stop me from entering the mall while OC for the express purpose of doing bussiness at the DMV.

The DMV has a lease with Simon Properties, and they most likely have this clause in the lease. I think I have some phone calls to make.

Ok, Virginia Gen Services is tracking down the lease and will email me a copy (for free!) once they find it.

Thundar

imported post

I love the tenacity of the members here. Keepus updated. I can't wait to go in the Springfield Mall (don't live there, but drive by there all the time.) to get a copy of the drivers manual sporting Mr. Sig Sauer.

hsmith

imported post

I could see them having to allow you to do your business at and only at the DMV and then leaving and going no where else.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

This brings up a good point? What about a PUBLIC meeting or Twon Hall meeting when Kaine has a meeting, in the evening at a K-12 school. You can't OC to that. Maybe they will say you can't OC to that DMV...

IanB

imported post

I have the lease, but I can't access it till I get home. Work blocks personal email sites.

IanB

imported post

ed wrote:
This brings up a good point? What about a PUBLIC meeting or Twon Hall meeting when Kaine has a meeting, in the evening at a K-12 school. You can't OC to that. Maybe they will say you can't OC to that DMV...
I don't see how the two are comparable. One isa bona fide gun free zoneas defined by state code. The other isleased spaceon private property.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hate to rain on the parade; but I think even a favorable lease finding is going to be only a partial solution.

One, you have to walk through the mall or an anchor store (Target) to get to the DMV, and

Two, that DMV frequently has long lines snaking out into the common area. Meaning, you would have to stand in the mall for some period before you even got into the DMV. That, or time your visit so you didn't have to stand in the mall in a line, which still assumes youthe mall doesn't mind youwalking from the mall entrance or through Target to the DMV.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Interesting connumdrum.

I'd have to argue that a state agency cannot wrap itself in a private property lease that denies our right.

Did I mention that I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, but IANAL?

RedKnightt

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I'd have to argue that a state agency cannot wrap itself in a private property lease that denies our right.
Whereas the state might argue it is not denying our right due to the fact that the property is privately owned, and is only leased by the state. From the point of view of the state, they can only enforce preemption on public property.

For example, they would be unable to ban OC/CC at the DMV in Sterling, which is a stand-alone building on public property, but could disallow OC/CC at Springfield DMV, if that is the will of the private property owner.

One key to solving this might be to find an analogous 1st or 4th Amendment setup, where the state can't ban Assembly or Privacy against Searches on land they lease, but do not own. That would be a strong precedent, but may not be possible until a court rules in favor of 2nd Amendment incorporation.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
For example, they would be unable to ban OC/CC at the DMV in Sterling, which is a stand-alone building on public property, but could disallow OC/CC at Springfield DMV, if that is the will of the private property owner.
This is the way I think it will play out.

possumboy

imported post

OC there recently to the DMV.

Some smart-ass asked me why I felt the need to carry there.

I pointed out theknife attacks, robberies,and kidnapping that have taken place at that mall.

Shejust shut up.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

"It is not conceivable that a city can provide the ways and means for a private individual or corporation to discriminate against its own citizens...The Judgment of this court is not rendered without the full realization of the impact of this decision on the State Park system in Virginia. The future course rests in the hands of the elected and appointed representatives of the Commonwealth. This opinion follows the law as set forth in all decided cases touching on the subject matter, and it is rather significant that no legal authority has been cited by the defendants to justify any other conclusion. The contention that a normal lessor-lessee relationship should be permitted in leases of public property must give way to the constitutional rights of the citizens as a whole. [align=left]A decree will be entered in the form of a declaratory judgment stating the Plaintiff's rights to use and enjoy the facilities at Seashore State Park have been violated under the Constitution of the United States, and a permanent federal injunction will be granted..." Tate v. Department of Conservation and Development, 133 F. Supp. 53 (E.D. 1955). [/align]

RedKnightt

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
"<snipped> The contention that a normal lessor-lessee relationship should be permitted in leases of public property must give way to the constitutional rights of the citizens as a whole. [align=left]A decree will be entered in the form of a declaratory judgment stating the Plaintiff's rights to use and enjoy the facilities at Seashore State Park have been violated under the Constitution of the United States, and a permanent federal injunction will be granted..." Tate v. Department of Conservation and Development, 133 F. Supp. 53 (E.D. 1955). [/align]
Unfortunately, Tate refers to leasing of public property to private parties. The Springfield DMV is the reverse, a lease of private property to a public (govt) party. Public property is (in theory) required to observe the constitutional rights of citizens. Private property owners are usually not.

Neplusultra

imported post

possumboy wrote:
OC there recently to the DMV.

Some smart-ass asked me why I felt the need to carry there.

I pointed out theknife attacks, robberies,and kidnapping that have taken place at that mall.

Shejust shut up.
Wasn't there also a shooting? It was in the garage area IIRC. This was after the DC sniper.

RedKnightt

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Wasn't there also a shooting? It was in the garage area IIRC. This was after the DC sniper.
There was a shooting in Dec of '07, http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1207/477253.html

It turned out to be gang-related: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/25/AR2008042503366.html

A woman was also kidnapped from there and later died in a crash while the kidnappers fled police: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/14/AR2008091400009.html

There was also a stabbing: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/122706stabbingupd.htm

It's no wonder they want to raze it and rebuild: http://www.springfieldtowncenter.com/

nova

imported post

There was a stabbing less than 30min after I left there with a friend. Never been back since.