• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1180 just passed

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Obviously this isn't OC specific, but the CO Senate just passed HB 1180 that allows CCW holders to purchase a firearm from an FFL dealer or at a gun show without a background check. Unfortunately there was an amendment attached that requires the Colorado Bureau of Investigations to develop a uniform standard for CCW permits to ensure that they cannot be counterfeited. CBI could ask for an appropriation of funds in order to study the issue which could hold up implementation of the bill, or even kill it altogether. I'll provide more info as I get it.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

This would only allow CCW holders to bypass the background check of future purchases if their CCW is issued after the bill becomes law. Those of us who already have CCW will not be afforded the same benefit. :X

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Correct, although anyone who renews after the effective date of this law would get that benefit. If the law goes into effect 12-18 months from now, those of us with current CCWs would have to petition our Sheriff to renew the permit early in to get the benefit.

Gunslinger

imported post

That's moronic. The future background check will be no different than the current. How can you prevent counterfeiting completely? The bottom line looks strangely like a way to up the cost of a CCW. Tax Ritter will love that.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's the email I got from the bill's sponsor, Sen. Brophy:

Today I passed HB09-1180 on third reading in the Senate; it will now go back to the House, hopefully they will approve.

The bill will allow you to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer without going through the “not so instant” background check if you have a concealed carry weapons permit issued or renewed after January 1, 2010.

I had to make it apply only to new permits to satisfy the BATF – not that I want to satisfy them, but we have to follow the law until we can change it.

Greg

I've asked for some clarification on it.

Gunslinger

imported post

Just cost me 30 bucks and an hour of my time picking up the new 24/7 at Whistling Pines. With a CCW and the clearances I have it is absolute BS. I guess this will be a small step in the right direction.

HungSquirrel

imported post

I had to make it apply only to new permits to satisfy the BATF – not that I want to satisfy them, but we have to follow the law until we can change it.
This sounds like my kinda senator. Any chance Alabama can borrow him for a few years? :lol:

planedr

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
hmm.... not sure if renewal would be a workaround but I'll bounce it off Sheriff Makita and as pro-gun as he is, I'd bet he'll be issuing lots of early renewals
How early can you renew? Mine will only be a year old.

bcbrown2

imported post

I'm glad we're seeing legislation come through which supports responsible gun ownership, but I don't see this as being a very big deal. The longest I've had to wait on a BGC since Obama Day has been a few hours for a next-day pickup and that was only because I filled it out an hour before our gun club closed.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to use my CHP as a surrogate or "pre-approved" way of getting through the BGC process (heck, our gun club already accepts a CHP in lieu of running a check for membership), but I just don't see the current waits as something requiring the focus of our legislators when there are much larger problems facing them today.

The only way I could see this impacting us in our wallets would be if gun dealers dropped their prices to CHP holders by a few percent to offset the increase in productivity and shared cost reduction. Fat chance. Otherwise, I see this merely as a convenience issue.

albritton77

imported post

All of you Colorado residents who enjoy the 2nd amendment can tell Governor Ritter you won't be voting for him in 2010.
Why?
He decided to veto HB 1180.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovRitter/GOVR/1242391623600

This action tells me that he not only DOESN'T TRUST CCW permit holders, but he doesn't trust his own legislature either.

(Keep in mind that NINETEEN Democrat signatures were on HB 1180... almost 1/3 of the Colorado Caucus Democrats. Governor Ritter doesn't like bi-partisan decisions either!!!)