Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ever been arrested/detained for OC?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    I just recently got my CHL and before that never carried a gun in public. I did a little OC last night while walking the dog at the park. When I came down the trail to where you can see the parking lot there was a cop parked there. I immediately covered my weapon with my coat in fear I was doing something wrong. I know how the law reads and that it is legal to OC in Salem with a CHL but a big part of mefeels a cop would definately flip ifthey sees me OC. Any thoughts on this? Ever had a cop wig out on you for OC?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    had an encounter in P-town, but nothing in Salem.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    367

    Post imported post

    RallySoob wrote:
    I just recently got my CHL and before that never carried a gun in public. I did a little OC last night while walking the dog at the park. When I came down the trail to where you can see the parking lot there was a cop parked there. I immediately covered my weapon with my coat in fear I was doing something wrong. I know how the law reads and that it is legal to OC in Salem with a CHL but a big part of mefeels a cop would definately flip ifthey sees me OC. Any thoughts on this? Ever had a cop wig out on you for OC?
    Rally - you have to get over feeling like you are doing something wrong and you have to show your security in what you are doing. Be competent in the laws and your ability to explain them if confronted. Print out a copy of the Oregon pamphlet we just finished and be ready to hand them out or talk about them with people.

    Show up Sunday and let's talk.

    As to copy's wigging out, there are bunches of stories about it happening here on OC. There are examples of both the good and the bad ways to handle it. There are also a lot of different ways to go about protecting yourself with recorders, etc. Just spend some time reading here to learn a lot.

    -adamsesq

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    adamsesq wrote:
    RallySoob wrote:
    I just recently got my CHL and before that never carried a gun in public. I did a little OC last night while walking the dog at the park. When I came down the trail to where you can see the parking lot there was a cop parked there. I immediately covered my weapon with my coat in fear I was doing something wrong. I know how the law reads and that it is legal to OC in Salem with a CHL but a big part of mefeels a cop would definately flip ifthey sees me OC. Any thoughts on this? Ever had a cop wig out on you for OC?
    Rally - you have to get over feeling like you are doing something wrong and you have to show your security in what you are doing. Be competent in the laws and your ability to explain them if confronted. Print out a copy of the Oregon pamphlet we just finished and be ready to hand them out or talk about them with people.

    Show up Sunday and let's talk.

    As to copy's wigging out, there are bunches of stories about it happening here on OC. There are examples of both the good and the bad ways to handle it. There are also a lot of different ways to go about protecting yourself with recorders, etc. Just spend some time reading here to learn a lot.

    -adamsesq
    Yeah, I know, you're right. I've printed the pamphlet out, carry it in my wallet. I also made my own little custom card thing that has the main ORS codes and exceptions printed on it. I'll report back if I ever have any problemsOC'ing in Salem.

    Thanks again for the advice adams

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    367

    Post imported post

    Please show up tomorrow. There just might be some other goodies for you... If I can get the laminator out tonight...

    -adamsesq

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    JoCo, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I will have to admit, I probably would have done the same thing, only because I don't know the law enough. From what I gathered, since I have a permit, I should be able to OC just about anywhere in S. OR..

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    On a side note. I havent OC'd in quite a few months, mainly because of so many things going on right now in my life. With having a new puppy, school, work, and not knowing where im going to be going and when.

    Since I dont have my CHL I cant open carry LOADED. So it hasnt been a big problem for me. I will be getting my CHL in the next month or 2 and will start carrying daily then.



    Back when I did OC quite often, I never thought of it as something wrong. I knew some could view it as that, and a police officer may as well, and he may detain me or what not to investigate it.

    I saw quite a few officers when I oc'd and not a single one of them said a word to me regarding it. It could have been my business attire and my demeanor of acting like nothing is wrong and this is completely normal/fine.



    Anyways I would definitely not act or seem scared. You may do something that a police officer see's as "suspicious", doing that with a firearm on your hip doesnt seem like the greatest idea :/

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    Blacryan wrote:
    Since I dont have my CHL I cant open carry LOADED. So it hasnt been a big problem for me. I will be getting my CHL in the next month or 2 and will start carrying daily then.



    I saw quite a few officers when I oc'd and not a single one of them said a word to me regarding it. It could have been my business attire and my demeanor of acting like nothing is wrong and this is completely normal/fine.



    Anyways I would definitely not act or seem scared. You may do something that a police officer see's as "suspicious", doing that with a firearm on your hip doesnt seem like the greatest idea :/
    First, I agree with you that your business attire probably helped. I've often wondered what my business attire to do with my OC'ing, except so far I only OC in the woods where I live.

    But you can open carry with a loaded gun without an OHCL, provided the local county or city doesn't require an OCHL before you can OC. It's California where you can't OC loaded without a special permit, orunless you are a certain distance away from an inhabited area.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •