• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about carrying

spencer280

imported post

i am from pa and i have a LTCF permit that allows me to carry a weapon concealed. WV is in agreement with pa with the permit i hold. my question is . is wv a open carry state or concealed or is it both. my dad lives in marmet wv hes running for mayor and i visit a lot i needed to know before heading down there

spencer280

imported post

ok one question i was reading someones post and i said something about . you can not open carry in Charleston. is this true. may dad lives right beside that city7. marmet that is where i would be at marmet but is that true about charleston wv

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Yes this is true. within city limits open carry is currently prohibited. This is currently being fought by pro gunners, but is not in the immediate future to my understanding. Both charleston and dunbar both have grandfathered ordinances put it.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

As i see it that would be correct, but i am not a lawyer. Howsomever i am a resident in VA, so i am attesting as a neighbor to WV. of course im 3 minutes from the border haha.

I can find no listings on here precisely identifying the current cities that prohibit it. However the two that are primarily listed are the only ones to my knowledge.

My suggestion would be to call the local police department for clarification. Be sure you do not ask a dispatcher, as many are not apt in current laws nor have any authority to provide you with advice. Ask to speak with an officer, or preferably the Lt. or shift officer.

Sorry for the non precise advice/answer. But I would say your safe, i carry frequently in WV as i pass through it regularly. WV tends to be very positive from my personal experience.

P.S. ill check on some codes and see what i can find. will post results at a later time.

Brian D.

imported post

As my sometimes shaky memory serves, a very few cities in WV had firearms carry prohibitions in place before the state passed concealed carry and statewide pre-emption into law. As of now the courts have upheld tose statutes as legal and binding for the cities involved, but I'm sure it'll be further hashed out in the legal system.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Brian is correct, just found it. Those are the two cities with listed phoibitations set forwarth just prior to the preemtion being inacted. In fact the charleston one hit the books 3 months prior to the preemtion .

So, those cities are criminal safe zones. but if your not in the limits, to hell with those cities. :D

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Yes, concealed is fine by all means. Standard rules apply etc....

Their code just states carrying of "deadly weapons" not concealed deadly weapons. With a license your more than legal

spencer280

imported post

one more question for you. i have a LTCF permit in pa wv is in agreement with it. now
i am covered to carry a weapon on me in car car in wv right. i think so but was just asking

spencer280

imported post

thank you and i see your a cop. good job im a corrections officer . lol see you catch them and then i deal with them.

just to tell you went out and bought a new gun today and i love it. its the new xdm 40 you can't beat 16+1 that this gun holds and the accuracy. is unreal. if you ever get a chance to buy one you will not go wrong.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Yeah, I dont broadcast it, I just let LEO229 take the heat haha. I dont like being blasted online. Makes Kong very angry :lol:

I have the XD 40.cal sub compact. A XD .45 tac service model. and the XD 9mm service. Reason I havent moved to an XDM is the magazines arent interchangeable, just cant mannage to buy enough mags to feel comfortable with it haha.

I stuck my toe in the pool of corrections didnt feel comfortable with it. You guys dont get enough credit, that is a dangerous job, idc what anyone sais. I dont mind wacking a bee's nest every now and then, but im not gonna live in the damn thing haha.

Dana

Enjoy your visit to VA by the way. Its a good place. If you come way way way down South West in VA let me know, im pretty sure im the only member from the middle of nowhere VA haha

colorado slick

imported post

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45 wrote:
Yeah, I dont broadcast it, I just let LEO229 take the heat haha. I dont like being blasted online. Makes Kong very angry :lol:

I have the XD 40.cal sub compact. A XD .45 tac service model. and the XD 9mm service. Reason I havent moved to an XDM is the magazines arent interchangeable, just cant mannage to buy enough mags to feel comfortable with it haha.

I stuck my toe in the pool of corrections didnt feel comfortable with it. You guys dont get enough credit, that is a dangerous job, idc what anyone sais. I dont mind wacking a bee's nest every now and then, but im not gonna live in the damn thing haha.

Dana

Enjoy your visit to VA by the way. Its a good place. If you come way way way down South West in VA let me know, im pretty sure im the only member from the middle of nowhere VA haha
Duane, you seem to know what you are talking about so I'm throwing you a question. Do you have any idea why no agreement exists between WV and Colorado? I am from WV originally but have lived in Colorado for several years.

Colorado Slick.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Slick, Reciprocity basically boils down to literal politics. It is the responsibility of your states gov. to make a mutual agreement with the commonwealths, or WV's "not sure which one you were asking about". This is my understanding of the matter.

I can state in confidence, it is not up to law enforcement. pretty much the "I dont make the laws I enforce them deal"

You can however possess your firearm in plain site etc if you wish to travel to either state. If you are traveling here through anti-gun states adhere to the US Code 18 USC 926A Interstate transport of firearms etc..

Or you may go this route "The 2004 Virginia General Assembly amended § 18.2-308, Code of Virginia, to authorize nonresidents of Virginia to apply for a concealed handgun permit. Nonresidents of the Commonwealth 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Virginia State Police for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun" quoted VA state police web site.

With WV im not 100% sure they have non resident concealed permits. in light of that open carry is permitted.

If theres anything else, just ask. Hope this helped. I give everything a try :D

Dana

colorado slick

imported post

Thanks Dana( I got your name right thius time). Here in Colorado we have no problems except for Denver. Just belt it on and go. I do have a concealed permit and the Sheriff told me I can carry it any way I want, I'll check with the CBI tomorrow and see what the situation is.

Thanks again,

Colorado Slick

LEO 229

imported post

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45 wrote:
I have been taking heat for over two years.... same old players....

The game is getting old... but they still want to play it. :lol: