• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ready to OC in Seattle Center?

phoneguy

imported post

I know "Hippie Fest" (as my daughter calls it) is just around the corner. Anyone wants to OC next mouth? Is Seattle ready for it? For me personally I rather not, however just want to get some input from the local OC's.
This can be the ultimate test if some chose to OC at this event.

j2l3

imported post

"Ultimate Test" is right. This is the event that got knucklehead started on his "Executive Order" last year.

I won't be there, not out of fear of the police, out of no interest in the event. Never have been interested in it.

phoneguy

imported post

grishnav wrote:
My boss's band is playing, and I'm planning on attending. However, I've not yet decided on whether or not I will OC to the event.
Remember your video of that fu** guy. Just imagine a 100 of them coming up to you trying to yank on your GLOCK.

arentol

imported post

phone guy wrote:
grishnav wrote:
My boss's band is playing, and I'm planning on attending. However, I've not yet decided on whether or not I will OC to the event.
Remember your video of that fu** guy. Just imagine a 100 of them coming up to you trying to yank on your GLOCK.
I doubt their would be a riot, or a mass group attack. However, I think it would be a very bad idea to OC at the festival this year. It is just simply the wrong time and place to push the OC issue. In a couple more years, maybe after Nickels quits bringing the folk life festival shooting to the forefront of everyones mindd, and the wound has healed some, it would be acceptable. But right now it would be unnecessarily provacative. Might as well call yourself Fred Phelps.

There is also the issue that you would be going there with the full knowledge that the people at the event are very sensitive to guns thanks to what happened two years ago. You might just end up finding yourself being charged with something like disturbing the peace or incitement to riot. It may be legal to OC most of the time, but there are lots of actions that are legal most of the time that become illegal when the person doing them knows there is a chance of the actions resulting in a riot.

I would suggest instead considering OC'ing as a group the day before or after the event. Makes the point without causing a freaking riot.

okkid

imported post

All they would do is ask you to leave. Its just a rule not a law or a ban so

we have no right to carry because its ok to make a rule.

!barfing sound!:banghead:

G27

imported post

As much as I hate to say it, it simply is the wrong time and place for such. With great freedom comes great responsibility. Personally, I'd conceal for this event. But again, it's all your choice.

G27

imported post

Mike wrote:
Has there actually been a rule issued by Mayor Nickels? Cite?
Mayor Greg Nickels is going forward with a controversial executive order which would ban "dangerous weapons" - including firearms - on Seattle owned parks and properties. An exact date has not been set yet for when the ban will go into effect. However, a spokesman for the Mayor's office said the ban is currently expected to begin sometime in May.
The Daily Weekly., http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/03/mayor_nickels_moving_forward_w.php

FunkTrooper

imported post

If you push on something sensitive it becomes irritating. I would CC at the event, if you know the hippie mentality you know its easy to incite riots and so forth.

arentol

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
If you push on something sensitive it becomes irritating. I would CC at the event, if you know the hippie mentality you know its easy to incite riots and so forth.
Sometimes it seems there is nobody more violent than someone who loves "peace" while there is nobody more peaceful than those who carry arms capable of great violence.

Not a hard-and-fast rule of course, but there seems to be an overall tendency in the hippie and the gun sub-cultures to act in a manner opposite of the manner that you would expect based on appearances and professed interests.

I think it is a spider-man like thing on the gun side "With great power comes great responsibility", and the opposite on the other side "With no power comes the freedom to be an asshole because you are innocent and peace loving so it is always the other guys fault for inciting you."

Lord_Kalen

imported post

It mighyt be just how I am , but I have far less isues with "Hippies" then the :"normal" public OCing today I had a a pretty decent day OCing then a few days ago and my looming RCW 9-41-270 charges

I admit IM quite (gladlY) abnormal

any ways it took me several tries to type this but happy holidays

grishnav

imported post

Lord_Kalen wrote:
It mighyt be just how I am , but I have far less isues with "Hippies" then the :"normal" public OCing today I had a a pretty decent day OCing then a few days ago and my looming RCW 9-41-270 charges

You can't just drop that juicy tidbit and expect someone not to ask!

Though I understand if you can't say anything...

Lord_Kalen

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Lord_Kalen wrote:

You can't just drop that juicy tidbit and expect someone not to ask!

Though I understand if you can't say anything...

Needless to say I was abit Intoxicated/Invoke the5th when I wrote my first post , not a very common condition for me but aharmless indulgence on occasion.

My typing and expressive writing does tend to be rather poor generally.

In my experience "Hippy" types are far less likely to call the police on any one OCing

Generally if the have an issue with it there more likely to talk to you rather then resort to a cellphone which they tend to carry less frequently then the average person. Most of the Local hippy population here is fairly cool with my carrying and guns in general , albeit these are a less urban crowd

Last night my OC experience was what is fairly typical for me , I'll make another post about the 9-41-270 BS and possibly a history of myself, but to simplify it I dont have my CCW at present and may not be interested in reobtaining it

The weather was pretty decent and I had need to get some materials for my woodcrafting in town a few miles away , and so I walked into town OCing a CZ-52 in its milsurp leather flap holster making effort that it was fully open to view, this isnt anything out of the ordiniary to the local hardware store employees , and had no issues , nor any issues when I went to the the convenience store across the street and bought a few beers .

I left town and headed home with a planned stop to the local river , figuring I may have friends down there , when I arrived at the river , I saw no one I recognized and went over to a nice shady spot sat down and cracked open a beer after awhile a small group flagged me over offered me a drink and greeted me I hung around them for awhile with no real conversation about my arms . the first real expression of note came when I was using my Pugio , 9.5inche Blade/16 OA length Knife based on a Iberian and laterRoman dagger , secondary edge remmited for legal reasons in some locals , no one took offense to it and were impressed by my use of it and its utility

Abit later one of them asked about my pistol cant remember the minor details of any conversations but things unfolded in the following many , I palmed the magazine , unholstered and double checked the chamber before handing it to him , He asked If he could fire it, and I told him I didnt think it was inadvisable do to the time and the noise it would make mightbring unwanted attention, one of his brothers kinda was taken back by it and I went through my normal explaining of my carrying and the philosophies I have regarding both of my normal carry arms , This guy was notably gay , and abit femm , but was accepting of my weapons and me , his third brother was very intoxicated at this time barely standing and got abit unedge do to his brothers unease ..... it took abit of talking and the perhaps unorthodox practice of a group hug but everything calmed down and we had a good time for a few hours , I hitched a ride home with them and hope to run across them again .

A good day in my opinion .

just_a_car

imported post

G27 wrote:
Isn't the event considered an outdoor music festival, thus preventing carrying a firearm illegal anyway?
From what I recall hearing from Gray Peterson (formerly Lonnie Wilson), they are required to get a license to have an "outdoor music festival".... So, if they don't have the license, they aren't one, by law.

IANAL... consult a real lawyer if you feel you want to risk OC'ing at this event.

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
RCW 70.108.150
Firearms — Penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Notice that under the .020 definition posted above, there is no wording such as "for which a permit has been acquired". Because of that, I would think that if you carried at an event that met the definition of .020 that you could be guilty under .150 regardless of whether that event was legalalized or not by obtaining the permit.
Hmmm interesting. You may be ion to something with that thought.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Damn Hippies

sp902_Die_Hippy_Die.jpg

just_a_car

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Notice that under the .020 definition posted above, there is no wording such as "for which a permit has been acquired". Because of that, I would think that if you carried at an event that met the definition of .020 that you could be guilty under .150 regardless of whether that event was legalalized or not by obtaining the permit.
You must have missed this part:
PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
And, as you can see for yourself, the next section covers permitting of outdoor music festivals:
No person or other legal entity shall knowingly allow, conduct, hold, maintain, cause to be advertised or permit an outdoor music festival unless a valid permit has been obtained from the issuing authority for the operation of such music festival as provided for by this chapter. One such permit shall be required for each outdoor music festival. A permit may be granted for a period not to exceed sixteen consecutive days and a festival may be operated during any or all of the days within such period. Any person, persons, partnership, corporation, association, society, fraternal or social organization, failing to comply with the rules, regulations or conditions contained in this chapter shall be subject to the appropriate penalties as prescribed by this chapter.
-RCW 70.108.030

In other words, they have to have a permit to hold one, unless they have a permit/license from some other legal body of the state.

I do see your point about there being the possibility of them illegally holding an Outdoor Music Festival by not obtaining a permit, but I would think it would be a valid defense that you checked (if you did) and found them to be without permit and assumed they were then absolved of the definition due to the bolded part of the quote above, thus making it NOT an Outdoor Music Festival and legal to carry at.

This is assuming you have proof of checking for a permit.

IANAL.