• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i have a question

headhunter09

imported post

so i just picked up the taurus pt 1911 today and when i went to chamber the first round the slide got lodged on the round and would not chamber fully. well i then let the slide go forward with full force the same as if i were to release the slide release and it made a really unnatural sound so i dropped the mag out and dechambered the round and the tip was pushed further into the shell so if some one could let me know what is going on with this gun i would be very thankfull. this is the model i got.....

mercutio545

imported post

headhunter09 wrote:
so i just picked up the taurus pt 1911 today and when i went to chamber the first round the slide got lodged on the round and would not chamber fully. well i then let the slide go forward with full force the same as if i were to release the slide release and it made a really unnatural sound so i dropped the mag out and dechambered the round and the tip was pushed further into the shell so if some one could let me know what is going on with this gun i would be very thankfull. this is the model i got.....
If what you mean is that the bullet got seated noticeably deeper into the case from chambering it, THROW IT AWAY if you have not already done so. You could risk a kB by using that round.

As far as your issue goes, it could be a number of things. If you're using hollow points, that could be a cause. I'd try it with some FMJ's (which is what the 1911 was originally designed for. Yes, yes, I know, the PT1911 has the throated chamber, etc, but it can still jam!). I'll let someone else who is more knowledgeble about 1911's take it from there.

Nice gun you have there though. I was deciding on a PT1911 and a Springfield Mil-Spec, and got the Mil-Spec because of a killer offer. I do like all the bells and whistles of the PT though.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
headhunter09 wrote:
If what you mean is that the bullet got seated noticeably deeper into the case from chambering it, THROW IT AWAY if you have not already done so. You could risk a kB by using that round.

As far as your issue goes, it could be a number of things. If you're using hollow points, that could be a cause. I'd try it with some FMJ's (which is what the 1911 was originally designed for. Yes, yes, I know, the PT1911 has the throated chamber, etc, but it can still jam!). I'll let someone else who is more knowledgeble about 1911's take it from there.

Nice gun you have there though. I was deciding on a PT1911 and a Springfield Mil-Spec, and got the Mil-Spec because of a killer offer. I do like all the bells and whistles of the PT though.
No, don't throw it away. Take it to a gun shop, your local police station, or to a shooting range the next time you visit one. Throwing away a live round is never a good idea.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
No, don't throw it away. Take it to a gun shop, your local police station, or to a shooting range the next time you visit one. Throwing away a live round is never a good idea.
How about just rip the bullet off and empty out of the powder...

compmanio365

imported post

Have someone who knows what they are doing do a fluff and buff on your feed ramp, sounds like it's a bit rough from the factory and could use it. My 1911 has no issues feeding JHP ammo.

SouthernBoy

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
How about just rip the bullet off and empty out of the powder...
I was thinking about mentioning this but decided against it based upon what I perceived the OP's general knowledge about firearms and ammunition to be. I decided to err on the side of caution in that regard for his sake.

VAopencarry

imported post

How did you try and chamber the round the first time if the 2d time you let the slide go with full force? You should always let it go with full force when chambering a round. I would take it to the range and put 100 rounds through it before I started thinking something was wrong with the gun. Taurus=lifetime warranty.

headhunter09

imported post

well i want to thank you all for your input on this matter. i did go down to one of my local gun shops and asked the same question and the guy told me that it is most likely because of the fact that i have not yet worn a grove into the feed ramp and that i need to simply run some fmj rounds through it and that will fix it. I also picked up one wilson combat 7 round mag just because they only had one left. He did mention the gunsmith could grove the feed ramp for me for about 75 but the taurus already has a polished feed ramp so i thing the new mag and some rounds through it, it will be ok. I still have the hollow point that was dameged kinda as a momento i guess lol.

SouthernBoy

imported post

headhunter09 wrote:
well i want to thank you all for your input on this matter. i did go down to one of my local gun shops and asked the same question and the guy told me that it is most likely because of the fact that i have not yet worn a grove into the feed ramp and that i need to simply run some fmj rounds through it and that will fix it. I also picked up one wilson combat 7 round mag just because they only had one left. He did mention the gunsmith could grove the feed ramp for me for about 75 but the taurus already has a polished feed ramp so i thing the new mag and some rounds through it, it will be ok. I still have the hollow point that was dameged kinda as a momento i guess lol.
Horse pucky. No such thing.

HardChrome

imported post

You didn't answer the question about how you racked the slide. Did you let it close slowly or did you let the spring do the work? It makes a huge difference. You are supposed to release the slide and let the full force of the spring chamber the round. That's how it works when you fire it after all.

Also, make your subject line more appropriate like "Taurus 1911 feed ramp problem" rather than "i have a question". You may find others with this pistol having similar experience.

headhunter09

imported post

Well i did release the slide with the release and it got lodged so that was my problem. Im sorry for not knowing to much about 1911's because i have only known my glock 17 so this whole 1911 thing is new to me.