• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Candidates for Governor

Who is the best choice?

• Creigh Deeds (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry McAuliffe (D)

• Brian Moran (D)

• Bob McDonnell (R)

• A libertarian candidate I don't know of

• An independent candidate I don't know of

• Total voters

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm just starting to look into all the candidates, and I think I already know the answer to my own question, but I decided to ask some people who are looking for the same things in a candidate as I am.

By the way, here are the candidates if you don't know who is running:
http://www.politics1.com/va.htm

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Who is the independent candidate I don't know about?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I voted for the independent I don't know about. If I knew who s/he was, I would know about him/her.

I see all the present candidates as either paying lip service, or abhorrent for some other reason.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Google gmail now has advertising in the banners with smear websites against Bob McDonnell

There are probably better candidates out there, but they aren't running at this point and more importantly they need to be able to beat McCauliffe or Moran or even Deeds in the general election, or else we get 4 more years of a very Anti governor, though Deeds might hopefully be a little less anti.

rebfan

imported post

I hardly doubt Bob would havefollowed timmy'slead on the veto ofthe gun bills this year. Any Dem on this list surely would have. An independent simply does not have a chance to win any State wide race, and would take votes away from the people we need in office.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I'm tired of Republicans AND Democrats, but McDonnell has looked like the best choice so far. We have until June 9? for an independent to decide to run, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebfan wrote:
I hardly doubt Bob would havefollowed timmy'slead on the veto ofthe gun bills this year. Any Dem on this list surely would have. An independent simply does not have a chance to win any State wide race, and would take votes away from the people we need in office.
Agreed. But the question didn't ask who we would support, it asked who was the best choice.

I'll probably hold my nose and vote for the republican ticket, because McAuliffe is almost a shoo-in D and I believe him to the the worst on the list.

rebfan

imported post

Tess wrote:
rebfan wrote:
Agreed. But the question didn't ask who we would support, it asked who was the best choice.

I'll probably hold my nose and vote for the republican ticket, because McAuliffe is almost a shoo-in D and I believe him to the the worst on the list.

Bob is by far the best choice. Electing another Dem would just keep the pressure on the GA and the Gov to pass laws restricting our gun rights. The perception would be that VA has turned into a "blue" State(threestraight DemGovernors)and therefore, we need to have gun laws consistent with being a "blue" State.

That is not even looking at other issues that I don't think the majority of folks here would support or like, that would likely be pushed on us if another Dem was elected.

Chuckles

imported post

Tess wrote:

I talked about this in a different thread. I don't like any of the candidates running, but I for sure don't want McAuliffe in Richmond, so: 1. Creigh Deeds actually has a strong gun rights record, 2. We can all help make sure McAuliffe never gets a chance at general election by voting in the Democratic primary in June, since VA primaries DO NOT REQUIRE party registration. Even if you are a die-hard GOP member, you can go and vote against McAuliffe in the Dem Primary.

2a4all

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
Tess wrote:

I talked about this in a different thread. I don't like any of the candidates running, but I for sure don't want McAuliffe in Richmond, so: 1. Creigh Deeds actually has a strong gun rights record, 2. We can all help make sure McAuliffe never gets a chance at general election by voting in the Democratic primary in June, since VA primaries DO NOT REQUIRE party registration. Even if you are a die-hard GOP member, you can go and vote against McAuliffe in the Dem Primary.
Good strategy, but be careful what you wish for...

In '06, (state) Sen John Miller's predecessor (the incumbent) was dumped at the primary because of displeasure with his position on the Hampton Roads Transportation Authority. Republicans and Democrats voted in the R primary and put a candidate on the ballot who had no chance against Miller.

6L6GC

imported post

In '06, (state) Sen John Miller's predecessor (the incumbent) was dumped at the primary because of displeasure with his position on the Hampton Roads Transportation Authority.

his scumb of the earth predecessor should have been dumped for supporting the unconstitutional HRTA. So should that punk Phil Hamilton (my lying rep).

If he/they disrespect the constitution so much that they would knowingly create (in violation of the constitution) an appointed agency with taxing authority, why would anyone think that they would respect your constitutional right to keep and bear arms???????

Article 13 is not the only thing in the constitution

TexasNative

imported post

Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can't find an Article 13 in either the US or Virginia Constitution. Would you care to elaborate?

HPmatt

Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can't find an Article 13 in either the US or Virginia Constitution. Would you care to elaborate?

Would surmise Uniform Code of Military Justice - no punishment before a trial.