• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Strength of the Open Carry Movement???

Marty Hayes

imported post

I am curious regarding just how many people open carry on a daily basis, collectively, accross the U.S. Anyone want to hazzard a guess?

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You really want to know? Check the Virginia OC forum. It's the most active forum on the site if I read the numbers correctly. God Bless the Commonwealth.

Evil Ernie

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Ooooh, sorry buster81, you were off by 3. But thanks for playing! LOL!

That could be a valid # as any would be. No one will really know how many LAC's carry openly. I know I do..thats one that I'm positive of!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think there are a lot of people that occasionally open carry or do so when they go outdoors, or under other fairly limited circumstances.

Not counting people who open carry for their job(law enforcement, security etc.,) it seems there are only a handful of people in each area that actually carry openly on a daily basis in urban environments.

There are probably a very large number of people who normally carry concealed however who may on rare occasions open carry or who would like to be able to open carry should they choose.

Depending on how you measure it the numbers of the movement could vary a lot.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Marty Hayes wrote:
I am curious regarding just how many people open carry on a daily basis, collectively, accross the U.S. Anyone want to hazzard a guess?
Like the Dukes?

I will hazard a guess, though - 263,855

Michigander

imported post

The strength of open carriers nation wide can't be measured in daily OCers yet. What needs to happen is more police departments need to get educated. As this happens, more gun owners will jump out of the woodwork. People are afraid of police departments in many states, and this is why OCing is having trouble becoming common again.

The more cops learn they will get sued if they mess with us, the more logarithmically it will become popularized. The more the police know it's legal, the more people will do it. The more people do it, the more people will see it, and decide to do it too.

With a few small exceptions, the national news media isn't going to inform everyone for us, so the job of educating police and indeed everyone else is for those of us who open carry as much as possible.

Lately, I have become very interested in Dave Ridley style litter clean ups on crowded roads that go through many cities, because of the potential for extreme visibility and indeed having the cops called on us, causing them to get educated. I think the best way to go is pick an area people are afraid to OC in, then show up in large numbers and do it in front of everyone. I encourage everyone who legally can to do this form of activism.