Thread: Law references

Post imported post

Hello, I need some information regarding open carry in the state of Virginia for my project. If I can get help, please list the actual law and could use help paraphrasing it. Thankyou!

Hooah.

Post imported post

There is no law specifically saying open carry is legal. It is legal because there is no law against it.

Post imported post

Alright. Well where can I find the the current laws that deal with firearms in general?

Post imported post

Virginia State Police website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Search the Code of Virgina here: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm (try 'Table of Contents' then 'Title 18.2' then 'Chapter 7.' I think the firearm laws are in that section.)

Then there are federal laws that I don't have any link for.

Edit: that second link doesn't seem to be working. Google "va state code" without the quotes and it should be the first link

Post imported post

http://www.virginia1774.org/ Rudy DiGiacinto has a tremendous site for Va. law & history.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

If you have any questions about the law once you read it, ask here. There are alot of nuances in the carry laws that can confuse you.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Also may I request help on finding any interesting news articles involving people with open carry?

The more sources I can use the better.

Thanks again.

Post imported post

Armystrong wrote:
    Also may I request help on finding any interesting news articles involving people with open carry?

Thanks again.
    Want us to write your school paper? Look here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=516

Post imported post

Virginia laws concerning firearms are generally contained in Title 18.2-279 through 18.2-311.2. The index page with links to each individual paragraph in that range can be found here.

While not specifically open carry-related, you may find Clayton Cramer's Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog useful. For further information on the questions you raised, Google is your friend.

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Virginia laws concerning firearms are generally contained in Title 18.2-279 through 18.2-311.2. The index page with links to each individual paragraph in that range can be found here.
    Generally, yes, firearm laws fall under Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES GENERALLY. There's a very important one in Chapter 9 of Title 15.2 - COUNTIES, CITIES, AND TOWNS. ยง 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies

Armystrong, if you're going to search through the Code of Virginia, do so from the top instead of limiting yourself to any specific title.

Post imported post

Jonesy wrote:
    Armystrong wrote:

Thanks again.
    Want us to write your school paper? Look here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=516
    No need to be that way, he's simply asking for some sources so he can write his paper.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    We'll do what we can to get you pointed in the right direction for your paper.
    Which is why I pointed him to the specific gun-related codes in Virginia law, rather than an essentially useless "look everywhere." If you (not you, Bill) know where gun-related laws are outside of Title 18, then you should provide specifics rather than dissing someone else who's trying to help.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Post imported post

Thankyou everyone,

I'm almost done with my paper. I had to write up about 10 2 page Annotations and had to find a total of 20 sources just for about 8 pages on my main essay. I just didn't want to put down any false information and wanted to find more trusted sources. I had some stuff from my library down for information but it was very limited.
    Thanks Again

Hooah.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I'm sure a lot of us would love for you to post your paper here on this thread. Any chance of that?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

It might be possible