• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law references

Armystrong

imported post

Hello, I need some information regarding open carry in the state of Virginia for my project. If I can get help, please list the actual law and could use help paraphrasing it. Thankyou!

Hooah.

Armystrong

imported post

Alright. Well where can I find the the current laws that deal with firearms in general?

tag

imported post

Virginia State Police website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Search the Code of Virgina here: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm (try 'Table of Contents' then 'Title 18.2' then 'Chapter 7.' I think the firearm laws are in that section.)

Then there are federal laws that I don't have any link for.

Edit: that second link doesn't seem to be working. Google "va state code" without the quotes and it should be the first link

Armystrong

imported post

Also may I request help on finding any interesting news articles involving people with open carry?

The more sources I can use the better.

Thanks again.

TexasNative

imported post

Virginia laws concerning firearms are generally contained in Title 18.2-279 through 18.2-311.2. The index page with links to each individual paragraph in that range can be found here.

While not specifically open carry-related, you may find Clayton Cramer's Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog useful. For further information on the questions you raised, Google is your friend.

virginiatuck

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Virginia laws concerning firearms are generally contained in Title 18.2-279 through 18.2-311.2. The index page with links to each individual paragraph in that range can be found here.
Generally, yes, firearm laws fall under Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES GENERALLY. There's a very important one in Chapter 9 of Title 15.2 - COUNTIES, CITIES, AND TOWNS. § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies

Armystrong, if you're going to search through the Code of Virginia, do so from the top instead of limiting yourself to any specific title.

nova

TexasNative

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
We'll do what we can to get you pointed in the right direction for your paper.
Which is why I pointed him to the specific gun-related codes in Virginia law, rather than an essentially useless "look everywhere." If you (not you, Bill) know where gun-related laws are outside of Title 18, then you should provide specifics rather than dissing someone else who's trying to help.

~ Boyd

Armystrong

imported post

Thankyou everyone,

I'm almost done with my paper. I had to write up about 10 2 page Annotations and had to find a total of 20 sources just for about 8 pages on my main essay. I just didn't want to put down any false information and wanted to find more trusted sources. I had some stuff from my library down for information but it was very limited.
Thanks Again

Hooah.