• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I keep a handgun in the house with my roommate?

Kenosis

imported post

Hello all,

My mother has recently informed me that one of her friends said I could not legally have a handgun in my apartment because I am living with someone else. I am 20 and will be 21 in August, and my roommate is 21 currently. I have to feel like my mom's friend has made a false accusation, because I should suspect that if my roommate is 21 it should not be a problem.

Any advice/knowledge on this subject? All answers greatly appreciated :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

You may get a better response from those in the know on VIRGINIA law if you were to ask this question in the Virginia subsection.

In UTAH as well as Virginia there MAY be Federal implications that need to be addressed here such as: Are either of you a Felon?, or under a felony indictment?, any domestic violence issues", ect.

I don't know Virginia law myself and nothing herein shall be construed as legal advice because I am not a lawyer!

Kenosis

imported post

Thank you Joe, I'll post it on VA's page too. And thanks for the welcome! I read this forum all the time, (perhaps too much, more than I do my school work haha) and I learn something new every time I log on!

TheMrMitch

imported post

If he is a felon, he cannot have access to a weapon. That is federal. A safe with no access to him will suffice enough to keep you out of trouble....FEDERAL rules.

I'm sure you will check your state laws.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Part of this depends upon the nature of your relationship withyour roommate as well. If the roommate is someone withwhom you ONLY share living expenses with and do not share sleeping arrangements then you have MUCH more latitude.

If you have a locking door to your room and the firearm is either on your person or secured behind a locked door that the roommate does not have access to then you are good to go as well!

Remember, IANAL. The preceding is NOT LEGAL ADVICE! and We never had this conversation! LOL

FMCDH

imported post

Generally speaking, there is a large divide between someone over 18 but under 21 having access or owning a handgun, and that same person actually carrying a handgun.

If hes not otherwise restricted from owning one, and most states allow anyone over 18 to own, then he and you are fine.

Check the link below for specific info for your state.

The biggest worry you may have as the owner is what happens to you according to your state if HE uses your gun to commit a crime or causes damage with negligence. Some states hold YOU accountable, others don't.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf