• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Types of Holsters

AlwaysLearning

imported post

I have a question that may seem simple or stupid but I want to make absolutely sure before I walk out and make some dumb mistake.
I have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick tactical holster it wears lower on my thigh obviously and I wonder if it is still ok to wear and carry in this type of holster. I have looked at the pictures and read around the site and all the holsters seem to be of the close hip belt kind. I am short ( 5' 6" ) and I carry a Beretta 96 Brigadier Elite 40 S&W, and this is a much more comfortable way to carry it. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
AlwaysLearning

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

AlwaysLearning wrote:
I have a question that may seem simple or stupid but I want to make absolutely sure before I walk out and make some dumb mistake.
I have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick tactical holster it wears lower on my thigh obviously and I wonder if it is still ok to wear and carry in this type of holster. I have looked at the pictures and read around the site and all the holsters seem to be of the close hip belt kind. I am short ( 5' 6" ) and I carry a Beretta 96 Brigadier Elite 40 S&W, and this is a much more comfortable way to carry it. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
AlwaysLearning

At this time the only holster we are not sure of is an IWB holster. A drop holster outside your pants should be okay.

AlwaysLearning

imported post

Thank you for the welcome,
I am not a young guy by any stretch ( 37) and up until recently I thought I was pretty well informed about the world I live in. I was WRONG!!! as with most of us I have been listening to the uninformed and believing what I was told. I have recently woken up and will be waking up my friends as well. Many where I work are also misinformed and through this site and the advice from it's members I am starting to wake them up as well.
Thank you all for being patient with me,
AlwaysLearning

the500kid

imported post

Okay I think this question would go a little better here than the carry experience thread. SpringerXDacp meantioned to me that Flap holster were a little on the iffy side for open carry if i didn't have a CPL (which I don't) My question is how can a flap holster that rides on my thigh or hip for that matter. I tend to carry my 1911 more in a M1912 leather military style flap holster and I tend to carry my Berretta 92FS in my M12 green flap holster. Since they are both exposed and clearly carry a gun how would this be considered conceled. I understand the IWB argument since the holster is covered and then to a certain extent the gun. But how would the conceled argument work for a exposed flap holster conceleing a gun work. I'm new to all this thanks for the help.

Michigander

imported post

Realistically, IWB holsters used with the top portion exposed, and flap holsters, are not concealed. If they were concealed, no one would notice you were carrying.

The problem that you could run into is some jack ass cop, followed by some jack ass prosecutor, and a jack ass judge or jury. On appeal, it's doubtful that the charges would stick, because again, the only reason you could get in trouble is because someone clearly saw your gun. But anything is possible, and that is why you want to go the extra mile to be careful.