• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Popped my OC Cherry

T Vance

imported post

Well I finally did it. Friday night I went to Menards in Jackson. Was in there for about 30-34 min, without a problem. As far as I know nobody even noticed.

Went to Walmart and Sam's Club today in Jackson...not even as glance from anyone.

Don't you have to have a CPL to OC in a place that sells alcohol (i.e. - Walmart, Sam's Club)?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Well I finally did it. Friday night I went to Menards in Jackson. Was in there for about 30-34 min, without a problem. As far as I know nobody even noticed.

Went to Walmart and Sam's Club today in Jackson...not even as glance from anyone.

Don't you have to have a CPL to OC in a place that sells alcohol (i.e. - Walmart, Sam's Club)?
Yes. If you don't have a CPL you can't OC in Mejiers, Walmart or Sams club if they sell any alcohol.

Venator

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Thought about that after the fact. Opps!
Lucky, next time think about the places you are going...do they sell alcohol...hummmmm.... No...then good to go. Many convenience and gas store sell beer so they are off limits. It sucks, that's why a CPL makes it so much easier to OC.

Ozman101

imported post

Hey Hello to all......... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA me to finally did it .......wow what a nervous wreck I was but did it . I OCED at Cabellas in Dundee Today and walked right in had alot of looks I mean alot of lookstalked to about 6 people who worked there looking for things and they all noticed I was OCing never said anything had other people stare but no complaints had even a complament about my Pistol after that went to Gander MTN In taylor still no problems..................... thanks to all my fellow OCers for helping me with my confadence and obaying the law the right way Thanx again

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:

Lucky, next time think about the places you are going...do they sell alcohol...hummmmm.... No...then good to go. Many convenience and gas store sell beer so they are off limits. It sucks, that's why a CPL makes it so much easier to OC.

Here are a few other OC questions I have while I think about.

1) If you can't CC in a bar, but you can OC if you have a CPL, then why can you CC or OCin a store that sells alcohol if you have a CPL but you can't OC if you don't have a CPL?

2) If you don't have a CPL you have to store your firearm away while you drive. What if you are on your own private propertyand you are OCing while on a riding lawn mower...would you need a CPL for that, or does it not matter because you are on your own private property?

Venator

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:

Here are a few other OC questions I have while I think about.

1) If you can't CC in a bar, but you can OC if you have a CPL, then why can you CC or OCin a store that sells alcohol if you have a CPL but you can't OC if you don't have a CPL?

2) If you don't have a CPL you have to store your firearm away while you drive. What if you are on your own private propertyand you are OCing while on a riding lawn mower...would you need a CPL for that, or does it not matter because you are on your own private property?

1) Two statutes. First one was no firearms in the places listed in .234d, except with a CPL, which when written meant concealed in those places with a CPL. Then came the CPL which basically took most of thelisted in .234d and included them in the newer CPL law and said you can't carry concealed in those places. But they may or may not of forgotabout the CPL exemption in the first statute, hummm what to do? oh ask the AG. The attorney general looked it over andshe opined that since a CPL holder is exempted in those places, but you can'tcarry concealed you have to carry open. Weird but true.

2) On your own property:

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:

2) On your own property:

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
For some reason, legal "mumbo jumbo" confuses me...By this I'm assuming that I CAN OC without a CPL on my private property while on a riding mower.

Kimberguy

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:

2) On your own property:

Sec. 227.

For some reason, legal "mumbo jumbo" confuses me...By this I'm assuming that I CAN OC without a CPL on my private property while on a riding mower.

Yes you can. You can OC, CC, in any manner you would like on your own land.