• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whoops, I accidently hurt my GF's wrist.....

JDriver1.8t

imported post

This happened last week.

I OC my Glock 23Cin a Blackhawk serpa holster about 90% of the time I am carrying.

My GF just got her first firearm recenlty and I have been helping her get comfortable with the idea of carrying. We both have our CHP (concealed handgun permit) and she does not feel comfortable OCing, though she also owns and uses a serpa holster.

We were getting ready to go out and I strapped on my G23C like normal (one in the pipe). My GF says, "what if someone does this and tries to take it..." while she reaches from behind me to try and grab my gun, and puts her hand on the grip in a semi-drawing manner. :shock::what:

I instinctively reacted. Grabbed her wrist, twisted, and made her bend over via wrist manipulation. As soon as I realized what I was doing, I let go. Of course I was the one appologizing.:banghead: I told her that it was a bad idea to try and grab my weapon, especially if I'm not prepared for it.

I used to teach an introductory self defense course and have done a decent amount of force on force practice/training.

Moral of the story: Basic training can go a long way in weapon retention. Muscle memory and reflex do exist.

Sometimes it can not be a good thing, though I won't tell anyone that.

compmanio365

imported post

I've had several instances of this with the wife, only once actually ended up with her hurt, and I keep telling her if she wants a broken nose like she had the one time, she can keep coming up behind me and grabbing me; my instincts will be more than happy to oblige.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

About 7 years ago she reached into my leather jacket pocket while I was driving our new Sebring andI rear ended a van . Last month she went to grab me from the left side and I almost tore her finger off .

canadian

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
Moral of the story: Basic training can go a long way in weapon retention. Muscle memory and reflex do exist.

But they told me a thousand times: If I carry a firearm, some bad guy will take it from me and I would be powerless to stop them!

Who am I supposed to believe now? I'm so disillusioned.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Was the sole point of your post to gloat about your perceived ninjacat-like reflexes?

I get that feeling....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Was the sole point of your post to gloat about your perceived ninjacat-like reflexes?

I get that feeling....

:lol: I thought it was about posting domestic abuse stories on an already inflammatory, probably watched, site.

If you can't tell the difference between your gf joking around and someone actually trying to take your gun, then your ninja reflexes aren't as great as you thought.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Maybe its time to surrender your gat because you are domestically violent:? Next time just give her a wee grab on the girly bits. Works just as well and doesn't require an ace wrap to deal with the after effects.

Disclaimer: The above was offered mostly in the spirit of facetiousness and good fun.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

The point is, sometimes reflexes are greater than you expect. I knew I was home, and there was no threat present, but it still didn't stop my brain and body from reacting.

If anyone unexpectedly goes for my gun, then the consequences are on them. It is just ammusing because 'the people' are always spouting that someone will try and take your gun and you will be defensless. It simply isn't true.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
The point is, sometimes reflexes are greater than you expect. I knew I was home, and there was no threat present, but it still didn't stop my brain and body from reacting.
Disingenuous. "Reflexes" are well known and the list of them in humans are memorized in medical training. This is excusing thoughtlessness as 'reflex' and a lie.

modelo57

imported post

Thank you for this post. This a classic example of what my father, grandfather, uncles (all military men) and my instructors and my lieutenant in the fire service had drilled into my head when I was young, "you fight like you train."

When I became a auxiliary patrolman, I was trained on the job the same way. And because of this training I lost my job. Oh well.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
Disingenuous. "Reflexes" are well known and the list of them in humans are memorized in medical training. This is excusing thoughtlessness as 'reflex' and a lie.

Yes, there are a set of reflexes that are common among all people. There are also 'reflexes' that are trained. Call the muscle memory if you want. If you repeat a set of actions a certain number of times, then they will become ingrained. Then when a situation occurs, your instinctively repeat the actions. That is what happened here. It was not thoughtlessness as you seem to believe. As soon as my brain caught up, I dissenguaged what I was doing. That .5 seconds happens rather quickly.

imported post

i had to get a concealed weapons permit to put my hands in my pockets. and i constantly get harassed for open carrying them :/

david.ross

imported post

/me laughs

I'm sorry. Trained reactions are funny to me and since you grabbed the wrist the story brought back memories. I've taken down friends who decided to take my own knife and dink around with it, some acting in jest, "Whatcha going to do now?"

I wouldn't worry too much about it, she probably understands fully. My reaction would've been to break the wrist, which is what I've almost done on multiple occasions. I had friends with wrists which hurt for weeks. All I could say in jest, "Well, you learned not to do that again, huh?" ;)

compmanio365

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
holy crap, a broken nose.

You don't joke around.
Well, it wasn't on purpose, for sure. And I didn't break it but she was sure sore for a few days. The point is, supposedly after this has happened already, you would learn not to do what caused it to happen in the first place.....but I still have to say this from time to time.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
For once (twice now?) the old man makes a good point.