• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Milwaukee Frozen Custard in Leesburg, VA

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

It was one of those nice evenings.. and we decided to go get ice cream. We like Milwaukee Frozen Custard and usually go to the one in Leesburg (and I usually OC).

Tonight, an interesting conversation took place between me, the Young Man that took my order (YM) and the Owner (Owner) that was also behind the counter.

After placing my order...

YM - (looking at my hip)... is that a 45?

Me - Sure is, a Kimber.

YM- Cool. I can't wait till I am 21 and can get my permit to carry.

Me- You don't need a permit to Open Carry. Are you at least 18?

YM- Yes.. I am.. and am also gonna be a Marine

Me- Ohh Rah.. Semper Fi! Here is an information card I made up that explains some of the laws and rules of Open Carry.

YM-Thanks.. this buddy of mine that teaches gun safety classes said I can't carry until I get my permit and am 21.

Me-Well.. you only need to be 18 to Open Carry.

Owner - Why would you want to carry a gun?

Me and YM (almost in Unison.. except I said "for protection" and YM said "for self defense")

Owner-I don't like guns!

Me-So you would not want me in here with a gun?

Owner-Absolutely Not!

Me-Well.. I guess I will stop coming here because every time I have come here since you opened I have come here and been armed like I am now.

Owner (looks at my hip)- Oh! Are you a cop??

Me- No.. just a citizen like you.

Me-So if you don't want me in here again I will leave and not come back.

Owner-No.. I don't mind you coming in here.

Me-Well.. if you tell me (and others) that you don't want guns in here.. only the BAD guys will carry guns in here.. Honest, law abiding citizens won't carry in here or won't come in at all. And you probably never even notice as I have been coming here for years and this is the first time that you noticed. Besides.. in this economy.. I would think you would want all the business you can get!

Owner-Well you got that right and you gave me something to think about.

Me- So.. am I welcome to come back again? Armed as Usual?

Owner- Yes. You are.. and thank you for coming tonight.

Me- Your welcome.. Good night.

Owner - Good Night

YM- See Ya!

:dude:

TFred

imported post

Hmm... makes me wonder what would happen in a similar situation at Carl's here in Fredericksburg. I'd be half afraid that the sight of it would give the 140 year old security guard a heart attack...

TFred

Glock27Bill

imported post

Dude, you got theargument down real good.

Frankly, I Virginia Carry in an IWB to avoid such confrontations, since I'm usually alone when I'm out. I carry this way in most places, so I don't post those places a 'gun friendly,' as I try to be hyper-discrete about it.

My OWB rig is generally limited to when I'm out with a group.

ed

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I Virginia Carry in an IWB
There is hadly enough room for ME Inside my Waistband (I know.. then I should not be getting hot fudge and custard).

I have tried.. I used full OC or for CC I use tshirt over the top and Smart Carry for deal conceal.. (and yes.. the kimber 45 is just fine in the smart carry). BUt.. if I CC I don't have the opportunity to educate others.

Ed

hsmith

imported post

Well I hope that everyone who does OC can swing by there and show support for the business, even if it is only once and makes a point to say hello to the owner - them knowing we take care of those that take care of us will go a long way!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
TFred wrote:
Hmm... makes me wonder what would happen in a similar situation at Carl's here in Fredericksburg. I'd be half afraid that the sight of it would give the 140 year old security guard a heart attack...

TFred
Have you tried Carl's? I would bet you'd be fine.
How long does that line at Carl's take? Both times I drove by yesterday, the line was snaked around. I've heard of the place, but never stopped.

TFred

imported post

Tess wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
Have you tried Carl's? I would bet you'd be fine.
How long does that line at Carl's take? Both times I drove by yesterday, the line was snaked around. I've heard of the place, but never stopped.
I haven't ever tried OC'ing there, and I don't get out there as often as I used to (see Ed's remark above...)

The line is definitely intimidating to the inexperienced, but they are professional money takers. I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes no matter how long the line wraps around. For me, Carl's is usually a social event, so there are friends with which to pass the time anyway.

Just found this, funny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl%27s_Ice_Cream

TFred

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
TFred wrote:
I just read that, and the part I found "funny" is that we were talking about OCing INTO a place that you don't even go into.. It is a walk-up window.. right?
Yep, but certainly private property. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like OC, it can get quite crowded in the front there, and there are usually a lot of little kids. Of course it all depends on the owners, I shouldn't assume.

TFred

ed

imported post

TFred wrote:
ed wrote:
TFred wrote:
I just read that, and the part I found "funny" is that we were talking about OCing INTO a place that you don't even go into.. It is a walk-up window.. right?
Yep, but certainly private property. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like OC, it can get quite crowded in the front there, and there are usually a lot of little kids. Of course it all depends on the owners, I shouldn't assume.

TFred
The situation reminds me of Jared Jewelers.. you pull in the parkign lot.. go to the door and read.. "No firearms inside or anywhere on the property, etc" even tho you are probably standing there (armed) reading the do not enter sign.

TFred

imported post

ced wrote:
TFred wrote:
ed wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
The situation reminds me of Jared Jewelers.. you pull in the parkign lot.. go to the door and read.. "No firearms inside or anywhere on the property, etc" even tho you are probably standing there (armed) reading the do not enter sign.
The guard they usually have there is very proactive against loitering. Once you finish your snack, he is not at all shy about coming up and telling you to leave, especially if you are a group of teens.

I decided several years ago that if he ever comes up to me, I will hand him my empty cup and cheerfully say "Why thank you, what good service they have here!" :)

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know Skidmark has OC'd there in the past - at least, he has left an OC meetup with the stated intention of stopping at Carls. (And trust me, that's a pretty scary person.) Never heard that he had an issue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
I know Skidmark has OC'd there in the past - at least, he has left an OC meetup with the stated intention of stopping at Carls. (And trust me, that's a pretty scary person.) Never heard that he had an issue.
Skid & I wanted to stop at Carls on the way back from the Culpeper shoot on Sat. but found the line to be too extremely long.

Did stop at Allman's BBQ for carry out. Restaurant was alive with activity and conversation when we came in - went tomb silent and stayed that way all the time we were there. :shock:

Yata hey