• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

chp-dui

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

stock91lx wrote:
can i be denied my application for a chp if i recieved a dui

You can read the disqualifications at the link below. If you still have a question, feel free to ask. I would copy and paste them here, but the list is a little long.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

PS: Puncuation and capitalization help.

Edited to add: Youmight look closely at this section: 18.2-308.E.9:

9. An individual who has been convicted of a violation of § 18.2-266 or a substantially similar local ordinance or of public drunkenness within the three-year period immediately preceding the application, or who is a habitual drunkard as determined pursuant to § 4.1-333.

mercutio545

imported post

§ 4.1-333. Interdiction of intoxicated driver or habitual drunkard. A. When after a hearing upon due notice it appears to the satisfaction of the circuit court of any county or city that any person, residing within such county or city, has been convicted of driving any automobile, truck, motorcycle, engine or train while intoxicated or has shown himself to be an habitual drunkard, the court may enter an order of interdiction prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages to such person until further ordered. The court entering any such order shall file a copy of the order with the Board.

Man, what are we going to do about those drunk train drivers?

VAopencarry

imported post

Yes, 3 years have to elapse from date of DUI conviction.

DOH!! guess I should have read Citizens post....am just so used to ignoring him.:p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edited to delete question. I looked it up and answered it myself, like I should have done in the first place.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
kenny wrote:
Virginia does not expunge records with convictions, only arrests without a conviction or acquittal.
hmm I guess that he will have to wait then bummer:?

Call VA State Police and ask them if you disqualify. It can't hurt. The worst you'll get is a "Nope." :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
SNIP Call VA State Police and ask them if you disqualify. It can't hurt. The worst you'll get is a "Nope." :)
Ahhhhhhhh!! Heresy!! :)

It is longstanding wisdom on this board not to ask police anything about legalities. Too often they get it wrong or give skewed answers, deliberately or otherwise.

Best to do your own research or ask an attorney.

kenny

imported post

Citizen wrote
hhhhhhhh!! Heresy!! :)

It is longstanding wisdom on this board not to ask police anything about legalities. Too often they get it wrong or give skewed answers, deliberately or otherwise.

Best to do your own research or ask an attorney.
Personally I have found the staff at the VSP Firearms Unit to be very friendly and helpful. I guess it is all in how you approach them.

So I suggest you try the nice approach, after all the workers are civilians, not Troopers.