Thread: New to open Carry

Post imported post

Well first off. Hello all. I'm new to the forums as well as open carry.
    I have been "lurking" reading up and researching Open Carry for a while.
    Just reading over the K.R.S. and other fine literature.

For some background on myself. I am 19 years old, I have and would be open carrying a Springfield Armory full size 1911 in a Triple K Belt holster. Also as a side note I already carry K.R.S. 527.100 ( Which defines possesion of a handgun by a minor, and clearly states minor being under 18, just to ease up on the hassle. )

I received the 1911 as a gift. Thus as far as I have read this is legal.
    The holster is very visible and hangs on my strong side.

I have asked a LEO about OC and was told it was illegal for someone under the age of 21 to be in possession of a handgun. I haven't been able to back that up with any law. Though I am aware someone under the age of 21 can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer. Which is not in the case with me. Is it infact a crime to be in possession of a handgun under the age of 21? ( But over 18 of course )

I was told that even if it is holstered on my right side ( clearly visible ) it is considered concealed if the officer is directly on my left side and can't see it from afar. Which I have yet to find anything to back that up also. Is this correct or not? If so, how in the world do you open carry?

Now no LEO bashing. I'm asking to confirm or deny, just to clear things up do I can get out and OC.

Thank you, and just so you know, I indeed do not take every word I hear for fact. I just wanted to clear this up.

Post imported post

First....Welcome!

You are legal to carry open. You know the rules about NOT purchasing from an FFL opposed to OWNING a hand gun after your 18th birthday.

If clearly visible, then it isn't considered concealed even if it cannot be seen from afar. Just be sensible and you're OK to carry.

Post imported post

Haha Well thank you both. That about what I was thinking.