Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: First OC experience

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Yes, I do, when appropriate. Today I was hiking. That's an appropriate time for open carry in the Kalifornia of the East Coast.

    Anywho...

    I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Only one person even said anything. This middle-aged guy and his two young sons came up behind us (gf and I). I said hi and nodded, likeI do to everyone. After about a minute of them walking behind us I hear, "Is that a Glock?" I told him it wasn't and he asked me why I chose it over a Glock. How's that for an on the spot question for someone that hates Glocks with a passion, but is trying to be as nice as possible? I gave him the short version of my anti-striker fired pistol shpeel, which he obviously couldn't follow from the time I opened my mouth. He said he'd have to look up HK's because he'd never heard of them.

    Based on the conversation so farI was pretty surprised at his positive reaction from someone (someone from CT, no less)that had minimal firearms knowledge and probably doesn't even own a gun. Then he really surprised me by saying, "well I feel a lot safer with you out here." I kinda chuckled and thanked him for the positive response and told him it was nice to see not everyone was freaked out by guns. I said I felt more comfortable having it while being in the woods because I'm afraidof animals. To which he responded, "What kind you mean, the four legged or two legged?" That really surprised me. I said bothand we all got a good laugh at it.



    So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Springfield45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Awesome ... yet another good experience .... Glad you didn't have any trouble AWD.

    ~~Springfield

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    It is appropriate to always use your RKBA lawfully everywhere ...

    As long as it is not your pinkHK .

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    R a Z o R wrote:
    It is appropriate to always use your RKBA lawfully everywhere ...

    As long as it is not your pinkHK .
    My pink gun is a Sig. :P

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    R a Z o R wrote:
    It is appropriate to always use your RKBA lawfully everywhere ...

    As long as it is not your pinkHK .
    My pink gun is a Sig. :P

    :what::what::what:Oh my bad .


  6. #6
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Yes, I do, when appropriate. Today I was hiking. That's an appropriate time for open carry in the Kalifornia of the East Coast.

    Anywho...

    I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Only one person even said anything. This middle-aged guy and his two young sons came up behind us (gf and I). I said hi and nodded, likeI do to everyone. After about a minute of them walking behind us I hear, "Is that a Glock?" I told him it wasn't and he asked me why I chose it over a Glock. How's that for an on the spot question for someone that hates Glocks with a passion, but is trying to be as nice as possible? I gave him the short version of my anti-striker fired pistol shpeel, which he obviously couldn't follow from the time I opened my mouth. He said he'd have to look up HK's because he'd never heard of them.

    Based on the conversation so farI was pretty surprised at his positive reaction from someone (someone from CT, no less)that had minimal firearms knowledge and probably doesn't even own a gun. Then he really surprised me by saying, "well I feel a lot safer with you out here." I kinda chuckled and thanked him for the positive response and told him it was nice to see not everyone was freaked out by guns. I said I felt more comfortable having it while being in the woods because I'm afraidof animals. To which he responded, "What kind you mean, the four legged or two legged?" That really surprised me. I said bothand we all got a good laugh at it.



    So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.
    Patriot's Day Salutations-

    As a permanent resident of the real California, I can tell you that the response you received (or lack thereof) is common even here on the left coast. Most people do not succumb to apoplexy and most mind their own business.

    I do take exception to the comment about appropriateness. I have carried in banks, grocery stores, gas stations and personally, I cannot think of an instance when it is not appropriate to be prepared to defend yourself. The reason is that no one knows when you may be required to defend yourself.

    Is being armed a socially charged activity? Yes, but again our experiences with peoples tolerance, proves that its not nearly as big a deal as detractors would have you believe.

    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the club!! Well done. And well done on handling your first interaction.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    I do take exception to the comment about appropriateness. I have carried in banks, grocery stores, gas stations and personally, I cannot think of an instance when it is not appropriate to be prepared to defend yourself. The reason is that no one knows when you may be required to defend yourself.

    Is being armed a socially charged activity? Yes, but again our experiences with peoples tolerance, proves that its not nearly as big a deal as detractors would have you believe.
    My comment has more to do with personal tactical beliefs than it does with fundamental objections.

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.
    So you were wrong about your expectations of peoples reactions.
    Who knows, maybe you're wrong about the mall and the grocery store, too.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Nice Story. It's so hard to believe that you wrote it !

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Good for you, AWDstylez. I enjoyed reading your account.

    This is the kind of progress this forum exists for.

  12. #12
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Hey.. I carry a Glock. (I also carry a Kahr from time to time).

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    flintlock tom wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.
    So you were wrong about your expectations of peoples reactions.
    Who knows, maybe you're wrong about the mall and the grocery store, too.
    When I'm in the woods my main concern is animals. It makes no difference whether animals see my gun or not. So, for one, it's more comfortable to OC and that's the main reason I did it. Secondly, it's obviously a faster draw than out from under a shirt.

    The mall (or urban land in general) is a little different. My main concern there is bad people. It DOES matter if a bad person sees I have a gun. I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise. If they see my gun, they already have the jump on me. That's the main reason I don't OC in an urban setting.

    Obviously that's all IMO, so let's not start the OC vs CC debate...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    "I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise."

    I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having? Last time I checked pistols are for self defense, which would mean that you are not on the prowl to shoot somebody, but rather react to situations already present, thus losing any element of surprise. BG's nearly always have the surprise because they are the ones doing the attacking.

    Just my two cents, not flaming you or attempting to kindle a debate.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Kenosis wrote:
    "I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise."

    I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having? Last time I checked pistols are for self defense, which would mean that you are not on the prowl to shoot somebody, but rather react to situations already present, thus losing any element of surprise. BG's nearly always have the surprise because they are the ones doing the attacking.

    Just my two cents, not flaming you or attempting to kindle a debate.
    10 posts. You haven't been here that long. Prepare for your sparring lesson with AWDstylez.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Kenosis wrote:
    "I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise."

    I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having?

    "Surprise! I have a gun and you didn't know it!"

    As opposed to...

    BG: "Hey, that guy has a gun. I'll kill him first."

    No surprise there.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, ,
    Posts
    695

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    "Surprise! I have a gun and you didn't know it!"

    As opposed to...

    BG: "Hey, that guy has a gun. I'll kill him first."

    No surprise there.
    or maybe...

    "oh s#!t, that guy has a gun too.... maybe I should find a better place to rob.

    regardless of the idea, most armed robbers don't intend, nor do they want, to kill someone. the gun is just a tool used for intimidation to them. not to mention the fact that many are so pumped up on adrenaline... or synthetic substitutes... that they don't bother to thoroughly investigate the patrons....

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    How could anyone like a Glock? I get asked that question about my XD.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    unreconstructed1 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    "Surprise! I have a gun and you didn't know it!"

    As opposed to...

    BG: "Hey, that guy has a gun. I'll kill him first."

    No surprise there.
    or maybe...

    "oh s#!t, that guy has a gun too.... maybe I should find a better place to rob.

    regardless of the idea, most armed robbers don't intend, nor do they want, to kill someone. the gun is just a tool used for intimidation to them. not to mention the fact that many are so pumped up on adrenaline... or synthetic substitutes... that they don't bother to thoroughly investigate the patrons....

    It's personal opinion, really. Until someone has some concrete evidence about what happens when encountering an armedBG while OCing, then it's all just speculation.


  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    It's going to be hard to come up with such proof, since those who might have intended to commit a crime but were deterred by OC aren't going to step up and let anybody know it for a poll.

    AWDstylez wrote:
    "Surprise! I have a gun and you didn't know it!"

    As opposed to...

    BG: "Hey, that guy has a gun. I'll kill him first."

    No surprise there.
    Hey, that guy has a gun, I'll kill...oh crap, so does that guy over there...and that group of women are all armed, and...and maybe I'd better just go home and rethink this whole thing. The more OC the better.

    However, something else to consider is that even if they'rewilling toengage in a shootout, if they're attempting a robbery that shootout would provide time for a call to the police, which is something that would ruin a robbery attempt. Nobody wants to rob a place when they know the police willprobably be waiting for them at the door, thusdeterring them from making the attempt at all.

    Imho, ymmv, afaik, teto, et al, etc.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    NightOwl wrote:
    However, something else to consider is that even if they'rewilling toengage in a shootout, if they're attempting a robbery that shootout would provide time for a call to the police, which is something that would ruin a robbery attempt.

    That's the whole point; it isn't going to be a shootout. You're going to get capped in the back of thehead the second the guy walks in and then he'll continue along his merry way.

    Like I said, it's personal preference. No one can prove it either way, and no one can even prove that OC deters anything. I OC in rural settings for comfort and quick draw, and I CC in urban settingsto remain under the radar and have as much of an advantage as possible.



  22. #22
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    NightOwl wrote:
    However, something else to consider is that even if they'rewilling toengage in a shootout, if they're attempting a robbery that shootout would provide time for a call to the police, which is something that would ruin a robbery attempt.

    That's the whole point; it isn't going to be a shootout. You're going to get capped in the back of thehead the second the guy walks in and then he'll continue along his merry way.

    Like I said, it's personal preference. No one can prove it either way, and no one can even prove that OC deters anything. I OC in rural settings for comfort and quick draw, and I CC in urban settingsto remain under the radar and have as much of an advantage as possible.

    I'm curious what you would accept as proof.
    There are postings on various forums, in the last two weeks, of what would seem to be crime deterrence due to open carry.
    1. A guy pumping gas with a holstered pistol observes a car pull up to the side of the mini-mart. One passenger jumps out, motor still running, and heads for the door. The driver of the car looks at the armed customer, yells at the guy headed for the door and the guy does an about face, gets back in the car and the car leaves in a hurry.
    2. An armed citizen, shopping in a convenience store, observes two people come in and walk to separate corners of the store, they don't appear to be looking at products. One of them notices the armed customer, goes over to their friend and they both leave.
    3. Owner of a liquor store, after being robbed, starts wearing a belt gun. One warm evening a customer comes in with a hooded sweatshirt pulled up and his hands in the front pocket. The "customer" notices the owner has a gun, does a double-take, turns around and leaves.

    These may be simply anecdotal accounts, but they seem plausible to me.

    If you're waiting for accounts like this to be reported in your local newspaper, you may be in for a long wait. Mostly because it's not "news", no crime took place, no police report, no high drama.


  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    flintlock tom wrote:
    I'm curious what you would accept as proof.

    "I know a guy who _____" Is not proof of anything. Not to mention that those stories are extreme stretches to make the point,even on a good day.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    "There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate the number of DGU's annually. "

    http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

    I would assume that these run the entire gamut of CC, OC, car, home and business defense. How about this for an assumption a CC gun will deter nothing, for the intent is that noone knows it is there. An OC gun may/may not deter, but people know it is there. Regardless I like OC but am getting my CCP permit soon to expand my options, particularly when out with my wife and kids. To paraphrase Townes Van Zandt " I carry my gun outside my belt for all the dishonest world to feel."

    In the end it's your gun Stylez, do what you wish. I think we need both OC and CC to keep the crocks on their toes, keeps 'em guessing.

  25. #25
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    flintlock tom wrote:
    I'm curious what you would accept as proof.

    "I know a guy who _____" Is not proof of anything. Not to mention that those stories are extreme stretches to make the point,even on a good day.
    Okay, fair enough, but I was not posting them as proof, I was posting them as a summary of a first-hand account. The postings referenced were first-hand accounts.
    First-hand accounts are not "I know a guy who...".
    So, if not first-hand accounts, and absent news reports, what would you accept as proof?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •