• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Yes, I do, when appropriate. Today I was hiking. That's an appropriate time for open carry in the Kalifornia of the East Coast.

Anywho...

I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Only one person even said anything. This middle-aged guy and his two young sons came up behind us (gf and I). I said hi and nodded, likeI do to everyone. After about a minute of them walking behind us I hear, "Is that a Glock?" I told him it wasn't and he asked me why I chose it over a Glock. How's that for an on the spot question for someone that hates Glocks with a passion, but is trying to be as nice as possible? I gave him the short version of my anti-striker fired pistol shpeel, which he obviously couldn't follow from the time I opened my mouth. He said he'd have to look up HK's because he'd never heard of them.

Based on the conversation so farI was pretty surprised at his positive reaction from someone (someone from CT, no less)that had minimal firearms knowledge and probably doesn't even own a gun. Then he really surprised me by saying, "well I feel a lot safer with you out here." I kinda chuckled and thanked him for the positive response and told him it was nice to see not everyone was freaked out by guns. I said I felt more comfortable having it while being in the woods because I'm afraidof animals. To which he responded, "What kind you mean, the four legged or two legged?" That really surprised me. I said bothand we all got a good laugh at it.

So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Yes, I do, when appropriate. Today I was hiking. That's an appropriate time for open carry in the Kalifornia of the East Coast.

Anywho...

I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Only one person even said anything. This middle-aged guy and his two young sons came up behind us (gf and I). I said hi and nodded, likeI do to everyone. After about a minute of them walking behind us I hear, "Is that a Glock?" I told him it wasn't and he asked me why I chose it over a Glock. How's that for an on the spot question for someone that hates Glocks with a passion, but is trying to be as nice as possible? I gave him the short version of my anti-striker fired pistol shpeel, which he obviously couldn't follow from the time I opened my mouth. He said he'd have to look up HK's because he'd never heard of them.

Based on the conversation so farI was pretty surprised at his positive reaction from someone (someone from CT, no less)that had minimal firearms knowledge and probably doesn't even own a gun. Then he really surprised me by saying, "well I feel a lot safer with you out here." I kinda chuckled and thanked him for the positive response and told him it was nice to see not everyone was freaked out by guns. I said I felt more comfortable having it while being in the woods because I'm afraidof animals. To which he responded, "What kind you mean, the four legged or two legged?" That really surprised me. I said bothand we all got a good laugh at it.

So, not gonna lie, I was pretty amazed. Everyone on here always says how benign or positive most people's reactions are, but I gotta say I'm pretty surprised to see that in CT. All-in-all it was a positive experience. But, for the record, you won't catch me open carrying in the mall or grocery store. It's all about appropriateness.
Patriot's Day Salutations-

As a permanent resident of the real California, I can tell you that the response you received (or lack thereof) is common even here on the left coast. Most people do not succumb to apoplexy and most mind their own business.

I do take exception to the comment about appropriateness. I have carried in banks, grocery stores, gas stations and personally, I cannot think of an instance when it is not appropriate to be prepared to defend yourself. The reason is that no one knows when you may be required to defend yourself.

Is being armed a socially charged activity? Yes, but again our experiences with peoples tolerance, proves that its not nearly as big a deal as detractors would have you believe.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I do take exception to the comment about appropriateness. I have carried in banks, grocery stores, gas stations and personally, I cannot think of an instance when it is not appropriate to be prepared to defend yourself. The reason is that no one knows when you may be required to defend yourself.

Is being armed a socially charged activity? Yes, but again our experiences with peoples tolerance, proves that its not nearly as big a deal as detractors would have you believe.
My comment has more to do with personal tactical beliefs than it does with fundamental objections.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
So you were wrong about your expectations of peoples reactions.
Who knows, maybe you're wrong about the mall and the grocery store, too.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
So you were wrong about your expectations of peoples reactions.
Who knows, maybe you're wrong about the mall and the grocery store, too.

When I'm in the woods my main concern is animals. It makes no difference whether animals see my gun or not. So, for one, it's more comfortable to OC and that's the main reason I did it. Secondly, it's obviously a faster draw than out from under a shirt.

The mall (or urban land in general) is a little different. My main concern there is bad people. It DOES matter if a bad person sees I have a gun. I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise. If they see my gun, they already have the jump on me. That's the main reason I don't OC in an urban setting.

Obviously that's all IMO, so let's not start the OC vs CC debate...

Kenosis

imported post

"I'd prefer to remain under the radar and have the element of surprise."

I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having? Last time I checked pistols are for self defense, which would mean that you are not on the prowl to shoot somebody, but rather react to situations already present, thus losing any element of surprise. BG's nearly always have the surprise because they are the ones doing the attacking.

Just my two cents, not flaming you or attempting to kindle a debate.

Statesman

imported post

Kenosis wrote:

I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having? Last time I checked pistols are for self defense, which would mean that you are not on the prowl to shoot somebody, but rather react to situations already present, thus losing any element of surprise. BG's nearly always have the surprise because they are the ones doing the attacking.

Just my two cents, not flaming you or attempting to kindle a debate.
10 posts. You haven't been here that long. Prepare for your sparring lesson with AWDstylez.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Kenosis wrote:

I understand that is your opinion, but it irks me when people make this statement. What surprise, exactly, are you planning on having?

"Surprise! I have a gun and you didn't know it!"

As opposed to...

BG: "Hey, that guy has a gun. I'll kill him first."

No surprise there.

unreconstructed1

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:

As opposed to...

No surprise there.
or maybe...

"oh s#!t, that guy has a gun too.... maybe I should find a better place to rob.

regardless of the idea, most armed robbers don't intend, nor do they want, to kill someone. the gun is just a tool used for intimidation to them. not to mention the fact that many are so pumped up on adrenaline... or synthetic substitutes... that they don't bother to thoroughly investigate the patrons....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

As opposed to...

No surprise there.
or maybe...

"oh s#!t, that guy has a gun too.... maybe I should find a better place to rob.

regardless of the idea, most armed robbers don't intend, nor do they want, to kill someone. the gun is just a tool used for intimidation to them. not to mention the fact that many are so pumped up on adrenaline... or synthetic substitutes... that they don't bother to thoroughly investigate the patrons....

It's personal opinion, really. Until someone has some concrete evidence about what happens when encountering an armedBG while OCing, then it's all just speculation.

NightOwl

imported post

It's going to be hard to come up with such proof, since those who might have intended to commit a crime but were deterred by OC aren't going to step up and let anybody know it for a poll.

AWDstylez wrote:

As opposed to...

No surprise there.

Hey, that guy has a gun, I'll kill...oh crap, so does that guy over there...and that group of women are all armed, and...and maybe I'd better just go home and rethink this whole thing. The more OC the better.

However, something else to consider is that even if they'rewilling toengage in a shootout, if they're attempting a robbery that shootout would provide time for a call to the police, which is something that would ruin a robbery attempt. Nobody wants to rob a place when they know the police willprobably be waiting for them at the door, thusdeterring them from making the attempt at all.

Imho, ymmv, afaik, teto, et al, etc.