• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Park rules prohibiting firearms

JOESEEB

imported post

A few weeks ago OC'ed to the park across the street form my apartment complex. there are no signs at the entrance except the on with the name of the park where we entered. Today i drove past the the parking lot entrance and noticed that it prohibits firearms. this sign is in an area where most people dont enter the park from and is only visible if you enter through the parking area. my question is about the legality of this sign. the sign says NOT PROMITED fireworks and firearms. the park is ran by parks and recs. and was donated in 2005. i took pics and tried to pot them but they dont show up so here is my myspace web address for these pics. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=1091735

is it legal for this public park to prohibit firearms? if not then i want these signs removed as i live in an area that in the recent past has had some problems. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As is pretty well established, Washington State has preemption of firearms laws and only has a few places statutorily off limits to guns. This is addressed in the FAQ's sticked at the top of the forum, most notably in question 1. The short answer is that the off limits posting violates state preemption, and is thus preempted and repealed.

Phssthpok

imported post

Don't have MySpace. can't view photo.

Regardless, that 'rule' is preempted and cannot be legally enforced.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

JOESEEB wrote:
A few weeks ago OC'ed to the park across the street form my apartment complex. there are no signs at the entrance except the on with the name of the park where we entered. Today i drove past the the parking lot entrance and noticed that it prohibits firearms. this sign is in an area where most people dont enter the park from and is only visible if you enter through the parking area. my question is about the legality of this sign. the sign says NOT PROMITED fireworks and firearms. the park is ran by parks and recs. and was donated in 2005. i took pics and tried to pot them but they dont show up so here is my myspace web address for these pics. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=1091735

is it legal for this public park to prohibit firearms? if not then i want these signs removed as i live in an area that in the recent past has had some problems. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

You need to contact the city manager and demand that the illegal signs be removed. Localities are preempted in Washington.

To post photos, try attaching them using the browse button.

Phssthpok

imported post

You need to contact the city manager and demand that the illegal signs be removed. Localities are preempted in Washington.

P&R is fully aware of the preemption, and no prosecution will result. They just haven't bothered to change the signs yet.

I think they're just waiting until the next round of replacements to take care of it in the interest of saving money...updating the signs as they get serviced/replaced due to age so to speak.

JOESEEB

imported post

i tried to post them but the photo would not appear just a box with an x in it. i figured as i have read the preemption and the FAQ but just wanted to make sure before i fought it. thanks and i will be fighting this.

JOESEEB

imported post

I just got off the phone with Brian Potter with Parks and rec in Vancouver wa and him and I had a very nice talk about the signs. He informed me that those signs are to be replaced but that they have to replace them slowly ad it would cost a lot of money to replace them all at once. he also informed me that they have been working very closely with the VPD and that they are aware that they can not enforce this portion of the sign-age. also that all new parks will have the new signs and that they will be phasing out the old signs.

Brian was extremely friendly (CHP and NRA member) and very knowledgeable about opencarry. Our conversation was completely different then i expected ( he agreed and understood they needed to be removed and assured me that they are working on removal of old signs). He also told me that if i had any problems with the VPD to drop his name and inform them about our conversation. Now where to wage the next battle??????