• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My new 9mm

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Bump :)

OC/CC 9mm wrote:
I am a proud owner of a Ruger SR9 today. Just got back from the dealer... Can't wait to do some test drive this weekend.

I thank you for your comments and suggestions during my decision making. Ruger did look like the best gun in the price range I can afford.

I'll be posting my OC/CC(when I get my license) experiences to share them with you :)

Leo :dude:

Madrigar

imported post

My vote (of course all of this is personal preference):

Smith and Wesson M&P 9 regular or compact

I looked at the Glock's, the XD's, and the M&P's, and for me the M&P (although a newer gun) is S&W's answer to the Glock, but it was VERY comfortable in my hand! I just didn't like the "blocky" feel of the Glock when holding it. The M&P can be had with no safety at all (they all have a trigger safety though), a magazine disconnect safety, and/or an optional manual thumb safety. Mine has no safety except the trigger, so I always know it goes BOOM when I pull the trigger (as they say the first thing to go in a confrontation is fine motor skills - don't want to fumble for a thumb safety).

Oh, and I am new here as well! Going for my CCDW class tomorrow. Previously a software programmer, but now in sales engineering :)

Good luck on your decision, but also consider an M&P 9...

EDIT: Oops... missed the last post somehow on the Ruger.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

This is my very first gun that I own. It demanded respect out of box and that's what it will get from me as long as I own it.

The shots are the last 10 of my first day. I shot around 40+ shots. My very first ones little off the targets, until I got used to the sights. All my practices 30 feet range. I might try bit more later on but 30 feet should be enough for defense practices.

I think this will be my last post under this subject. I probably will see you on the other posts :)

Madrigar

imported post

Thanks for asking - it went well, but MAN OH MAN is that DVD TERRIBLE for Kentucky! Spelling errors, typo's, boring... At least we took breaks after each half hour or so to break up the terrible video. The other instruction items were sprinkled in during the breaks, then we went to some lovely private property to shoot our 20 rounds (which I had a nice grouping right across the abdomen :)

Was kinda nice, because half the people in the class were open carrying during the class and at the "range". There were actually a couple of bicyclists taking a break when we arrived probably enjoying the nature and creek, and I can only imagine what they thought when a bunch of cars pulled up and people got out with guns on their sides on a Kentucky back-road!

Just waiting for my certificate now so I can put in the paperwork at the Sheriff's office. Wife (with a Bersa .380 CC) and Mom (with a new 9mm SA XD Sub-compact)qualified with me!

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Congrats ;) seems like you had fun. What's not to have fun when you shoot anyways :D

I can't wait for my class, which is scheduled to May 30th.. no earlier classes available LOL

:dude:

Madrigar wrote:

Thanks for asking - it went well, but MAN OH MAN is that DVD TERRIBLE for Kentucky! Spelling errors, typo's, boring... At least we took breaks after each half hour or so to break up the terrible video. The other instruction items were sprinkled in during the breaks, then we went to some lovely private property to shoot our 20 rounds (which I had a nice grouping right across the abdomen :)

Was kinda nice, because half the people in the class were open carrying during the class and at the "range". There were actually a couple of bicyclists taking a break when we arrived probably enjoying the nature and creek, and I can only imagine what they thought when a bunch of cars pulled up and people got out with guns on their sides on a Kentucky back-road!

Just waiting for my certificate now so I can put in the paperwork at the Sheriff's office. Wife (with a Bersa .380 CC) and Mom (with a new 9mm SA XD Sub-compact)qualified with me!