• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My new 9mm

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Update here. Ruger SR9 Photos

04/25/2009 :arrow:
------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

I am very new here. Just a quick introduction, I live in Arizona. Just became a member of Scottsdale Gun club and signed up for CCW class.

I own a Harley, my full time transportation... and I am a software engineer.

Glock 19, XD 9mm compact and S7W M&P 9mm compact... Next week I am going to buy one of these. Price range around 600 buck. My specs for the gun: 9mm, single action and compact size.

Would anyone suggest me to try out some other pistol other than the ones I listed above? It probably going to be a lifetime purchase, so I would like to find the best for the best price :)

Thanks

PS: to those who don't know about it, guntalk.com and guntalk.tv are the places I am hooked since I found them.

smash29

imported post

If I had the choice of those 3 I'd voted heavily for the Glock but I'd like to suggest the Glock 26 in place of the 19 if you're looking for a comparably sized gun to match up against the XD and M&P compacts. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 19 and personally think it's the best gun out there for the money buta 26 would be more of an"apples to apples" comparison. As MrMitch said, you should buy what works best for you and the only way to find that out is try them all out.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try 26 next week before I make my decision.

What would be the similar comparison to 19? XD full size? I haven't tried any full sizes. I tried compacts only, thinking they all would be similar sizes… around 4 inch barrel.

The sight of Glock seemed friendlier to my eyes. First try, I had better grouping with Glock’s sights than three dots. I think little practice needed there, I don't want to jump into conclusion and blame the gun for that. I also thought heavier pistols would be better to ease the recoil. The mass of the gun should help for the kick. I didn't feel any difference thought, Glock was easy to hold up and aim because of its light weight.

I am going to get me a holster next week as well and start OCing... and watch the reactions (can't wait). I saw many people here around town with OC, so it shouldn’t be that strange for the people where I live.

Until I decided to get a gun, I never noticed how many people are carrying guns in Phoenix :|

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

OC/CC 9mm wrote:
Hi all,

I am very new here. Just a quick introduction, I live in Arizona. Just became a member of Scottsdale Gun club and signed up for CCW class.

Glock 19, XD 9mm compact and S7W M&P 9mm compact... Next week I am going to buy one of these. Price range around 600 buck. My specs for the gun: 9mm, single action and compact size.

Would anyone suggest me to try out some other pistol other than the ones I listed above? It probably going to be a lifetime purchase, so I would like to find the best for the best price :)

Thanks

PS: to those who don't know about it, guntalk.com and guntalk.tv are the places I am hooked since I found them.

First off, welcome aboard! We're glad to have you here.

If your "spec" for you selection are 9mm and single action, none of the ones you have listed here apply. The Glock, the XD, and I'm pretty sure the M&P are all DAO (Double Action Only) so if your specs are true to form, you might as well forget any of those.

However, if you are willing to compromise, I can speak for the Glock and the XD since I have five Glocks (have owned seven) and one XD40. Both are fine pieces, but Imust tell you that my primary carry piece is one of my Glock 23's; perhaps one of the best all around combat defensive sidearms you can carry.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

I see. Ok, that makes sense, although somehow striker fire count as not DA? I don't know. Their action is rather lighter than DA gun with the hammer. I saw XD has an indicator, cocked "pin" shows in the back. I am confused about all this but what I mean by SA only I guess is "SF" only :)

I may have to try a few more guns before I make my mind; I haven't tried any gun with the hammer yet. It might not be that bad to have DA/SA gun after all :)

SouthernBoy wrote: [/b]

First off, welcome aboard! We're glad to have you here.

If your "spec" for you selection are 9mm and single action, none of the ones you have listed here apply. The Glock, the XD, and I'm pretty sure the M&P are all DAO (Double Action Only) so if your specs are true to form, you might as well forget any of those.

However, if you are willing to compromise, I can speak for the Glock and the XD since I have five Glocks (have owned seven) and one XD40. Both are fine pieces, but Imust tell you that my primary carry piece is one of my Glock 23's; perhaps one of the best all around combat defensive sidearms you can carry.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

FYI, I found a website about this subject. I am new here, so there might be some talk went over this (or still on going)

Note to Webmaster: I think this forum sitemight havea bug, I couldn't edit my previous post at all. Kept putting the original text instead of edited text even when I preview (preview came out without my changes) so I had to post another one :(... even though it seems like working now.

PT111

imported post

i have a Tarus PT111 9mm that I like the trigger on. However lots of people do not like it as it is a long trigger pull but the fact that it is SA makes it much easier for me to be accurate than the DA types.

You will find lots of Tarus haters but mine has been perfect with no problems and much cheaper than the Glock or XD. One other advantage is that my short fat fingers just do not fit the slightly larger grip of the Glock. All that you have named are good choices, you just have to find the one you like best. I went into the gun store fully intending to buy a XD9SD but found the Tarus abotu $150 less and haven't regreted it one bit.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

I will make sure check those too. I heard good things about Taurus in general, so if the store carries that brand, I probably give it a try first :)

thanks

PT111 wrote:
i have a Tarus PT111 9mm that I like the trigger on. However lots of people do not like it as it is a long trigger pull but the fact that it is SA makes it much easier for me to be accurate than the DA types.

You will find lots of Tarus haters but mine has been perfect with no problems and much cheaper than the Glock or XD. One other advantage is that my short fat fingers just do not fit the slightly larger grip of the Glock. All that you have named are good choices, you just have to find the one you like best. I went into the gun store fully intending to buy a XD9SD but found the Tarus abotu $150 less and haven't regreted it one bit.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

smash29 wrote:
In that price range I'd check out the Ruger SR9.

It's around $100 savings. I kind of like Ruger SR9, tried it. Glock wins the accuracy, but it is totally me, I know that. For a starter like myself, I think I should save as much as I can, and practice with inexpensive weapons first.

Still looking around though :)

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Ok, I am down to two options so far, and Friday is getting closer ;)

Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm Stainless, 12R, excellent reviews. Very good price. perfect for CC and very good accuracy (it seems)... around $350 delivery

Ruger SR9 9MM 17R Stainless, $390 delivery, again very good reviews.

I know 40 bucks not much different, and Ruger gets more fire power, although Taurus looks like head to head with other things.

Any suggestions, ideas or comments?

Thanks

PS: Glock and XD out of list as of now.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yep. If at all possible, try to visit a range where you can rent guns. See if they have one of the ones you're considering and shoot it.

Another thing you can do is find a website dedicated to these two choices and read up about any problems, faults, or other such reporting you might be able to find.

Lastly, many times you can pick up a fine gun at a gun show for less than you are likely to see at a shop. The past February, I bought a new XD40 4" Service Model for $419.99 at a show. That's a heck of a low price for that gun. And new Glocks tend to go for around $485 at shows here - the basic models with no factory options, that is.

Good luck in your search and final decision. BTW, I'm a software engineer, too.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Hey, another software engineer, that's cool. Programming something I do forever, although my style is dying fast, now it's time to learn C#... I am a VB6 programmer. Although some people laugh, the company I work with has only two... and legacy applications they are supporting are in VB. So, I believe my job is secure at least another year or two LOL until I learn C# that is.

Yes, I am a member of Scottsdale Gun club. I have tried 5 or 6 different handguns since few weeks back. Glock is the lightest and most accrued one for me, although I have other things that I don't want on Glock (keep it personal with me to not to start a fight LOL)

So, I will go check out this weekend if other ranges have the pistol I am looking for (I also tried Ruger SR9) even if not, I heard and read enough about (but not used) Taurus pt111... seems like promising gun. they seem like clean it up nicely before delivery LOL.

One more day, actually maybe two, if I want to try other guns this weekend.

I am going to be in Phoenix Saturday morning to visit ST exhibition (yeap, half geek half cowboy with a gun and aHarley) I only wish I had a gun on my belt when I sit in captain's chair LOL

Leo

SouthernBoy wrote:

Yep. If at all possible, try to visit a range where you can rent guns. See if they have one of the ones you're considering and shoot it.

Another thing you can do is find a website dedicated to these two choices and read up about any problems, faults, or other such reporting you might be able to find.

Lastly, many times you can pick up a fine gun at a gun show for less than you are likely to see at a shop. The past February, I bought a new XD40 4" Service Model for $419.99 at a show. That's a heck of a low price for that gun. And new Glocks tend to go for around $485 at shows here - the basic models with no factory options, that is.

Good luck in your search and final decision. BTW, I'm a software engineer, too.

curtm1911

imported post

OC/CC 9MM,

Welcome Aboard, another SGC member here and Hi.

Single Action or DA/SA maybe.......Sig P226 is an intersting platform too Decocker, no manual safety, my only complaint, but nice..

1911 based 9MM maybe.

Browning Hi-Power, another single action pistol, nice feel, nice amount of ammo too and a pleasure to shoot......

Welcome and maybe I'll see you at the club sometime

Japle

imported post

Another vote for the Glock 19. I carry one every day and compete with it in IDPA and Steel Challenge matches.

I doubt there's a more reliable 9mm in the world.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

I am a proud owner of a Ruger SR9 today. Just got back from the dealer... Can't wait to do some test drive this weekend.

I thank you for your comments and suggestions during my decision making. Ruger did look like the best gun in the price range I can afford.

I'll be posting my OC/CC(when I get my license) experiences to share them with you :)

Leo :dude:

MrCraigCraig

imported post

OC/CC 9mm wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

I suggest considering the H&K USP Compact pistol chambered for 9mm.