• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Returned to Ky from the horrible clutches of Fl! Weehoo!!!

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Howdy, I just moved back to Ky after being away for about 12 years.
I lived in Florida most of that time and....it's a weird state.
Especially in the panhandle. It's called the redneck riviera for a reason.

I ended up here after a bunch of random "googling" on the OC issue.
The reason is that I want to be able to carry my pistol in the hip holster when I walk the dog on Friday and Saturday nights, kind of late.

So anyone have any opinions about what my chances are of getting into a "disagreement" with a Law Enforcement Officer if I have a .40 s&w on my hip walking an english pointer bird dog about and around the area of Queensway and Peachtree drives, right off commonwealth ave in the Boone county portion of Erlanger???

There are just some characters who are generally running around during those periods of time who give me pause and having them follow me a couple of blocks for no reason before dipping into the woods behind me irritates the hell out of me and does cause me a little stress. I'd rather them get an eye full from a distance and then stay at that distance.

I'm getting old, and I sit in an office all day so I am as round as a doughnut. But, I've spent enough years working FOR the government and other federal security required companies that I have no fear of having my name run through a computer if I get stopped by Law Enforcement.
I play by the rules and have for a very long time.

Here is the other issue. Since moving back we are looking for a house, but for the time being we are living in some apartment complex near the airport. We chose it because it's almost big enough for our stuff and they allow 60lb dogs, and it's close to my new job at the airport.
It also has some residents with whom I don't see eye to eye about child rearing and, standards of any kind really for keeping up your junk and not selling pot out your front door at all hours of the day and so on.

Cause honestly, unless you are selling fast food, or Pot there is no legitimate reason 15 cars a day pull up to your front door, stay for 15-20 minutes, and then haul ass out of there.

It's getting to the point that their kids are starting to throw mud and grass and other crap on top of my car and I'm sure the parents know, cause they are out their in the plastic chairs sitting the parking lot getting drunk from the time the sun comes up till well after it goes down.

What are the chances a bunch of shifty pot heads are going to call the cops to come hassle me?
And what are the chances these same shifty pot heads are going to see my OC as an indication that my apartment would be a great one to rob because they know there may be some handguns in there?

All opinions welcomed.
Spelling and grammar errors exist only after spellchecker lets them through.
Thanks.

Hah! Already had to make one edit. Boone county was Boone country. Damn you speelchecker! (speelchecker was on purpose I don't wanna get flamed at! :p)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Butterbone wrote:
SNIP What are the chances a bunch of shifty pot heads are going to call the cops to come hassle me?
And what are the chances these same shifty pot heads are going to see my OC as an indication that my apartment would be a great one to rob because they know there may be some handguns in there?

Welcome to OCDO!!!

Lie low. Find a house (or another apartment). Move out.

If there is a general low ethic in the neighborhood, you will make yourself a target. They will whine and complain to each other that you are uppity, troublesome, look down on them, or something. Basically, they will agree with each other.

The other option is to make friends with the low ethic types (except the drug dealer). Polite, friendly, etc.while being very careful not to seem to look down on them or think less of them. While still looking for another place.

Don't OC or mention guns around your apartment complex.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Thanks!
Uhm..I already blew part of that.

I was cleaning the guns on saturday, and I was doing it at the dining room table cause that's the biggest space.
It's also right next to the patio where the best light is. It's also where I paint, and where I draw, cause it gets the most direct sunlight. Saturday was nice and sunny.

About halfway through brushing, one of the groups of meandering teenagers rolled by and obviously saw what I was doing.
Within a few minutes two guys from down the row, also walked back and forth a couple times.

So...they know I have them. It wasn't a show or anything. Cause the kids still patrol back and forth when I paint, cause I am sure it's interesting to them.
But never the grown ups.

I really didn't have any choice. I'd put at lest 400 rounds through the .40 without having cleaned it. And 200 or so through the 9mm without cleaning it. You could see powder build up when you pulled the slide back, and the larger plate side of the barrel housing was exposed, it was just kind of grey lol.

But I'll take your other points into consideration.

I've made strides toward the oldest teenager we have the most problems with, by asking him to help me wind up cable.
"Hey I need somebody strong real quick to help me wind this cable". He was more than happy to stand there and try to hold up 40 ft of industrial extension cord.
Kind of funny, only took about 8 loops for him to start straining. He seemed a little easier the next couple times I have seen him.

I was gonna test my RC planes in the parking lot when it gets a little warmer and a little less windy. Just do battery test drive arounds. There was a whole gaggle of em when we moved in and I started unloading the planes.

Thanks for the input.

bedfordnky

imported post

Welcome back to Ky brother. I just started open carrying a few months ago and havent had any issues with an LEO. I also carry when jogging. I also work 12 hours shifts at nightand jog 4 miles typically mall road, 18, 42, and ewing while open carrying my 9mm. Mind you ewing is the street where thepolice station is. Every once in a while I take my pit bull running as well. I never get stopped orquestioned.My dad lives right by common wealth behind lions park and I never have an issue jogging over there latenight. Have fun and be safe.

hotrod

imported post

Nobody in Northern Ky will bother you open carrying. I have been doing it here for years, not even a peep. Law enforcement is well aware of the law.

chris in va

imported post

I have the same issue with some teens in my neighborhood. Parents don't care, the kids are allowed to run rampant at will. The cops have been called on them several times (not by me) for running through yards and messing with property. One kid brags he has a felony (unlikely) and wants to get in the Marines. Yeah right.

I OC in front of my house all the time. At first they were all questions and curious, now they just come over all the time...not really a good thing.

If the kids are throwing stuff on your car, get a camcorder and record their actions. Let the 'parents' know if it happens again, further action will be taken.