• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters.

OfficerMatt

imported post

Hey everyone, since i have my new XDm .40 i have been carrying like everywhere i go now. I have a LOT of positive comments about it too which is nice to hear. One problem, with the holster that came with the weapon, when i wear it, the little metal things on my pants near my hip rub on the gun and mark it up. Most of the time i can get them off but its getting to be a real pain in the ass.

So what i want to know is one how to remove said marks and also what kind of holster would you suggest (im asking cuz i assume someone else has the perfect XDm lol) i would love to get a drop-leg holster or a shoulder holster but if i have to ill stick with a belt holster.

Thanks everyone and i am definately looking forward to the 25th!

-Matt

Francis Marion

imported post

fullauto223cal wrote:
The last holster you will ever need.... Blackhawk Serpa! Natural draw and secure retention. Anything else is not enough.
+1

I picked up a Serpa the same day I brought my XD45 Compact home. My XD Gear is still in the case where it belongs.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher

bmeldrum

imported post

So I am curious to know any other suggestions for holsters other than the black hawk serpa? I prefer the soft (like the one in the picture). I don't really like the plastic or leather. I have been carrying on the outside on my belt/hip but I'm thinking I want to go inside the waist band (more concealed)hence the soft/padded but the current one seems big/bulky so I want something smaller... any ideas

mqondo

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
So I am curious to know any other suggestions for holsters other than the black hawk serpa? I prefer the soft (like the one in the picture). I don't really like the plastic or leather. I have been carrying on the outside on my belt/hip but I'm thinking I want to go inside the waist band (more concealed)hence the soft/padded but the current one seems big/bulky so I want something smaller... any ideas
You said you don't like plastic holsters. For OWB, there is no beating a Blackhawk Serpa. It is hands down the best holster out there, IMO. IWB holsers, I prefer the Crossbreed Supertuck. It does have plastic, which you mentioned you don't like, but it is the best holster I have found for IWB. It has leather that sits next to the body and is extremely comfortable. That's for CC though. I don't have an IWB that I would use for OC. When I OC it is with the Blackhawk Serpa.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

b1ack5mith

imported post

just got a new holster today... tested it on a glock and a hi-point, and it works great with both. uncle mikes size 16, it has the thumb think that you click the strap off with (button comes undone when you flick it open with your thumb) and fits both guns perfectly. the strap can be adjusted to fit any size gun. i havent tried the XD, but if this holster will fit the glock and the hipoint, im sure itll fit the XD.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I would never go back to any other holster then a serpa. I use it for work and OC 7 days a week. I would never trust any other holster to OC then SERPA.

Try it you'll buy it

.45acp

imported post

Hi Officer Matt,

I know said that you did not care for leather, but have you ever used a custom leather rig. I carry a Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks and have never been diappointed with the concealment or comfort. Of course neither of them are retention holsters per say.

Personally I would stay far away from the Uncle Mike's or any light nylon holster. They flop around on the hip and do not hold the pistol firmly in position in my experiance.

Are you carrying CC or OC?

Steve

b1ack5mith

imported post

i love police style leather with the snap strap retention thumb release the best... have yet to own one though. sgt. jensen uses a galco, and that thing looks GOOD ;)

he and i both use serpas though, love them alot (never let your dog play with it)

OfficerMatt

imported post

Always carry OC, and i would not mind the type of material just as long as its not going to ruin my weapon and i would prefer to have it have a thumb break or a lock similar to the SERPA, as it makes me nervous standing in line at a store with someone really close behind me.

mqondo

imported post

OfficerMatt wrote:
Always carry OC, and i would not mind the type of material just as long as its not going to ruin my weapon and i would prefer to have it have a thumb break or a lock similar to the SERPA, as it makes me nervous standing in line at a store with someone really close behind me.
The Blackhawk Serpa would be the way to go then. I have one of the Uncle Mikes with a thumb break and can't stand it. As stated by .45acp, it flops around and does not stay where you put it. It is very annoying. I am also not a fan of the thumb break. The Serpa retention system is MUCH better. Of course, for OC a thumb break would be better than no retention at all. The serpa holster is very strong. Made of a carbon fiber composite. Also, my buddy tried to get my gun out of my Serpa from behind the day I brought it over for him to check out. I showed him how the holster worked and even knowing how it worked, he couldn't get it out. There would be plenty of time to swing your elbow around and knock the person out if they ever tried to get it. If you liked to have your gun canted forward, it would be even more difficult for someone behind you to get it. I would imagine that nobody would be that stupid though. Going after someone with a gun = total stupidity, IMO. Of all the stories that I have read about OC, I have never read one that says "someone grabbed at my gun", or something to that affect. But it may happen someday, and the Serpa system is excellent. I am always wary about the people around me when I OC, and am always checking to see what people are doing, and if they are getting too close. I hope you try out the Serpa. I heard a lot about them before I bought one, and once I did, all of the other holsters that I bought sit on a shelf. The only time I use my Crossbreed Supertuck is when I want deeper concealment. I use a Smartcarry as well, but only in the summer when I'm wearing shorts. I use my Serpa OC and CC. It prints a fair amount, but I don't really care. :D

.45acp

imported post

I carry a 1911, in 4" or 5" depending upon my dress code for the day. I looked a Blackhawk and did not see a Serpa for 1911.

Are they discriminating against my 1911. hahaha:shock:

When I open carry,which is frequently, the most confortable has been a Sharkskin Slide or the Rosen. In and thing of a crowd, I keep my right elbow locked on top of the butt.

Edited; I found the 1911 Serpas.

Thanks,

Steve

.45acp

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
They do make one. I bought one for my father in-law's Colt 1911A1. TJ has one as well.

Thanks SGT. For some reason the pistol type scroll did not work when I looked at the Blackhawk site last night.

I may try one for open carry. How does the Serpa treat blued finishes?

Thanks,

Steve

Bushidonate

imported post

.45acp wrote:

Thanks,

Steve
I carry an XD 45 in a Serpa. I love the retention, it rides nicely on my hip. So much so that I often describe it as being like a watch. After the first week or two of wearing it, you forget it is there and feel kinda naked with out it.

Now on to the not so nice side... The Serpa has taken some of the bluing off of my slide in witness marks, where it contacts the slide. To me this is not an issue because anything you carry will get witness marks from being carried. And when they get bad enough I can have the slide re blued. It would be different if I had bought the gun as a collectible. But I bought it as a carry piece, and knew there would be some loss of bluing.

If I had bought it, or any gun, as a collectible I would leave it in the show case or gun vault at home. This may sound like sacrilege to some of the readers. But when I see a gun that has a few witness marks from use and carry, I respect its owner a little more. This is due to the hours of practice and carry that are required to acquire those witness marks. Just my 2 cents.

.45acp

imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
.45acp wrote:

Thanks,

Steve
I carry an XD 45 in a Serpa. I love the retention, it rides nicely on my hip. So much so that I often describe it as being like a watch. After the first week or two of wearing it, you forget it is there and feel kinda naked with out it.

Now on to the not so nice side... The Serpa has taken some of the bluing off of my slide in witness marks, where it contacts the slide. To me this is not an issue because anything you carry will get witness marks from being carried. And when they get bad enough I can have the slide re blued. It would be different if I had bought the gun as a collectible. But I bought it as a carry piece, and knew there would be some loss of bluing.

If I had bought it, or any gun, as a collectible I would leave it in the show case or gun vault at home. This may sound like sacrilege to some of the readers. But when I see a gun that has a few witness marks from use and carry, I respect its owner a little more. This is due to the hours of practice and carry that are required to acquire those witness marks. Just my 2 cents.
I assume you are kidding; I have carried an older Colt for 20 years that is still in relatively good shape finish wise. If all it takes to get your respect is to carry a beat up piece, I believe I'll pass.

Firearms are a tool, but that does not mean all tools are hammers.

Steve

Bushidonate

imported post

.45acp wrote:
Bushidonate wrote:
.45acp wrote:

Thanks,

Steve

I assume you are kidding; I have carried an older Colt for 20 years that is still in relatively good shape finish wise. If all it takes to get your respect is to carry a beat up piece, I believe I'll pass.

Firearms are a tool, but that does not mean all tools are hammers.

Steve
:what:Now, where did I say "slap a beat up piece on and I'll respect u?" There is a world of difference from "beat up piece," and "a few witness marks from use and carry." If the gun looks "beat up" then it is probably from neglect, misuse and or abuse. Then no I actually loose respect for the person that has done that to his firearm.

But now if it has the signs of use that come from hundreds, and in some cases thousands of rounds being put through it. That shows me that the owner cares enough to practice, and stay proficient in his or her shooting skills. Any gun that has had even enough rounds through it to get past the "break in" will have witness marks. (Little marks where one part rubs against another.) They may be only where the slide and frame touch, or where the barrel touches they slide, maybe even from the safety being clicked on and off in practice draws. But they will be there. Friction does not go away, even with gun oil. A used gun will show signs of use. So relatively speaking... Have you carried your Colt every day for 20 years? And a leather or nylon holster is going to be kinder to the finish then a plastic like my serpa. But even with leather or nylon you are going to get witness marks from the points where the gun rubs against the holster, or a shirt, or jacket.

So in closing, If the gun has a spot where the slide has been actuated enough to leave some signs of practice, or the bluing has been rubbed in a way that shows the owners practice in drawing and re holstering, I respect that... but if the mag well looks like it was used to re roof a house, or the bluing looks like it was just thrown in the bed of a truck and bounced around. (I've seen this one.) Then no I don't respect the owner.

Practice makes perfect... Those who practice will have the "look" of it.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

.45acp wrote:
How does the Serpa treat blued finishes?

The SERPA started to wear the slide of my GLOCK, so I puttwo strips of moleskin on the inside of the holster, and it has not worn since.

moleskin.jpg

...photo courtesy of thoughtpolice