• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's time to stand up to the NRA and amend the Second Amendment.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.standard.net/live/news/170214

It's time to stand up to the NRA and amend the Second Amendment

By ROBERT C. WADMAN
Guest commentary

When it comes to guns, America is "pacing forward in the hell of make believe." The thought that you will protect yourself from an intruder with a gun is nothing more than a gun industry scare tactic and is not supported by research.

The data is enlightening and sheds a clear light on reality. The death toll of Americans lost in the Iraq war is currently at 4,272. The death toll of Americans lost in the World Trade Center 9/11 terrorists attacks is 2,974.

The death toll of Americans lost in the war in Afghanistan is currently at 677.

The combined death toll for these three national events in which Americans have been violently killed is 7,923.

As you contemplate these tragic numbers and reflect on the individual loss suffered by each death on that person's family, I want to outline the death toll and fantasy created by our unrealistic commitment to the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

In 2005, the most current year of firm data, the death toll of Americans to guns in the United States was 43,667.

This is an increasing number. In 1996, the death toll to guns in America was 34,000 people.

It is significant to point out that the death tolls listed above for the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan covers the four years we have been at war.

Each year in America, over 40,000 men, women, and children are killed with guns. Each year, the number of Americans killed with guns is equal to the total of the combined student bodies of the University of Utah and Weber State University.

This monumental and tragic loss of life receives little notoriety. The daily murders, suicides and accidental deaths committed with guns seem to be just an accepted part of American life. As we silently and respectfully listen to the names read off of those killed in war, we seem to blithely accept the death of literally tens of thousands of Americans killed with guns in America.

We shrug our collective shoulders and do nothing. Did the NRA win this war? Has political intimidation forced America's lawmakers to hunker down and accept these deaths?

I simply ask "If over 150 fully loaded 757 airliners crashed each year, killing everyone on board, would you accept it as just part of American life?"

Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and George Walker Bush, these are the people I voted for. But on this issue -- America in general and my political party in particular, has lost its way. Can we stop this internal carnage? The U.S. Constitution should be amended. The word amend means,"to make better." Can we make our U.S. Constitution better?

Stop the nonsense over interpreting the Second Amendment and simply change it. The U.S. Constitution has been changed over 25 times. From the Emancipation Proclamation to term limits for the office of President, our U. S. Constitution has been made better.
Remember, less than 90 years ago women were granted the right to vote.

These changes to the U.S. Constitution have made it better. Should the hobby of a few and tyranny of the NRA prevent us from taking action to slow the death rate from guns in America? Don't let the gun industry's bombastic bumper sticker slogans block clear thinking.

Think of the loss of freedom and the loss of happiness to over 40,000 dead Americans and their families, each year, when you hear the cry from those whose hobby and income is supported by the arcane rhetoric that swirls around the Second Amendment.

Stop pacing forward in the hell of make believe and support change for a better America.

Wadman is a professor in the Criminal Justice Department at Weber State University.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Here is the email I sent Mr. Wadman regarding the incorrect data in his story.

Mr. Wadman,

I am writing in regards to your article in the Standard Examiner about the Second Amendment. I am a resident of Utah, who is currently deployed to Iraq. While I personally feel that your bias on the issue is disgusting at best, I will continue to support your right to free speech. Now, to the real issue at hand.

In your story, you claim that over 40,000 people die every year in America due to firearms. At first I was curious if you meant North America, because the number sounded greatly exaggerated. So I decided to go to cdc.gov and take a look for myself.

I could not find a single year where more than 40,000 people died in firearm related instances. So I looked at the year 2005, to find out where you got the number 43,667, the number of people that you claim to have died by firearm in 2005. Guess what I found?

There was one instance where exactly 43,667 people died, and it was not due to firearms, it was automobiles accidents. Oddly enough, this is a good 12,000 more deaths that firearm related deaths, but who cares, right? Cars don't kill people, guns do...

If you are going to submit filth to have printed in a liberal paper, please have your facts straight before you spew your hate. I understand that some people feel that banning firearms will magically solve the worlds problems, because "the good guys" like yourself and your law enforcement buddies will be the only people who have guns.

Your "monumental loss of life" only accounted for 1.5% of all deaths in 2005. Heart disease contributed to 26% of all deaths in 2005. Maybe you should have your sights set on McDonalds, instead of the NRA and lawful gun owners. Please have the Standard Examiner amend your article "to make it better".

Regards,

Sergeant Kevin Jensen

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mr. Wadman wants us to amend the second amendment "for the better". I couldn't agree more!

Any suggestion here on a good amendment to make the second amendment better?

Here is mine.

2.2 Definitions

As used in this part.

"Well Regulated" means fully equipped, without limitation.

"Militia" means the people of the United States, whether or not affiliated with an organized or unorganized militia.

"Keep" means to possess.

"Bear" means to carry, whether openly or concealed.

"Arms" means weapons of any design.

"shall not be infringed" does this really need a definition?

buncopanies

Banned
imported post

did the persons choose to purchase guns or be around them? Why take their choices from the responsible ones?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Here is Mr. Wadman's reply:

Dear Mr. Jensen:
I stand by my research on the number of deaths.The number are from the CDC. I think this loss of life should not be ignored. To do nothing doesn't seem reasonable. If my stating the number deaths caused by guns creates a problem for you, think about the families that are suffering from these losses. If there was a disease that caused the loss of 40,000 people each year, should we ignore it? We need to improve our society - not hide from the problem.

Dr. Robert C. Wadman
...to which I replied.

Mr. Wadman,

I agree that to do nothing is unreasonable. This is why I help the legislature pass bill like SB 78 and HB 357.

You can stand by your research all you want, but the fact remains, your numbers are incorrect.

Attached is a screen shot of the page where it states that 30,694 people were killed by firearms.

Above that is your number, 43,667. The number of people killed in motor vehicle related accidents.

Unrelated, but the number of deaths by poison on this page is higher than that of gun related deaths also.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf

Regards,

Sergeant Kevin Jensen

Francis Marion

imported post

Some of this already exists; at least in Utah.

From the Utah Constitution:
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font][/align]
ARTICLE XV

MILITIA

Section 1. [How constituted.] The militia shall consist of all able-bodied male inhabitants of the State, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, except such as are exempted by law.

Sec. 2. [Organization and equipment.] The Legislature shall provide by law for the organization, equipment and discipline of the militia, which shall conform as nearly as practicable to the regulations for the government of the armies of the United States.
Where does the line form to pick up my state purchased M240?