• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing through a "no minors allowed by the LCB" zone.

knight_308

imported post

Hypothetically, let's say the wife wanted to go to The Cheesecake Factory in Bellevue and hypothetically you're there with your four year old, and HYPOTHETICALLY you happened to be carrying concealed. Then let's say that hypothetically you asked to sit outside and your hypothetical server decided to hypothetically guide you (and your hypothetical gun and minor child) through the (posted) bar. Let's also say that there are lots of other people with kids in the outside area and that it appears that the only way into that area is _through_ the bar. Later on it is discovered (hypothetically, of course) that there's a gate on the outside that could have been used to access the seating area.

Now, after all of that, would someone in that circumstace be in trouble if their sidearm were discovered? If you're forced to pass through a posted area, but you don't stop, are you just as guilty as if you bellied up to the bar?

Man, this was easier in PA where you could carry into the bar!

heresolong

imported post

Hypothetically if they guided you and your four year old son through the bar, then the hypothetical path on which you walked is not restricted to 21 and over.

OT: Imagine a world with no hypotheticals.

knight_308

imported post

lol, sorry, I started typing hypothetical and just couldn't stop :)

I dunno, it was clearly posted with what I think was the appropriate signage. Just because the server wasn't aware of it or they willfully ignore it wouldn't give me a free pass. At least I don't think it would.

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Hypothetically if they guided you and your four year old son through the bar, then the hypothetical path on which you walked is not restricted to 21 and over.

There is an exception in the law to allow a person under 21 to pass through to a non-restricted portion of the establishment. This exception does not carry over to firearms.

knight_308

imported post

joeroket wrote:
heresolong wrote:

There is an exception in the law to allow a person under 21 to pass through to a non-restricted portion of the establishment. This exception does not carry over to firearms.
And _that_ is what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Machoduck

imported post

The simple way around this hypothetical problem would be to tell the hostess that you aren't allowed by the RCWs to be in the bar area. If she doesn't listen or gives you no opportunity to tell her, and she marches into the bar area, either call her back, or if she's too far ahead, just wait until she returns. You're the customer. It's her job to make your meal enjoyable, not tell you where you have to walk.

MD

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
heresolong wrote:

Citation? I don't see this in RCW 9.41 anywhere. General rule of the forum, if you are going to cite a law, you need to tell us where it is found, otherwise it is just hearsay.

EDIT: I did just notice that there is an exception for employees in the "21 and over" rule, so if you work at a bar your boss can let you carry a pistol. Nice.

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
heresolong wrote:

Citation? I don't see this in RCW 9.41 anywhere. General rule of the forum, if you are going to cite a law, you need to tell us where it is found, otherwise it is just hearsay.

EDIT: I did just notice that there is an exception for employees in the "21 and over" rule, so if you work at a bar your boss can let you carry a pistol. Nice.
It's been discussed on here before. The exception is not in 9.41 because it is not a firearm law.

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
It's been discussed on here before. The exception is not in 9.41 because it is not a firearm law.
OK. So help us out and tell us where it is. I have been on this board for about a year and a half and have never seen this discussion.

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
OK. So help us out and tell us where it is. I have been on this board for about a year and a half and have never seen this discussion.
+1, cite please, joerocket.

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
You know after looking again at it I may be mistaken about the scope of the exception. It seems that it only applies to a private licensed establishment.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=66.44.310

Section 1(b)

For any person under the age of twenty-one years to enter or remain in any area classified as off-limits to such a person, but persons under twenty-one years of age may pass through a restricted area in a facility holding a spirits, beer, and wine private club license;

Mainsail

imported post

I've open carried in Cheesecake Factory, and like most such places I just tell them I cannot go into the bar area. I doubt anyone was hurt or insulted.

Mainsail

imported post

bugly wrote:
I would just refuse patronage. Screw 'em....

Uh…what? They tried to walk him through the bar area while he was carrying concealed. How were they supposed to know? So your position is “screw ‘em” if they don’t have x-ray vision?

bugly

imported post

not quite, this was to say, if they had somehow notice he was carrying and made an issue of it, after all, they did bring a minor into that area, clearly violating the posting, but if they had mentioned his carrying, it somehow becomes his fault? Bad layout of the floorplan, IMHO. I personally don't go anywhere that is posted "no firearms", unless I am called in to testify on something and have to go to a courthouse. If everybody did this, perhaps the shop owners would start re-thinking their banning of legitamate customers from entering.

kenshin

imported post

bugly wrote:
not quite, this was to say, if they had somehow notice he was carrying and made an issue of it, after all, they did bring a minor into that area, clearly violating the posting, but if they had mentioned his carrying, it somehow becomes his fault? Bad layout of the floorplan, IMHO. I personally don't go anywhere that is posted "no firearms", unless I am called in to testify on something and have to go to a courthouse. If everybody did this, perhaps the shop owners would start re-thinking their banning of legitamate customers from entering.
It wasn't posted as "No Firearms", it was posted as "No Minors" by the LCB which in Washington it is illegal to carry into "No Minor" zones. It's not the establishment's decision.