• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evil Black Rifle Sales require TWO inspections?

ufcfanvt

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2:2
Apparently, purchase of the Evil Black Rifles require further inspection.
Is this actually done?
What does the VA State Police actually do w/ this?
Maybe I'm misreading this and it's for ALL gun sales, but IANAL...

Look at:
4. On the last day of the week following the sale or transfer of any firearm, the dealer shall mail or deliver the written consent form required by subsection A to the Department of State Police. The State Police shall immediately initiate a search of all available criminal history record information to determine if the purchaser is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm under state or federal law. If the search discloses information indicating that the buyer or transferee is so prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm, the State Police shall inform the chief law-enforcement officer in the jurisdiction where the sale or transfer occurred and the dealer without delay.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting question. I got the impression from reading section 3 that an FFL could transfer a firearm without a VSP background check if the VSP informs the dealer that VSP could not complete the check by the end of the dealers next business day.

Thus, if dealer complied with the identification requirements in subsection 1 and the VSP notified the dealer they could not meet the next business day requirement, then the VSP may not have performed a background check and the end of week requirement would actually be the first VSP background check.

Using that chain of possibilities I can envision section 4 as a final backstop to ensure the VSP have the opportunity to perform a check after the transfer and the notification of the local law enforcement as the enforcement tool.

That's all I could come up with that made sense on a Monday at 10:00 PM.... :cool:

hsmith

imported post

probably has to do with the guy shooting up around the CIA a few years ago and why you have to be a US Citizen to buy an "assault rifle"

Chaingun81

imported post

hsmith wrote:
probably has to do with the guy shooting up around the CIA a few years ago and why you have to be a US Citizen to buy an "assault rifle"

You don't. It's a common mistake, but the truth is that you don't.You can be a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) and a foreign national and legally buy an "assault weapon". In fact the list of documents you need to purchase an "assault weapon" for a green card holder is the same as for any other gun (DL, Green card, 2nd form of ID, 90 days worth of bank statements or bills with the same address and the DL). For US Citizen the list is different - you need to show a proof of citizenship to purchase an "assaul weapon".

Legally, it's the same - you need to show "proof of citizenship OR legal permanent residence" to buy an "assault weapon", the only difference that for green card holders it applies to all gun purchases and buying an "assault weapon" isn't any different than buying a 22LR bolt action plinker...

mercutio545

imported post

When I got my AK and AR transferred to me from Dominion, they required one more proof of residency than I needed when I got my pistol. I think all I gave them for the pistol was my voters card and license, but for the "evil rifles", I gave them the voters card, CHP, and license. Might just be an extralegal thing that's specific to them, who knows.