• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New: some questions about OC and picking up my gun

nyx

imported post

I'm picking up my revolver this week and have some questions. This is new for me because it's my first handgun purchase and I haven't bought a gun in over 10 years and live in the city now. I've only owned rifles and we always lived in the boonies and shot on our land or went hunting on nearby private property or public lands so I'm unfamiliar with taking firearms to an indoor shooting range or OC in businesses ect.

I haven't bought any type of holster yet and I'm not sure what I want, so I don't have any way to just wear the gun. So am I then legally required to just carry it in my hands when I have it with me from the car to the range and store when I shop for a holster? I guess it just feels weird to me to do that. My natural inclination with a handgun is to put in my purse but I don't have a conceal permit so I can't do that.

I'm in Clark County.

oh, one more thing. My car doesn't have a trunk does that mean I'm required to have a locking case?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No locking case needed. Carry it from the store in the box or bag they give to you. Throw it in your passenger seat and drive home. When you get home, pick it up and carry it in.

When you pick up the weapon, just buy the cheapest holster that fits it. Or buy one online from some place like Midway.

What kind of revolver did you buy?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum nyx.

When I have a handgun but no holster, the way I would bring it out of a store is by slipping it between the belt and the pants so that it is clearly visible and not in your hands. This is how I carried some guns on the way to holster shopping too.

I would avoid having it in your hands, but if you must have it in your hands I would carry it not by the handle.

I wouldn't conceal a gun in any type of bag or box while it is in your hands, even if it is unloaded, unless it is discernible to ordinary observation that there is a gun inside. A gun concealed in a briefcase which is in your hands is considered a concealed weapon. ( http://www.gmj.com/GMJ_AG_93-14.php ) Carrying a concealed firearm in Nevada is a class C felony.

You will need a concealed carry permit to conceal the firearm on your person or in a container carried by you.

In your car the gun can be anywhere except concealed on a person. For instance, it could be openly carried or hidden anywhere in your vehicle, map compartments, glove boxes, or just placed upon a seat or anywhere else. Just not in anyone's pockets or other concealed locations on a person.

There is no requirement for a locked case in a vehicle. Your gun can be unlocked and fully loaded.

As for the holster, try a few and see which one is comfortable.

State law is supposed to prohibit localities from passing local regulations other than for the discharge of firearms, but currently the attorney general is saying that the state law has no effect. Hopefully soon this situation will be resolved. Personally I believe that local laws are still void, but there is a north las vegas municipal code which if it were valid may put limitations on firearms in vehicles.

nyx

imported post

Well the reason I got confused was because the open carry pamphlet posted here included

Vehicles: [/b]
In a vehicle, a weapon may be concealed anywhere within the vehicle, or it can be out in the open within the vehicle. The only place it cannot be when in a vehicle is concealed upon a person, such as under a jacket or in a pocket, unless that person has a concealed carry permit.

According to NRS 503.165 one may not have in a vehicle any rifle or a shotgun with the chamber loaded. Rifles and shotguns may contain a fully loaded magazine however. Handguns are fine fully loaded including with a loaded chamber.

and

Federal Law:[/b]

Per Title 18 U.S.C. Section 926 transportation of unloaded firearms and ammunition in a vehicle is legal anywhere when traveling between two legal areas if neither is readily accessible from the passenger compartment. If the vehicle has no compartment other than the driver’s compartment the firearms and ammunition must be in a locked case other than the glove box or console.

:?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The federal law is not a limitation, it actually does the opposite. It allows one to transport a firearm in their vehicle in a location where it is not allowed so long as the firearm is legal where they are coming from and going to and it is transported unloaded in a locked container. But in places where one may already lawfully transport a firearm in other ways it serves as no limitation.

Perhaps the pamphlet could be worded more clearly so that it is clear that the Federal law is not a limitation on the ability to transport firearms. It is a limitation on the ability of local governments to restrict the transportation of firearms.

FogRider

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
The federal law is not a limitation, it actually does the opposite. It allows one to transport a firearm in their vehicle in a location where it is not allowed so long as the firearm is legal where they are coming from and going to and it is transported unloaded in a locked container. But in places where one may already lawfully transport a firearm in other ways it serves as no limitation.

Perhaps the pamphlet could be worded more clearly so that it is clear that the Federal law is not a limitation on the ability to transport firearms. It is a limitation on the ability of local governments to restrict the transportation of firearms.
From where are you picking it up? If they sell holsters as well (and it seems likely to me that they would) you might as well try on a few while you are there.

nyx

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:

Oh ok, thanks, that is more clear.