Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations, Hawaii

Post imported post

You're in the 9th circuit. You can now start challenging your messed-up gun laws in Federal court, instead of in anti-gun Hawaii state courts.

Post imported post

Yippeee...:celebrate. Now, where do we go from here? I slept thru civics class and I'm have to play catch-up.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Post imported post

If I'm not mistaken, this can be added to the list of ammunition for us to use here.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...20/0715763.pdf

"My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

Post imported post

That's right. Hawaii is in the 9th circuit.

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama

Post imported post

HawaiiQuestions wrote:
    I have not heard any of this. What is going on in your state?

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    HawaiiQuestions wrote:
    I have not heard any of this. What is going on in your state?
    Currently 2 things. 1)...waiting patiently for the SCOTUS ruling on McDonald. And 2)... We have a new concealed carry bill (one thatactually has some common sense) currently being reviewed, waiting to submit testimony on.

Post imported post

OK. What are your CC laws now? Do you have OC?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

They don't have nothin' in HI!

No CC (becausepermits are never issued) and no OC because it's illegal. You can only have your guns -- which MUST be registered with the police (MORE government intrusion) -- at home (not sure about in your car). So whenever you leave your house in HI, you are a victim waiting to happen as you can only HOPE something bad/criminal doesn't happen since you have no serious way to prevent it.

Presently,HI isone of the most repressive states in the Union.

Idon't know how HI's violation of the US Constitution and its own State Constitution all these decades has not been challenged and corrected.

My GUESS is it's due to HI's high (and apparently) anti-gun Asian population who have not come from (or grew up in) a pro-gun environment as many mainlanders have...so Asian polticians/votershaven't supported pro-gun changes or initiatives in the last 51 years.

What a long run for the anti-gun status quo, but hopefully -- and although LONG overdue -- things WILL be changing.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    OK. What are your CC laws now? Do you have OC?
    Carry of any kind is illegal unless you have a permit. And Hawaii is a "may issue" state. Or as we like to say here, "may-not issue".

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur..._0134-0009.htm

Only one permit was ever issued for personal reasons in 2006, from the Maui Chief. ALL OTHER permits are issued for work related reasons....security, armored car personnel, etc.

From 2006....

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....c-1ec44f3d267c

"In the last 15 years, no law abiding citizen applying for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Honolulu has been granted one -- not one domestic violence victim, not one person whose life was in danger, not one person working where they may be robbed at gunpoint. And the police chief has no plans to change that under Hawaii’s current law, which says the police department’s highest officer "may issue" a concealed carry permit should he choose to do so.

That’s according to Honolulu Police Department Captain Raymond Ancheta, who testified at the Senate Intergovernmental Affairs Committee hearing Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006, in opposition to SB 2531, which changes Hawaii’s law to read "shall issue" and become the nation’s 39th state to allow concealed carry of a firearm.
    The bill and two others that would further the Second Amendment rights of Hawaii citizens, including retired police officers and law abiding citizens in the aftermath of a disaster, were opposed by the Honolulu police, the Honolulu City Prosecutor and the state attorney general.
    Spokespeople for these government agencies said they did not trust the people to aim correctly under a stressful situation where they might use a firearm to protect themselves, potentially endangering others nearby. Lori Nishimura of the City Prosecutors office, said she had a "feeling" and she "believed" that allowing citizens to protect themselves with firearms would not be good for the rest of Hawaii’s citizens, though she could not cite any studies or evidence under questioning to support her statements. "

Hawaii is one of only SIX STATES that REQUIRE registration. Hell, even getting a gun in Hawaii is crazy....

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur..._0134-0002.htm

This is what Hawaii has had to battle, and lost,for a long time.

Post imported post

but it's not for those people to decide. It's what the majority of the state want and if the federal law will 'allow' it. What exactly is being done at this moment and is there anything I can do from here? I am more than willing to do something to help. Let me know.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I wonder if the HPD is like many other states when it comes to these issues: The police chiefs (actually, more poiticians than cops by that rank) are almost always self-serving anti-gun liberals and the rank& file cops are more pro-gun re: citizen carry. I mean, when it says "HPD" does that mean all/most of them or just the top cops?Doesn't make any distinction.

Whatever, the HPDPolice Chiefand others like Lori Nishimura will have to be FORCED to do the right (and constitutional) thing.

-- John D.

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    but it's not for those people to decide. It's what the majority of the state want and if the federal law will 'allow' it. What exactly is being done at this moment and is there anything I can do from here? I am more than willing to do something to help. Let me know.
    What people?...the politicians? Are you serious? The majority of our "elected" leaders do just what THEY want to do...espically here. To put it bluntly....IT SUCKS HERE, as far as the 2A is concerned. The mentality here about the 2A is just mind-boggling.

If you can think of anything to help, by all means, do it. There is a local 2A forum. Good people, just not alot of them. http://www.2ahawaii.com/

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    I wonder if the HPD is like many other states when it comes to these issues: The police chiefs (actually, more poiticians than cops by that rank) are almost always self-serving anti-gun liberals and the rank& file cops are more pro-gun re: citizen carry. I mean, when it says "HPD" does that mean all/most of them or just the top cops?Doesn't make any distinction.

Whatever, the HPDPolice Chiefand others like Lori Nishimura will have to be FORCED to do the right (and constitutional) thing.

-- John D.
    We can only hope.

Post imported post

The LEOs should watch this video because they should not follow an illegal order such as the laws given in your state. This video is about an organization called Oath Keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgP...os=_rH19lWZRKU

Post imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    The LEOs should watch this video because they should not follow an illegal order such as the laws given in your state. This video is about an organization called Oath Keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgP...os=_rH19lWZRKU
    Agreed, but this is Hawai'i, Brah. The 'law' here does pretty much what it wants to do here. Not bashing on HPD, some of the LEOs I have met here are pretty decent. Some of them I've mentioned Oath Keepers to, they didn't seem to be too interested. I am a member, not too many of us here, either.

The 'Sheriffs' here seem more interested in hanging around the airport, thats the ONLY place I've ever seen them. To be honest, I don't even know who the sheriff of Honolulu County is.

With no State Preemption, the local government does what it wants to do....period.

I personally have put in alot of work and research in trying to help change things here. But, to be honest, I can't wait to get off this island and back to the mainland. I have just run into too many 'locals' who despise the military here. It's racism based on not being from the islands and being in the military, plain and simple.

A lot of great people here, don't get me wrong. As a tourist you would never see it. But living here is a totally different topic.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150,

Did you know any of these candidates, or the guy who won - Captain Louis Kealoha?

http://www.hawaiirifleassociation.or...?f=3&t=263

-- John D.

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    MarlboroLts5150,

Did you know any of these candidates, or the guy who won - Captain Louis Kealoha?

http://www.hawaiirifleassociation.or...?f=3&t=263

-- John D.
    Don't really have a feel on his 2A stance. Haven't heard about anyone applying, or trying to apply for a permit. I think everyone is just waiting on the McDonald ruling.

Post imported post

Glad to see that things are starting to turn around back there. OC'd to Walmart and Texas Roadhouse last night without a problem while I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. Tell ya what though, 45 ammo is not easy to find around Jacksonville NC. Been OC'in since I got here without any problems. Got to say, I'm likin it.

Post imported post

DocWest8404 wrote:
    Glad to see that things are starting to turn around back there. OC'd to Walmart and Texas Roadhouse last night without a problem while I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. Tell ya what though, 45 ammo is not easy to find around Jacksonville NC. Been OC'in since I got here without any problems. Got to say, I'm likin it.
    I hope we can get it turned in the right direction here. It's frustrating, let me tell ya......

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, this can be added to the list of ammunition for us to use here.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. Nordyke is being reheard after the McDonald v. Chicago case at the supreme court.
    On May 18, 2009, an anonymous judge of the Ninth Circuit called for briefing from both sides on whether the case should be reheard en banc. On July 29, 2009, the Ninth Circuit decided to rehear this case en banc, thereby vacating both parts of the April 20 ruling. After rehearing the case on September 24, 2009, the Ninth Circuit decided to delay ruling on the case until the Supreme Court decides McDonald_v._Chicago.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    What people?...the politicians? Are you serious? The majority of our "elected" leaders do just what THEY want to do...espically here. To put it bluntly....IT SUCKS HERE, as far as the 2A is concerned. The mentality here about the 2A is just mind-boggling.

If you can think of anything to help, by all means, do it. There is a local 2A forum. Good people, just not alot of them. http://www.2ahawaii.com/

Does the Hawaii Rifle Association (NRA's Hawaii affiliate) do anything useful? From reading their bylaws and legislative reports, it appears as though they are supportive of the right to carry. But like you said, it's an uphill battle in HI; in fact, maybe it's like climbing, or falling off of, a sheer cliff.

2ahawaii.com has 80 listed members; OCDO has 5 members from Hawaii, though one is actually 2ahawaii. Are you all members of the HRA?

Maybe the ~80+/- of you can pool your resources together and distribute supporting media to the public, fliers, pamphlets, or get some nice 3.5"/2" cards made which contain awareness raising information and hand them out to people you know or who you speak to about RKBA.

Post imported post

ak56 wrote:
    MarlboroLts5150 wrote:

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. Nordyke is being reheard after the McDonald v. Chicago case at the supreme court.
    On May 18, 2009, an anonymous judge of the Ninth Circuit called for briefing from both sides on whether the case should be reheard en banc. On July 29, 2009, the Ninth Circuit decided to rehear this case en banc, thereby vacating both parts of the April 20 ruling. After rehearing the case on September 24, 2009, the Ninth Circuit decided to delay ruling on the case until the Supreme Court decides McDonald_v._Chicago.
    No kidding???......really??? :shock:

Check the dates of the original posts.

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
    MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    Hollowpoint38 wrote:

Does the Hawaii Rifle Association (NRA's Hawaii affiliate) do anything useful? From reading their bylaws and legislative reports, it appears as though they are supportive of the right to carry. But like you said, it's an uphill battle in HI; in fact, maybe it's like climbing, or falling off of, a sheer cliff.

2ahawaii.com has 80 listed members; OCDO has 5 members from Hawaii, though one is actually 2ahawaii. Are you all members of the HRA?

Maybe the ~80+/- of you can pool your resources together and distribute supporting media to the public, fliers, pamphlets, or get some nice 3.5"/2" cards made which contain awareness raising information and hand them out to people you know or who you speak to about RKBA.

They are very supportive. But, as you can see...not a lot of support. Great people, but less than 1% of the people here. And.....as I said....the 'politicians' here do just what they want to do....just the way it is.

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    ak56 wrote:
    MarlboroLts5150 wrote:

No kidding???......really??? :shock:

Check the dates of the original posts.
    Oops, my bad
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts5150 View Post
    virginiatuck wrote:
    They are very supportive. But, as you can see...not a lot of support. Great people, but less than 1% of the people here. And.....as I said....the 'politicians' here do just what they want to do....just the way it is.
    Well we used to think that way in california, but theres a lot of OC-ers now in Cal, and more joining all the time
    as people are being educated in their rights of self-defence. 2A ETC !
    Get a copy of Hi"s laws, and study it to see how they think "they" can strip a Citizens rights.
    And sence McD has now passed, you have a fighting chance.
    Here in California, we UOC Unloaded Open Carry, and its working good so far.
    People are waking up to their rights. Others are being made aware in the process.
    CCW's are almost non-existant here also and hard to get, but its changing.
    law suits seems to be the only way for corrupt government to learn the truth. Its "We The People"
    who are the Masters !
    Good Luck ! Robin47

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast