• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congratulations, Hawaii

HawaiiQuestions

imported post

You're in the 9th circuit. You can now start challenging your messed-up gun laws in Federal court, instead of in anti-gun Hawaii state courts.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
HawaiiQuestions wrote:
That's right. Hawaii is in the 9th circuit.
I have not heard any of this. What is going on in your state?
Currently 2 things. 1)...waiting patiently for the SCOTUS ruling on McDonald. And 2)... We have a new concealed carry bill (one thatactually has some common sense) currently being reviewed, waiting to submit testimony on.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

They don't have nothin' in HI!

No CC (becausepermits are never issued) and no OC because it's illegal. You can only have your guns -- which MUST be registered with the police (MORE government intrusion) -- at home (not sure about in your car). So whenever you leave your house in HI, you are a victim waiting to happen as you can only HOPE something bad/criminal doesn't happen since you have no serious way to prevent it.

Presently,HI isone of the most repressive states in the Union.

Idon't know how HI's violation of the US Constitution and its own State Constitution all these decades has not been challenged and corrected.

My GUESS is it's due to HI's high (and apparently) anti-gun Asian population who have not come from (or grew up in) a pro-gun environment as many mainlanders have...so Asian polticians/votershaven't supported pro-gun changes or initiatives in the last 51 years.

What a long run for the anti-gun status quo, but hopefully -- and although LONG overdue -- things WILL be changing.

-- John D.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
OK. What are your CC laws now? Do you have OC?

Carry of any kind is illegal unless you have a permit. And Hawaii is a "may issue" state. Or as we like to say here, "may-not issue".

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0009.htm

Only one permit was ever issued for personal reasons in 2006, from the Maui Chief. ALL OTHER permits are issued for work related reasons....security, armored car personnel, etc.

From 2006....

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?05eafffd-eff0-4c14-ba7c-1ec44f3d267c

"In the last 15 years, no law abiding citizen applying for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Honolulu has been granted one -- not one domestic violence victim, not one person whose life was in danger, not one person working where they may be robbed at gunpoint. And the police chief has no plans to change that under Hawaii’s current law, which says the police department’s highest officer "may issue" a concealed carry permit should he choose to do so.

That’s according to Honolulu Police Department Captain Raymond Ancheta, who testified at the Senate Intergovernmental Affairs Committee hearing Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006, in opposition to SB 2531, which changes Hawaii’s law to read "shall issue" and become the nation’s 39th state to allow concealed carry of a firearm.
The bill and two others that would further the Second Amendment rights of Hawaii citizens, including retired police officers and law abiding citizens in the aftermath of a disaster, were opposed by the Honolulu police, the Honolulu City Prosecutor and the state attorney general.
Spokespeople for these government agencies said they did not trust the people to aim correctly under a stressful situation where they might use a firearm to protect themselves, potentially endangering others nearby. Lori Nishimura of the City Prosecutors office, said she had a "feeling" and she "believed" that allowing citizens to protect themselves with firearms would not be good for the rest of Hawaii’s citizens, though she could not cite any studies or evidence under questioning to support her statements. "

Hawaii is one of only SIX STATES that REQUIRE registration. Hell, even getting a gun in Hawaii is crazy....

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0002.htm

This is what Hawaii has had to battle, and lost,for a long time.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

but it's not for those people to decide. It's what the majority of the state want and if the federal law will 'allow' it. What exactly is being done at this moment and is there anything I can do from here? I am more than willing to do something to help. Let me know.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I wonder if the HPD is like many other states when it comes to these issues: The police chiefs (actually, more poiticians than cops by that rank) are almost always self-serving anti-gun liberals and the rank& file cops are more pro-gun re: citizen carry. I mean, when it says "HPD" does that mean all/most of them or just the top cops?Doesn't make any distinction.

Whatever, the HPDPolice Chiefand others like Lori Nishimura will have to be FORCED to do the right (and constitutional) thing.

-- John D.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
but it's not for those people to decide. It's what the majority of the state want and if the federal law will 'allow' it. What exactly is being done at this moment and is there anything I can do from here? I am more than willing to do something to help. Let me know.

What people?...the politicians? Are you serious? The majority of our "elected" leaders do just what THEY want to do...espically here. To put it bluntly....IT SUCKS HERE, as far as the 2A is concerned. The mentality here about the 2A is just mind-boggling.

If you can think of anything to help, by all means, do it. There is a local 2A forum. Good people, just not alot of them. http://www.2ahawaii.com/

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I wonder if the HPD is like many other states when it comes to these issues: The police chiefs (actually, more poiticians than cops by that rank) are almost always self-serving anti-gun liberals and the rank& file cops are more pro-gun re: citizen carry. I mean, when it says "HPD" does that mean all/most of them or just the top cops?Doesn't make any distinction.

Whatever, the HPDPolice Chiefand others like Lori Nishimura will have to be FORCED to do the right (and constitutional) thing.

-- John D.
We can only hope.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
The LEOs should watch this video because they should not follow an illegal order such as the laws given in your state. This video is about an organization called Oath Keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgPuNAh60&playnext_from=TL&videos=_rH19lWZRKU

Agreed, but this is Hawai'i, Brah. The 'law' here does pretty much what it wants to do here. Not bashing on HPD, some of the LEOs I have met here are pretty decent. Some of them I've mentioned Oath Keepers to, they didn't seem to be too interested. I am a member, not too many of us here, either.

The 'Sheriffs' here seem more interested in hanging around the airport, thats the ONLY place I've ever seen them. To be honest, I don't even know who the sheriff of Honolulu County is.

With no State Preemption, the local government does what it wants to do....period.

I personally have put in alot of work and research in trying to help change things here. But, to be honest, I can't wait to get off this island and back to the mainland. I have just run into too many 'locals' who despise the military here. It's racism based on not being from the islands and being in the military, plain and simple.

A lot of great people here, don't get me wrong. As a tourist you would never see it. But living here is a totally different topic.

MarlboroLts5150

DocWest8404

imported post

Glad to see that things are starting to turn around back there. OC'd to Walmart and Texas Roadhouse last night without a problem while I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. Tell ya what though, 45 ammo is not easy to find around Jacksonville NC. Been OC'in since I got here without any problems. Got to say, I'm likin it.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

DocWest8404 wrote:
Glad to see that things are starting to turn around back there. OC'd to Walmart and Texas Roadhouse last night without a problem while I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. Tell ya what though, 45 ammo is not easy to find around Jacksonville NC. Been OC'in since I got here without any problems. Got to say, I'm likin it.
I hope we can get it turned in the right direction here. It's frustrating, let me tell ya......:banghead:

Ca Patriot

imported post

I lived in Hawaii for 5 years, about the same time ol'Barry Sotoreo lived there and was going to private high school Punahou at $25,000 as year.

Hawaii police are pretty corrupt. If you are white there are areas of the state where basically you cant be a victim. If you are white and you get punched by some browns then the police will lecture you about their culture and sensitivities and try to teach you how not to get punched in the future.

If you are white and you get something stolen by the browns then you will get a lecture about it was probably taken by a tourist and there is no point in filing a police report.

I would NEVER go back to Oahu but the outer islands are great. Maui even has a really cool outdoor shooting range for skeet, long range rifle and pistol.