• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FFL Transfer/Sales Tax?

PT111

imported post

No. At least all the FFL that I have talked with here in SC have said that. The only thing they are responsible for and charging you for is recording the transfer of the gun. With that said I did hear of one company that actually transferred the gun to the FFL and recorded it as a sale to the FFL.In that case the FFL was selling it to you and had to charge sales tax. In this case the FFL was responsible for collecting the money from you and paying the original seller. If you pay whoever you are buying it from directly, such as Bud's Gun Shop,then no sales taxes are charged.

Please note that in many states you are supposed to report that sale on your state income tax forms and pay the sales taxes on it when you file you state income taxes. ;)

TFred

imported post

I am assuming that since there is an electronic record of a FFL purchase, that eventually, some tax guy somewhere is going to figure out you owe sales tax.

It may not be true, but my assumption will keep me out of trouble.

TFred

hsmith

imported post

When you file taxes each year, you are supposed to file for what you have purchased online, tax free.

Riana

imported post

hsmith wrote:
When you file taxes each year, you are supposed to file for what you have purchased online, tax free.

True. When I first filed taxes here in VA (I was in CA until 2005), that question in Turbo Tax made me laugh.

I'm sure everyone reports those purchases, though. :cool:

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Riana wrote:
hsmith wrote:
When you file taxes each year, you are supposed to file for what you have puuchased online, tax free.

True. When I first filed taxes here in VA (I was in CA until 2005), that question in Turbo Tax made me laugh.

I'm sure everyone reports those purchases, though. :cool:
Because of this there is now a big push to make sellers collect the tax even if they have no nexus in the state.

LEO 229

imported post

Highlander19 wrote:
If I purchase a firearm out of state, is the FFL holder supposed to collect VA sales tax when I pick it up?
No.

When you file your state taxes there is an area why you identify how much you bought out-of-state and you can pay the tax then directly to the state.