• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another newbie with questions

Metalhead47

imported post

Hey all. I've been lurking this forum for a while now & gleaned tons of useful info, finally decided to post. I'm another one of those life-long 2A-rights supporters finally scared into actually buying some guns & getting involved by the current unfortunate political situation (Just got my NRA card today actually). I havn't actually OC'd yet, mostly due to lack of opportunity & proper equipment, but it's becoming more and more attractive to me if only for comfort (I'm a big guy, IWB holsters simply don't work:?).

I'm looking for a solution for carrying to & from work every day, and while I realize this is an OPEN carry forum, it's also the only local one I've found.:lol: Anyways, I'm strictly forbidden from bringing a weapon into the building where I start my day and specifically from locking one in my locker. Locking it inside my vehicle while on-duty isn't an option since I rarely drive, I ride my motorcycle every day rain or shine. Now I could lock it in my saddlebags, but the trouble with that is in the process of doing so I'll be exposing it to full view of passers-by and specifically the security cameras in front of the building. And since this is a union job my co-workers are primarily gun-hating Obammunist liberals, and I don't think the legal issue of storing a weapon in your vehicle has been completely resolved in this state. So the only I solution I can see is one of those goofy fanny-pack holsters, so it's not obvious what I'm doing. I'm hopeing maybe someone here will have an option I havn't thought of. I'm starting to feel very naked without my gun:cool:

Mainsail

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
...I'm strictly forbidden from bringing a weapon into the building where I start my day and specifically from locking one in my locker.
Locking it inside my vehicle while on-duty isn't an option since I rarely drive, I ride my motorcycle every day rain or shine.
So you can't bring it inside and you can't leave it outside. I think you ran out of options.

bugly

imported post

Start a grievance with the union rep, stating that you believe your Constitutional rights are being violated by the company (don't be specific until you have their support in righting this wrongdoing), then tell them it's your right to bear arms, if they refuse to support you, get a different job, you don't want to support the communist uprising anyway...
Vive le revolucion!

j2l3

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
don't they make gun underwear called "thunderwear" or something?

Actually.... there is... it's by an outfit called Ridge. www.sportsmansguide.com search for item AX9A-129731X. This is for a large gun, right hand. They carry it for right or left hand, differnt sizes of guns and in black or white. It's a sleeveless concealment T-Shirt.

Cost is $31.97 - $34.97 depending on shirt size.

just_a_car

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
don't they make gun underwear called "thunderwear" or something?
Also, I know someone that I don't see on this forum nearly enough anymore, sean-1286, that uses SmartCarry that's an undergarment holster and he swears by it.

Plus, it might give you an advantage with the ladies if you're packing a "full size." ;):p

Metalhead47

imported post

Allow me to clarify, I'm only looking for a way to carry to & from work, on duty is probably the one place I don't feel the need to carry. But it seems a legal battle might be my only option after all. I just re-read the section in my policy manual and it prohibits even having a weapon in one's personal vehicle while on company property. Which I find to be utter BS:cuss:. But this could be my catalyst too. I know there was a case decided recently in OK or somewhere that said an employer could not prohibit employees from keeping weapons in their vehicles, plus by doing do my employer effectively prohibits me from carrying at all if I'm going to be on the property during my day. Plus, I work for a county agency, and it seems they ought to abide by county (preempted by state) law:banghead:

j2l3

imported post

I could be wrong, but I believe the county can prohibit weapons carryby their employeesin their capacity as an employer. I am not sure of the court case but it involved Vashon Fire Dept. I beleive it might be Vashon v Cherry. Someone help me out here.

joeroket

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I believe the county can prohibit weapons carry by their employees in their capacity as an employer.  I am not sure of the court case but it involved Vashon Fire Dept.  I beleive it might be Vashon v Cherry.  Someone help me out here.

It was Cherry v. Seattle

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=23

You are mixing two cases together. The other was Estes vs Vashon Fire District.

PolskiG

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Allow me to clarify, I'm only looking for a way to carry to & from work, on duty is probably the one place I don't feel the need to carry.

So.. maybe you should park off site then? Get a paddle type holster that clips in and out of your pants thenput the gun in yoursaddle bagsusing a towel that you leave in your bike so no one can see. You gotta think "prison style" baby!! Hide that shank any way possible so that you don't become someones bit$%!!

Metalhead47

imported post

Ironic that that Cherry case involves Metro as I happen to work for a public transit agency (not Metro. Couldn't pass the "lack of psychological stability" test:lol: for them). No offsite parking anywhere nearby. I can understand the potential liability issues restricting carry while on duty, but it's the parking lot thing that's actually got me ticked enough to raise a stink now.

arentol

imported post

Four things I can think of to do:

Follow the rules and not bring a gun to work ever.

Break the rules by buying yourself a small gun like a P32, P3AT, Ruger LCP, which can be carried almost anywhere without being obvious and carry that while at work.

Put a gun in a lock box bolted to your motorcycle and hidden inside your saddlebags. Never open the lock box while actually at work, stop a few blocks from your office, or a few blocks away as you are leaving, and put the gun in/take it out, at those locations. Use different locations at different distances each day. Park off site if you don't want to break the rules, otherwise break the rules and park on site.

Address the issue with your management, find out their reasoning, and see if you can change their mind or work out a compromise, such as employee purchased safes bolted into their locker or some other location where the gun must be secured at all times after arriving until you are on your way out.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.botachtactical.com/frariipica.html
Ibought one of these and mounted it in my truck. I also have to park off site if I want to carry into work. You can get them locally from Mary's Pistols. It can be stuffed in a backpack.

Look into these as well: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282585
You can get them from Sportmans, Cabelas and online. They fit almost anywhere and are mountable. The cable system allows you to secure the weapon in the case and the case to the frame as an idea.

nofoa

imported post

I think they changed the name to smart carry. They come in small/med/large (I use medium, with a SW MP .40c +2 mags) I too am new to carrying but i think this is a really comfortable system. I have forgotten i was wearing and it allows total range of motion. I haven't tried running with it yet, but i have moved boxes and done alot* of sitting around on couches with it.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

Here is the address and the number for the west coast dealer. Guy lived just down the road from me.

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Utley Road
Snohomish, WA 98270
425-327-0250 Orders

[/font]

Metalhead47

imported post

Yes, my wife & I both have our CPL's (still don't get that whole "need a CPL to carry in a vehicle even if OCing" thing).

Come to find out we're both in the same boat. I re-read the section in my policy manual & she finally looked it up in hers. We're both prohibited from having weapons EVEN IN OUR PERSONAL VEHICLES on company property.

This little bit really pissed us the :cuss:eek:ff when we found out. Now we're effectively prohibited from carrying our lawfully owned & carried weapons AT ANY TIME if at any point during our day we'll be on company property. I don't know if policies like this have every been challenged in WA but this looks like flagrant violation of our constitutional rights now. We can't even leave our guns locked in a vehicle to go shooting after work without risking our jobs!

badger54

imported post

Could you or your wife use any of the park and rides in the south end. If any body questions you could always tell them you are trying to save money or be environmentally friendly.