• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was I supposed to say?

FunkTrooper

imported post

Today I was out grocery shopping with my girlfriend here in the Pullman area. We were hungry and so we stopped by an arbys, well as I was swiping my card to pay the guy at the counter asked "Why do you carry a firearm" taken slightly aback I took a second and then said "because... I can". Afterwards all I could think about was what I should've said like "crime dterrent" or "my right as a citizen".

bugly

imported post

"Because there is nothing in the laws of this State that forbid the peaceful bearing of personal firearms"
"Because I am not a criminal and my carrying this in public proves it"
"Because people sometimes need to defend themselves and they're not always prepared, I am"
"Because my pants won't fit properly if I don't"
"Why do you drive around in a 2500 lb. guided missile?"
(ad infinitum, ad nauseum...)

Mainsail

imported post

My answer: “What? Are you serious? Tacoma is the most crime infested city in the entire northwest, the better question is, why don’t you have a gun?”

drallen85

imported post

I haven't tried the Pullman arbys yet, but I did get that question at dissmore's earlier today. my answer was, "being a law abiding citizen it is my right under the washington state constitution to carry a firearm and it makes me feel safer to carry." By the way it was a customer that asked not an employee, I've never had any questions from employees.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
My answer: “What? Are you serious? Tacoma is the most crime infested city in the entire northwest, the better question is, why don’t you have a gun?”

LOL....

My freind told me he was thinking of moving to Tacoma and asked where the wrong side of the tracks are. I told him there are none.

I have used the because I can line on a neighborhood kid who was at our house. His father later approached me about that he is a teacher and I thought UH-OH. But he said that was the perfect thing to say. And that he had a talk with his kid, who is about 8 years old, about our rights and why we should excercise them even if we don't feel it necessary.

bugly

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Mainsail wrote:

LOL....

My freind told me he was thinking of moving to Tacoma and asked where the wrong side of the tracks are. I told him there are none.

I have used the because I can line on a neighborhood kid who was at our house. His father later approached me about that he is a teacher and I thought UH-OH. But he said that was the perfect thing to say. And that he had a talk with his kid, who is about 8 years old, about our rights and why we should excercise them even if we don't feel it necessary.
EPIC WIN!!!!!!!!:celebrate

PT111

imported post

After you have thought about it for a while, Why Do You Carry A Gun? Be truthful, cut out the BS, and answer the question to yourself. If you can't come up with a reason to convince yourself why you carry one then how are you to convince someone else.

As I said cut out the BS and the hypotheoretical stuff and answer the question to yourself. The next time someone asks you why you can answer them without worrying about it.

GWbiker

imported post

I OC in a few Arby's and Mc-D's on many occasions and I've never been asked why I have a gun, however, I have been asked what KIND of gun I was carrying -- make, caliber, how reliable and accurate.

Person who posed the question then told me about HIS gun!

Hey......this is Arizona.

Machoduck

imported post

PT111 wrote:
After you have thought about it for a while, Why Do You Carry A Gun? Be truthful, cut out the BS, and answer the question to yourself. If you can't come up with a reason to convince yourself why you carry one then how are you to convince someone else.

As I said cut out the BS and the hypotheoretical stuff and answer the question to yourself. The next time someone asks you why you can answer them without worrying about it.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winning post here!

Basic truths of life. Understand your own motives. Talk straight from the heart to others; people can tell a salesman when they hear one. That hypotheoretical stuff is only for the hypotheoreticians; most people aren't interested. And...always a little patience. People get all sorts of crazy ideas from all sorts of places. It takes time to straighten out the disorder, yet most will respond to simple honesty.

MD

FunkTrooper

imported post

I know why I carry I just haven't had any questions and was surprised that he had noticed. I'm ready for someone who is being confrontational just not someones curiosity.

arentol

imported post

PT111 wrote:

My daughter was born 35 days ago. Before she was born I didn't have a single gun. Today I own four guns.

Why do I carry a gun?

Because I will do whatever it takes to ensure my daughter gets a chance to grow up, and gets to do so with a father and mother around to help her and guide her.

Because I wish to teach my daughter how to be self sufficient through both instruction AND example.

Because not carrying a gun when I am trained to do so is irresponsible and a disservice to everyone around me.

Triple Tap

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Ok I just have to say I like the end of this... answering a question with a question. "Why DON'T you have one"? I makes them think about it, just not take your answer and discard it.

cynicist

imported post

I generally go with the "why don't you?" when dumb people ask me questions. Since it's the Yakima Valley, I actually press them for a reason not to- either way, they understand why I do.

David.Car

imported post

I pretty much always go the joke route... "Because a cop was too heavy" or "The cop wouldn't stay still when I had him on my belt"

I do like the "why dont you" remark. Gonna have to use that next time.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
Dave The Welder wrote:
I OC at Arby's all the time. Glad to see more OCers around Pullman
I still have the pamphlet you gave me.
Okay, now you've got my interest. Where was I when I gave you the pamphlet?
I walked up to you at Dismores and started talking to you about OCing probably in October.