Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: Asked not to bring it around anymore.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    I have been frequenting a local establishment here in Alamogordo NM for the past few months. Ialways OC. It's a comic store, the first time I went into it I spoke with the owner and made sure that he was cool with me OCing in his store. He said that he had no issues at all with it. So everything goes business as usual. I go there to hang out with some friends on the weekends sometimes and generally hang out with some of the other customers.

    This morning I received an email stating that he would rather that I not OC the weapon in the store anymore because it was impressed upon him by some of his customers that it was making them "uncomfortable". He didn't have an issue with me CCing in the store (however he is aware my permit is expired)or suggested that I leave it in my truck/bike or let him put in behind his counter. This is from a guy that I helped get his CC Florida nonresidentlicense and from someone that comes to me when he has any questions related to the common sense do's and don'ts of carrying.

    It just came as a shock to me that's all. I'm not asking for any help or anything I just wanted everyone to be aware that even when you think everything is good to go you can get a curve ball thrown your way. For the record I sent him a polite email stating that I would not be a patron of his store any longer and that it is a shame that the fact thata couple people are "uncomfortable" would make him lose one of his best customers (I don't just hang out,Iplay MTG and buy the cards there and they arn't cheap, but I like supporting local businesses rather than ordering stuff online even if I have to pay a little more).

    Also for the record, I am a very curtious person and mind my Ps & Qs and am generally very amiable and never touch or make motions to my weapon.I don'teven talk about it unless someone brings it up first. So, someone in the store is rather sensitive it seems. Oh, well I'll chalk this one up to experience and move on.



    Edit/typo/spelling


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    Well that is a total lose for him and his store and i hope that you have better luck with other places that you frequent. Im always happy to hear stories, good or bad, of people who OC.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vegas, ,
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    Sorry you lost your spot, but I'd do the exact same thing. Don't give up your liberties and self-protection to appease other people. You're doin the right thing, IMO. BTW, I recommend nobody relinquish their side arm(s), especially to a clerk/cashier, no matter how cool they are. Stay armed and just leave if they ask.

    Keep oc'in!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    One customer vs multiple customers... you lose.

    Look at it this way. You're surprised the guy asked you to conceal it because you thought you were friends. He was probably thinking that since you're his friend you'd understand that he needs to make money and stay in business, and that you wouldn't have a problem just throwing a shirt over your gun for his sake. Instead, you just got whiny and told him you weren't going to his store anymore, simply because he asked you for a favor. Now who's the unsupportive friend?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    674

    Post imported post

    Yeah, you didn't even talk to him about it, just threw an ultimatum.

    Nice guy.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Noultimatum was thrown. i just told him have a nice day. i didn't say, unless you let me OC i won't come back. I'm not coming back. I realize that he's running a business.

    There are people there that say that they like me there with my gun OC. And theyfeel more comfortable because of it.

    I am in between permits atm anyway (waiting on the Fla res to process)not to mention it's a full size G20.

    AWD and Aran, you don't seem to understand. But, that's ok. There will always be a couple.

  7. #7
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    And the two trolls chime in, right on schedule. :quirky

    Jizzle, I think you did good. If he is so worried about 2 pansies making a complaint about your gun, then he can lose your continued business. Simple as that. You lose very little, because as you say, you can get what you would buy there for cheaper online. If he is going to capitulate to antis over keeping your business, then he can lose it. Sad, but then, there is a reason small businesses like that are going away.

    All the guy needed to say to these people was that it was legal and you haven't ever been a problem, and they would have most likely accepted that. Instead he makes you out to be the bad guy. Shop somewhere else, leave the antis to their gun free zone.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    Something naysayers need to keep in mind... Jizzle may be spending MORE money than the two customers combined. As such, keeping Jizzle around would be more profitable.

    Number of customers isn't always the best metric to use. Sometimes you need to measure the quality of customer and the customer purchasing quantity. Just counting heads only tells you how many walked through the door, not how much was purchased.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Springfield45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    And the two trolls chime in, right on schedule. :quirky

    Jizzle, I think you did good. If he is so worried about 2 pansies making a complaint about your gun, then he can lose your continued business. Simple as that. You lose very little, because as you say, you can get what you would buy there for cheaper online. If he is going to capitulate to antis over keeping your business, then he can lose it. Sad, but then, there is a reason small businesses like that are going away.


    All the guy needed to say to these people was that it was legal and you haven't ever been a problem, and they would have most likely accepted that. Instead he makes you out to be the bad guy. Shop somewhere else, leave the antis to their gun free zone.
    +1, If he was your "friend" as you thought he was, he would have absolutely stood up for you, and you would have never got the e-mail. Instead, he's catering to the crybaby antis... Shop somewhere else.

    ~~Springfield

    Edit Spelling.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    darthmord wrote:
    Something naysayers need to keep in mind... Jizzle may be spending MORE money than the two customers combined. As such, keeping Jizzle around would be more profitable.

    And the moon MAY be made of cheese...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Near The Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    454

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    Something naysayers need to keep in mind... Jizzle may be spending MORE money than the two customers combined. As such, keeping Jizzle around would be more profitable.

    And the moon MAY be made of cheese...
    One thing is not in doubt the business lost a repeat and previously loyal customer.



  12. #12
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Jizzle,

    I had a similar issue with a favorite pizzia resurtant. Never had any problems. I was always polite and friendly.I was a regular customer. Then one day the manager came over to my table and said I'd have to take the gun outside. I bid them farewell and don't intend to return. The manager could have taken my side but instead took the easy out. Sorry to hear the same thing happened to you.

    Jizzzle wrote:
    There are people there that say that they like me there with my gun OC. And theyfeel more comfortable because of it.
    OK, that's nice but my question is if they feel safer with a gun nearby why the heck aren't they carrying one of their own? Why are they making you some sort of freelance bodyguard/security officer instead of taking responsibility for their own safety? While I certainly don't want someone telling me they feel uneasy because of my gun on my hip I equally don't want someone to take advantage of the perception of safety I bring from exercising my 2nd Admendment rights. If all of those other people who were comfortable with your OCing had mentioned something to the manager in your favor maybe you would not have gotten that email. If they had all been OCing as you were then you would not have been the bad guy here. We are trying to sway public opinion regarding the legality and acceptance of OC. We need numbers.It's not enough for someone to tell me, "Hey that's cool." I want to know why, if it's so cool, that other person isn't doing it. When someone asks me why I am wearing a gun I strike back with "Why the hell aren't you?" I'm not there to make other people feel more comfortable. That's their fracking responsibility.[/rant]
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  13. #13
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    He has the right to run his store as he sees fit.

    You have the right not to help him pay to do so.

    If he doesn't want you to bring your gun, he can't complain when you comply with his wishes, also keeping your money out of his establishment.

    I wonder if those who were "uncomfortable" spend as much money as you did? I guess he'll find out.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    I get my MTG cards from ebay anyway, almost unlimited selection. Good call on taking your business elsewhere.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    he knows the laws. i wish that he had cited them and just stood his ground. since january i've spent roughly 4-500 bucks there. not a huge amount, but not bad either. oh well. life goes on.



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    Ok I think I see the problem here, your hanging out in a comic book store.


    Start hanging out in a Harley shop or a gun store.

    You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    Jeffytune wrote:
    Ok I think I see the problem here, your hanging out in a comic book store.


    Start hanging out in a Harley shop or a gun store.

    You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.
    Ummmmm......There's a difference???

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    Jeffytune wrote:
    Ok I think I see the problem here, your hanging out in a comic book store.


    Start hanging out in a Harley shop or a gun store.

    You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.
    ... Jizzzle ...

    Comic book stores are great places to hang out as gun and bike shops , so why be limited .

    Before you write off this stituation I would be the stronger person and engage in an eye to eye talk inorder to share my own feelings and thoughts before I made up my mind . Of course I would not give the comic book store owner any idea of my decision until after giving them a chance to see the error they were making in regard to OC in their store . Your treatening to never shop there may not win your ultimate goals . Do you want to win or lose ? I will bet you can win this time if you play the players .



  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    Jeffytune wrote:
    Ok I think I see the problem here, your hanging out in a comic book store.


    Start hanging out in a Harley shop or a gun store.

    You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.
    Ummmmm......There's a difference???



  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    674

    Post imported post

    With a name like Jizzle... have you considered hanging out at a porn shop?

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Just out of curiosity, how old are you jizzle?

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Aran wrote:
    With a name like Jizzle... have you considered hanging out at a porn shop?
    It's a play on my family name.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, how old are you jizzle?
    I'm 27.

    In regards to what you said Razor, I don't like games at all. I'm very straight to the point. I did however realize that I might have been hasty.

    I sent a follow up email to the owner asking if he would call me when it was convenient for him to do so and that i would appreciate if he would offer the people that felt "uncomfortable" an invitation from me to go to the range and go over some fire arms saftey and do some shooting.

    people are scared of what they don't understand right? so after i thought about it i decided that the best course of action to take was education not alienation i guess would be the best way to put it. we will see if it resolves anything. I'm trying to do my part.

    also for yale, a couple of the people that go to the shop are sub 21 (and 1 or 2 sub 18) being the reason that they can't/don't carry and the other individual that says he feels safer with someone like me there has a medical condition that precludes him from carrying (not sure what it's called but his handsshake a lot and he goes through lots of surgeries). The other guys in the shop just do their own thing. I don't really pay a lotta attention to them.

  24. #24
    Regular Member XD40coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    woman stuck in Maryland, ,
    Posts
    709

    Post imported post

    Considering all the cool as heck graphic novels out there with excellent art of assorted kickass firearms, and the seeming glorification of such by said artists depicting them in a such a manner, I find it quite ironic that some customers of such a business selling such would feel all uncomfy about OC. Are these anti gun people going in looking for some sort of G rated stuff, like Disney comics? LOL



    GawdI wish my art skills were in drawing and illustration, I'd be doing some really kickass graphic novels. The imagination is there, but the rest isn't.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    ya i can't answer that one for you.

    i think it may be a mother possibly that's never been to the store that might have called in. i have seen some childeren (10-12ish)in the shop from time to time but they just ooh and ahh and i just tell them that they need to be responsible and its a big responsibility when they ask questions about it.

    other than that i have no idea who it could have been.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •