• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked not to bring it around anymore.

Jizzzle

imported post

I have been frequenting a local establishment here in Alamogordo NM for the past few months. Ialways OC. It's a comic store, the first time I went into it I spoke with the owner and made sure that he was cool with me OCing in his store. He said that he had no issues at all with it. So everything goes business as usual. I go there to hang out with some friends on the weekends sometimes and generally hang out with some of the other customers.

This morning I received an email stating that he would rather that I not OC the weapon in the store anymore because it was impressed upon him by some of his customers that it was making them "uncomfortable". He didn't have an issue with me CCing in the store (however he is aware my permit is expired)or suggested that I leave it in my truck/bike or let him put in behind his counter. This is from a guy that I helped get his CC Florida nonresidentlicense and from someone that comes to me when he has any questions related to the common sense do's and don'ts of carrying.

It just came as a shock to me that's all. I'm not asking for any help or anything I just wanted everyone to be aware that even when you think everything is good to go you can get a curve ball thrown your way. For the record I sent him a polite email stating that I would not be a patron of his store any longer and that it is a shame that the fact thata couple people are "uncomfortable" would make him lose one of his best customers (I don't just hang out,Iplay MTG and buy the cards there and they arn't cheap, but I like supporting local businesses rather than ordering stuff online even if I have to pay a little more).

Also for the record, I am a very curtious person and mind my Ps & Qs and am generally very amiable and never touch or make motions to my weapon.I don'teven talk about it unless someone brings it up first. So, someone in the store is rather sensitive it seems. Oh, well I'll chalk this one up to experience and move on.

Edit/typo/spelling

headhunter09

imported post

Well that is a total lose for him and his store and i hope that you have better luck with other places that you frequent. Im always happy to hear stories, good or bad, of people who OC.

BhmBill

imported post

Sorry you lost your spot, but I'd do the exact same thing. Don't give up your liberties and self-protection to appease other people. You're doin the right thing, IMO. BTW, I recommend nobody relinquish their side arm(s), especially to a clerk/cashier, no matter how cool they are. Stay armed and just leave if they ask.

Keep oc'in!

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

One customer vs multiple customers... you lose.

Look at it this way. You're surprised the guy asked you to conceal it because you thought you were friends. He was probably thinking that since you're his friend you'd understand that he needs to make money and stay in business, and that you wouldn't have a problem just throwing a shirt over your gun for his sake. Instead, you just got whiny and told him you weren't going to his store anymore, simply because he asked you for a favor. Now who's the unsupportive friend?

Jizzzle

imported post

Noultimatum was thrown. i just told him have a nice day. i didn't say, unless you let me OC i won't come back. I'm not coming back. I realize that he's running a business.

There are people there that say that they like me there with my gun OC. And theyfeel more comfortable because of it.

I am in between permits atm anyway (waiting on the Fla res to process)not to mention it's a full size G20.

AWD and Aran, you don't seem to understand. But, that's ok. There will always be a couple.

compmanio365

imported post

And the two trolls chime in, right on schedule. :quirky

Jizzle, I think you did good. If he is so worried about 2 pansies making a complaint about your gun, then he can lose your continued business. Simple as that. You lose very little, because as you say, you can get what you would buy there for cheaper online. If he is going to capitulate to antis over keeping your business, then he can lose it. Sad, but then, there is a reason small businesses like that are going away.

All the guy needed to say to these people was that it was legal and you haven't ever been a problem, and they would have most likely accepted that. Instead he makes you out to be the bad guy. Shop somewhere else, leave the antis to their gun free zone.

darthmord

imported post

Something naysayers need to keep in mind... Jizzle may be spending MORE money than the two customers combined. As such, keeping Jizzle around would be more profitable.

Number of customers isn't always the best metric to use. Sometimes you need to measure the quality of customer and the customer purchasing quantity. Just counting heads only tells you how many walked through the door, not how much was purchased.

Springfield45

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
And the two trolls chime in, right on schedule. :quirky

Jizzle, I think you did good. If he is so worried about 2 pansies making a complaint about your gun, then he can lose your continued business. Simple as that. You lose very little, because as you say, you can get what you would buy there for cheaper online. If he is going to capitulate to antis over keeping your business, then he can lose it. Sad, but then, there is a reason small businesses like that are going away.

All the guy needed to say to these people was that it was legal and you haven't ever been a problem, and they would have most likely accepted that. Instead he makes you out to be the bad guy. Shop somewhere else, leave the antis to their gun free zone.
+1, If he was your "friend" as you thought he was, he would have absolutely stood up for you, and you would have never got the e-mail. Instead, he's catering to the crybaby antis... Shop somewhere else.

~~Springfield

Edit Spelling.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

darthmord wrote:
Something naysayers need to keep in mind... Jizzle may be spending MORE money than the two customers combined. As such, keeping Jizzle around would be more profitable.

And the moon MAY be made of cheese...

sraacke

imported post

Jizzle,

I had a similar issue with a favorite pizzia resurtant. Never had any problems. I was always polite and friendly.I was a regular customer. Then one day the manager came over to my table and said I'd have to take the gun outside. I bid them farewell and don't intend to return. The manager could have taken my side but instead took the easy out. Sorry to hear the same thing happened to you.

Jizzzle wrote:
There are people there that say that they like me there with my gun OC. And theyfeel more comfortable because of it.
OK, that's nice but my question is if they feel safer with a gun nearby why the heck aren't they carrying one of their own? Why are they making you some sort of freelance bodyguard/security officer instead of taking responsibility for their own safety? While I certainly don't want someone telling me they feel uneasy because of my gun on my hip I equally don't want someone to take advantage of the perception of safety I bring from exercising my 2nd Admendment rights. If all of those other people who were comfortable with your OCing had mentioned something to the manager in your favor maybe you would not have gotten that email. If they had all been OCing as you were then you would not have been the bad guy here. We are trying to sway public opinion regarding the legality and acceptance of OC. We need numbers.It's not enough for someone to tell me, "Hey that's cool." I want to know why, if it's so cool, that other person isn't doing it. When someone asks me why I am wearing a gun I strike back with "Why the hell aren't you?" I'm not there to make other people feel more comfortable. That's their fracking responsibility.[/rant]

Deanimator

imported post

He has the right to run his store as he sees fit.

You have the right not to help him pay to do so.

If he doesn't want you to bring your gun, he can't complain when you comply with his wishes, also keeping your money out of his establishment.

I wonder if those who were "uncomfortable" spend as much money as you did? I guess he'll find out.

Jizzzle

imported post

he knows the laws. i wish that he had cited them and just stood his ground. since january i've spent roughly 4-500 bucks there. not a huge amount, but not bad either. oh well. life goes on.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jeffytune

imported post

Ok I think I see the problem here, your hanging out in a comic book store.

Start hanging out in a Harley shop or a gun store.

You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:

You will meet a better grade of people there, who will not be worried you have a gun.
Ummmmm......There's a difference???

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Jeffytune wrote:

... Jizzzle ...

Comic book stores are great places to hang out as gun and bike shops , so why be limited .

Before you write off this stituation I would be the stronger person and engage in an eye to eye talk inorder to share my own feelings and thoughts before I made up my mind . Of course I would not give the comic book store owner any idea of my decision until after giving them a chance to see the error they were making in regard to OC in their store . Your treatening to never shop there may not win your ultimate goals . Do you want to win or lose ? I will bet you can win this time if you play the players .

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jeffytune wrote:

Ummmmm......There's a difference???

:lol: