• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC dogwalk, against advice! sorry. But cool!!!

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

So I couldn't wait anymore. I wanted to walk the dog, and I wanted to do it knowing I could have my pistol with me, just right there.

No Rambo, no Young guns, just knowing that I didn't have to worry as much about being out of shape, and getting beat on if someone decided that seemed like an entertaining evening.

Dog hates guns. He is an english pointer. Supposed to be a bird dog, but we rescued him from the pound and named him Banjo. He was chained in some ladies yard for the whole 2 years of his young life, so he still has issues. He has progressed alot in the last year, and learned to be a pretty good dog, but he is 100% gun shy. Me and him are workin on that. He wants to retrieve ducks and geese, and birds, and I want him to. I want to take him to a phesant reserve near Louiseville and just him track down some yummy for us to take home.

So he knows the smell of gun oil and got all fidgety. But he overcame that pretty fast.
We walked about 3 miles in an hour. He pooped like 5 times I swear! I looked like I was carrying home bagged groceries for a large family of squirrels. 4 poop baggies in all, cause I double used the last one.

First thing I noticed is that I'm pretty sure my holster is the wrong size.
It was very top heavy and started leaning out and back the longer I walked.

I'm round abouts the equater if you catch my drift and it's easy to hoist the belt up a notch and highwater the slacks around MooB town all day, but after about a mile this gun and gravity were conspiring against my drawers!!!

I don't know if there are any gun snobs here, but I own a Hi-Point .40 S&W and a Hi-Point 9mm, a Remgington 850 magnum 12 guage and a 1946 Moisen Nagant Carbine.
I like the Hi-points. I am pretty new to guns though I had some as a kid they were just "kids" guns. .22 410 and so on.

I got the .40 for me and the 9mm for the "missus" after it proved really difficult for her to cycle the .40. She doesn't even care about the 9, she likes blades. She has a decorative, but razor sharp bladed weapon in every room of the house but the crapper.
I still feel better knowing now that she can quickly handle the 9 if she has to. She's actually very proficient with it now.

So anyway, I like those guns. They are my entry level guns. If I stay interested in them, then I will move up to some nicer craftsmanship when I need more features or more refinement in particular areas.

That's what me and the old guy at RLC in Florence talked about. He said they were cheap functional guns, and if I wanted to get started with guns as a hobby they were a great start. And he was right. I like that guy and I like that store. He's a good "Shop guy". He doesn't mind talking to you if you seem serious and aren't just there to talk a bunch of crap.
But the younger guy, seemed kind of a gun snob. I went in there to ask about a holster for the .40 and he said, "We don't carry anything for that p.o.s." "It's gigantic, and blocky", "Get a decent gun if you want to holster it".

That's just bad business in my opinion. I'm trying to give you my money!!! You want money! I want some STUFF. Take the money and give me some stuff!!!
OR complain that my stuff is crappy.

I'm happy for you that you don't need my money. Being rich must be awesome. I wouldn't know. Sorry to bother you.
I'll go somewhere else.

So anyway. The gun started flopping all around, and the metal retainer clip that holds on to my belt, which was actually clipping over my whole belt, and the waist band of my pants, started digging into my skin after about mile 2.

I have two photos here. Once of the holster with the .40 in it and one with the 9mm in the same holster.
I shot it from the side that clips on to my pants so you can better understand my points of interest.

If you look a the .40, it rides real high out of the top. I am of the opinion it should probably fit further down into the holster or that the retainer should be higher, and tilted clockwise about 12 degrees so that when it's clipped on, the gun is rolled forward a bit. Easier to catch in my hand, and when I draw out, I'll be drawing forward and up so the 12 degrees tipped forward allows my natural arm motion without trying to bend the gun inside the holster.
Does that make sense.

The 9mm rides well on my hip in that holster, but as you can see the grip handle is almost completely eaten up so it is difficult to get my hand around it. I ended up grabbing it from the end of the magazine hook a couple times lol.

Well just lookin for input. I appreciate it.
~Kevin~

Butterbone

imported post

I did run the belt through the patch on the back, and that was much better, but still a little too top heavy.

I think I need a new holster. That one would work just fine for the 9mm as long as it's girl hands that are gonna grab it out of there.

So I think the misses just got a new to her holster, while I will still be shopping lol.

I guess at this point I'll move the the holster thread to get some more input.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

TheMrMitch

imported post

A good paddle holster will do wonders.

Now....the dog. Take a .22 rifle and some dog goodies on your next outing. Anchor the leash to your waist and let the dog sniff the rifle. Walk and fire the rifle.....hang on. After he calms a bit, give him a goodie. Repeat until you can work up to a shotgun. It worked for me.

sandcast69

imported post

Here are some options for a holster for your Hi-Point.

http://www.concealgun.com/category/899-Hi-Point_Holsters.aspx

As for the snob....If it does what it was designed to do reliably, and your comfortable shooting it, then it's a good gun regardless of what it costs or what it looks like.

Give your money to people that appreciate your business.

Good luck & Keep Carrying!
sandcast69

KBCraig

imported post

Before you get a new holster, get a new belt. Seriously.

The best holster on a flimsy belt will still flop around. A crappy holster on a good belt will be at least acceptable, if not better.

Get a belt that is wide, thick, and stiff. Preferably, two layers sewn together.

This will not be cheap, and you won't find it at Wal-Mart. Prepare to spend at least $40, probably twice that.

Brian D.

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
The Hi-Point, yeah!

I always wanted to shoot a Hi-Point in a pin match and smoke the guys with the Kimbers and Les Baers.
Then be prepared to practice as much as the guys with the Kimbers and Les Baers, and it could perhaps happen. As the old saying goes it's way more about the "Indian" than his bow or arrow...

Brian D.

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Before you get a new holster, get a new belt. Seriously.

The best holster on a flimsy belt will still flop around. A crappy holster on a good belt will be at least acceptable, if not better.

Get a belt that is wide, thick, and stiff. Preferably, two layers sewn together.

This will not be cheap, and you won't find it at Wal-Mart. Prepare to spend at least $40, probably twice that.

Good advice on the belt, although it sometimes very sadly falls on deaf ears. If one doesn't mind nylon the belts fromWildernessor 5.11 Products work pretty well, and run $35 or so.

5.11 has leather belts too, although at that same price point they aren't quite stiff enough for my taste. Aker's leather belts (try Gall's online) are decent and run about $40. Also, I bought an Amish-made leather belt at Boot Country (Cincinnati/northern Kentucky western wear shop) that is almost double-thick, and was again around $35 at the time. Any color you want, as long as it's brown or black! :)

One last thing: The computer I'm using today is not cooperating with link-posting, sorry about that.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I started out with an inexpensive holster similar to that without the mag pocket and had similar issues. My solution was to put the clip over the pants' waistband and then run the belt over the holster, sandwiching the holster between my pants and belt. IMO, this method actually works better with a less stiff belt than with a good gun belt.

The gun stayed put and worked fine that way (although re-holstering was a hassle and required loosening and retightening the belt, but then nobody ever won a gun fight by being the fastest to re-holster his weapon). I still use that holster every once in a while for certain things, carried the same way with regular belts I otherwise don't use anymore.

Butterbone

imported post

What a great day!!!

I didn't change my belt. I know I know. It's not that I have written off the belt advice, I just got another option presented to me today.
A guy I work with said if I am going to OC, then I should probably look for a Kydex or Plastic Paddle holster. He has one of those for one of his million guns and said they are real comfortable and handle real well and he said to try a Fobus, or Uncle Mikes.

So I went to a pawn shop in Florence that has a dedicated gun shop in it. Nice place, they have alot of stuff. If you haven't been, they have some really interesting rifles in there right now.
They also have a Taurus 1911 I am very interested in. I see the holster. Talked to the guy about a FP something or other Dragonov clone, and decided to ask them if the .40 would fit in the .45 and they said sure. $22.50 Great deal.

A Fobus HPP .45 Paddle holster that also fits my .40.

Oh happy day! It's freakin great. It just slips right on over the waistband and belt. It rides much lower and tipped forward about 8 or 9 degrees. It has some rubbery stuff on the inside and was very comfortable. It didn't slip around at all. It didn't bow out.

It has the trigger guard retention, so I am still working on drawing out consistently.
If it's that hard for me to draw the gun out, then I feel better about someone else trying to snatch it out.

I did about 2 miles with the dog, he was excited to see the gun today. As soon as I got the pistol in the old holster to test out the new holster, he started wagging his tail, and got his dopey smile on. It was a much more secure and satisfying feeling being able to walk that far without the jiggle and the wobble being present.

Now I have to purchase a magazine holder since the Fobus doesn't have space for the second clip.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Brian D. wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
The Hi-Point, yeah!

I always wanted to shoot a Hi-Point in a pin match and smoke the guys with the Kimbers and Les Baers.
Then be prepared to practice as much as the guys with the Kimbers and Les Baers, and it could perhaps happen. As the old saying goes it's way more about the "Indian" than his bow or arrow...
Set 'em up, cowboy.

bedfordnky

imported post

Go to quick cash at turfway and lloyd in florence buy a fobus holster thats whatI jog with whenI carry my highpoint 9mm its perfect stays right on jogging pants and basketball shorts at speeds pretty much running, on another not my pit hates guns the first timeI took him jogging with me he wouldn't walk on my right side.

bedfordnky

imported post

Go to quick cash at turfway and lloyd in florence buy a fobus holster thats whatI jog with whenI carry my highpoint 9mm its perfect stays right on jogging pants and basketball shorts at speeds pretty much running, on another not my pit hates guns the first timeI took him jogging with me he wouldn't walk on my right side.

Pagan

imported post

I have a nice 3 layer sewn belt, purchased from Walmart for 12 bucks, thick and stiff. I also have a nylon holster that had the straps as those pictured do, with the snap on the outside of the gun making for difficult quick draws. I cut my straps loose from each side and reversed them, using some Loctite "stick n seal" original waterproof adheasive to re attach them. Now my cheap nylon holster works very well, but the straps are not adjustable for different guns anymore. Although the ergonomics are worth it. Very quick and effective inexpensive holster.

When the straps were reversed with the snap on the outside, it would get caught on things and unsnap, I also had to unsnap and the sweep my thumb back over the top of the gun to get a proper grip. Most good snap style holsters have the snap on the inside so the thumb can break it loose while getting a proper grip before drawing.

Gunslinger

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
The Hi-Point, yeah!

Right. If they let you stand 3 feet from the pin. You get what you pay for, and no $130 Hi-Point, although well made for the price, is going to "smoke" a Kimber, SIG or SA Operator, much less a Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson or STI 1911.

Gunslinger

imported post

Butterbone wrote:
So I couldn't wait anymore. I wanted to walk the dog, and I wanted to do it knowing I could have my pistol with me, just right there.

No Rambo, no Young guns, just knowing that I didn't have to worry as much about being out of shape, and getting beat on if someone decided that seemed like an entertaining evening.

Dog hates guns. He is an english pointer. Supposed to be a bird dog, but we rescued him from the pound and named him Banjo. He was chained in some ladies yard for the whole 2 years of his young life, so he still has issues. He has progressed alot in the last year, and learned to be a pretty good dog, but he is 100% gun shy. Me and him are workin on that. He wants to retrieve ducks and geese, and birds, and I want him to. I want to take him to a phesant reserve near Louiseville and just him track down some yummy for us to take home.

So he knows the smell of gun oil and got all fidgety. But he overcame that pretty fast.
We walked about 3 miles in an hour. He pooped like 5 times I swear! I looked like I was carrying home bagged groceries for a large family of squirrels. 4 poop baggies in all, cause I double used the last one.

First thing I noticed is that I'm pretty sure my holster is the wrong size.
It was very top heavy and started leaning out and back the longer I walked.

I'm round abouts the equater if you catch my drift and it's easy to hoist the belt up a notch and highwater the slacks around MooB town all day, but after about a mile this gun and gravity were conspiring against my drawers!!!

I don't know if there are any gun snobs here, but I own a Hi-Point .40 S&W and a Hi-Point 9mm, a Remgington 850 magnum 12 guage and a 1946 Moisen Nagant Carbine.
I like the Hi-points. I am pretty new to guns though I had some as a kid they were just "kids" guns. .22 410 and so on.

I got the .40 for me and the 9mm for the "missus" after it proved really difficult for her to cycle the .40. She doesn't even care about the 9, she likes blades. She has a decorative, but razor sharp bladed weapon in every room of the house but the crapper.
I still feel better knowing now that she can quickly handle the 9 if she has to. She's actually very proficient with it now.

So anyway, I like those guns. They are my entry level guns. If I stay interested in them, then I will move up to some nicer craftsmanship when I need more features or more refinement in particular areas.

That's what me and the old guy at RLC in Florence talked about. He said they were cheap functional guns, and if I wanted to get started with guns as a hobby they were a great start. And he was right. I like that guy and I like that store. He's a good "Shop guy". He doesn't mind talking to you if you seem serious and aren't just there to talk a bunch of crap.
But the younger guy, seemed kind of a gun snob. I went in there to ask about a holster for the .40 and he said, "We don't carry anything for that p.o.s." "It's gigantic, and blocky", "Get a decent gun if you want to holster it".

That's just bad business in my opinion. I'm trying to give you my money!!! You want money! I want some STUFF. Take the money and give me some stuff!!!
OR complain that my stuff is crappy.

I'm happy for you that you don't need my money. Being rich must be awesome. I wouldn't know. Sorry to bother you.
I'll go somewhere else.

So anyway. The gun started flopping all around, and the metal retainer clip that holds on to my belt, which was actually clipping over my whole belt, and the waist band of my pants, started digging into my skin after about mile 2.

I have two photos here. Once of the holster with the .40 in it and one with the 9mm in the same holster.
I shot it from the side that clips on to my pants so you can better understand my points of interest.

If you look a the .40, it rides real high out of the top. I am of the opinion it should probably fit further down into the holster or that the retainer should be higher, and tilted clockwise about 12 degrees so that when it's clipped on, the gun is rolled forward a bit. Easier to catch in my hand, and when I draw out, I'll be drawing forward and up so the 12 degrees tipped forward allows my natural arm motion without trying to bend the gun inside the holster.
Does that make sense.

The 9mm rides well on my hip in that holster, but as you can see the grip handle is almost completely eaten up so it is difficult to get my hand around it. I ended up grabbing it from the end of the magazine hook a couple times lol.

Well just lookin for input. I appreciate it.
~Kevin~
Fobus makes a very nice holster for a reasonable price. I use a Fobus (kydex) for my SIG C3 GSR and it works great. Holds high, doesn't move and is comfortable and easy to conceal. Paddle holsters work the best for what you're looking for.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
The Hi-Point, yeah!

Right. If they let you stand 3 feet from the pin. You get what you pay for, and no $130 Hi-Point, although well made for the price, is going to "smoke" a Kimber, SIG or SA Operator, much less a Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson or STI 1911.
Set 'em up, is all I can say. Those guns you mention sure are purdy.

Statesman

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
A good paddle holster will do wonders.

Now....the dog. Take a .22 rifle and some dog goodies on your next outing. Anchor the leash to your waist and let the dog sniff the rifle. Walk and fire the rifle.....hang on. After he calms a bit, give him a goodie. Repeat until you can work up to a shotgun. It worked for me.
How do you anchor the leash to your waist, securely? Big dogs are likely to pull out the loops in blue jeans, so I am thinking it would be something tied to a stiff belt, or completely around your waist .

Gunslinger

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
The Hi-Point, yeah!

Set 'em up, is all I can say. Those guns you mention sure are purdy.
Tolerance stacks determine maximum accuracy. Those on a $130 gun don't compare to those on a $1200, not to mention $3500 gun. Michael Schumacher in a Ford Edge isn't going to beat me in my Corvette. Jerry Miculek with a Hi-Point won't outscore a decent shot with a Nighthawk. Simple physics.