Thread: open carry at DMV

Post imported post

I pulled up to the DMV at Petersburg Monday with the intentions of going in and taking care of some business but there was a line out the door so I'll put it off until another day.

But I got to wondering about open carrying in there. I remember being in there on a Saturday a few weeks ago and there was an unarmed guard at the the entrance. I guess to toss out anyone who gets pissed off with some of DMVs unreasonable policies, he's unarmed so he he's not much good for anything else.

Anyone had any problem open carrying at a DMV?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

None.

Post imported post

You may open carry at a DMV. I am surprised the guard you saw was unarmed - I thought all DMV guards were either armed or actual DMV police officers (they have their own police department). Regardless, I have open carried at DMV several times and nothing prihbits you from doing so. I can't promise you won't have an issue, but in the last couple years a training memo went out from DMV Headquarters in Richmond and I haven't heard of any problems since then,

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I OC'd at the Brook Road DMV last year, no problems.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Never had a problem at the one in Virginia Beach on First Colonial Rd. Got the usual :what: from the sheeple, but no probs from either security or the other employees.

Post imported post

IOCed atthe DMV in Fair Oaks Mall with no problems. They had two armed guards who took turns making sure that the line, that was out the door, was kept organized. Neither one said anything to me or even seemed to give me any extra attention, so they may not have even noticed.

Post imported post

I'll be hitting up the DMV in Norfolk early next week. I'lltry to OC there and let you know.

Thinking about it... we must be crazy gun owners or at least I must be. I'm going to let someone shoot frikkin lasers in my eyes. LASERS!! :P

Heh, after laser vision correction I need to hit up the DMV to get the corrective lenses restriction removed.

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    I remember being in there on a Saturday a few weeks ago and there was an unarmed guard at the the entrance. I guess to toss out anyone who gets pissed off with some of DMVs unreasonable policies, he's unarmed so he he's not much good for anything else.

I doubt he was unarmed. A friend of mine works security at a VA DMV (through a private security company) and carries his G23 concealed.

And I've never had a problem at the Charlottesville DMV. I did get to watch a mexican guy with forged documents get jacked up and taken to the back by some big guy in black BDUs with "POLICE" across the back.... I don't think he had a good afternoon....

Post imported post

Never a problem with the Chesapeake DMV.
    fág an bealach
    ACTA NON VERBA
    At OCDO there are two things that are not tolerated, open carry intolerance and long gun open carry.
    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
    I am surprised the guard you saw was unarmed - I thought all DMV guards were either armed or actual DMV police officers (they have their own police department).
    FWIW, the guards at the DMV's Fredericksburg service center are armed private security.
    ---
    VCDL Fredericksburg Show Coordinator

Post imported post

Pulled up from the thread graveyard:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...;highlight=dmv

Post imported post

I know I have OC'd at the Chesapeake DMV at least once without a problem.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

OCd at DMV headquarters building in Richmond numerous times - never a problem.

Yata hey
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    OCd at DMV headquarters building in Richmond numerous times - never a problem.

Yata hey
    I OC'd there a while back too. The security guard (who was packing a nice little revolver himself) was eyeing me the whole time, but I guess he got the memo.

Post imported post

The one about preemption and government buildings?

I hope they all got it and committed it to memory.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

I have carried in VA Bch at the Laskin RD and Princess Anne Independence DMVs. No issues at either one and both were packed at the time.

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    I have carried in VA Bch at the Laskin RD and Princess Anne Independence DMVs. No issues at either one and both were packed at the time.
    Laskin? Donna Drive, perhaps?

Independence? Do you mean Buckner?

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

OC'd at the Alexandria DMV multiple times with no problems.

Post imported post

Carried at the Newport News DMV (Denbigh)The last Time I went thereThe little girl Security guard didn't notice because she was more interested in her cell phone...

Never an issue.

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Free Flight

Post imported post

Virginia DMV's are secured by a privatecompany called "SecurGuard" (not sure of the spelling) but they do nothing more than be seen and act as a deterrence.

But Virginia
    DMV does has their own police, DMV Law Enforcement Services. There are about 70 positions throughout the state and it is not an easy position to get. The Police Officers at DMV are not uniformed, normally, and are titled Special Agents. They carry state wide authority just as a Trooper. They can write you a summons for a traffic violation (like Speeding) or arrest you on a criminal matter. Their first priority is the 46.2 code of Virginia. You may see one time to time in a uniform but that is normally because they are out looking for violators of the fuel laws or examining vehicle in an attempt of finding stolen parts. Virginia State Troopers started out many years ago as DMV Inspectors but evolved into their present title.

Watch those
    DMV Special Agents - they are tough, they drive nice unmarked cars with all the newest equipment and all of them have had time under their belt being cops at other departments for many years before they were able to become Special Agents!