• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to convince a mother that it is ok to have a handgun

imported post

I have ordered my first gun, a S&W627 performance center .357 - 8 shot revolver. I live with my folks and when my mother found out that I had ordered a handgun she became rather upset. She stated that handguns are for police and bad guys. Also she said she knows people who have killed themselves with handguns. She says she is barely ok with shotguns and rifles (we have both in our house.) I was raised with guns and taught safety and believe that I have a healthy respect for guns and have a reasonable level of gun safety knowledge (always assume a gun is loaded, never point it at something you do not intend to shoot, keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, consider your target and what is behind/around it, etc... keep you gun locked and your ammo locked in separate locations, etc...) I also plan on taking a gun safety/training course as this the first gun that will be mine. This gun comes with a cable lock and a locking case. My purpose for the gun was originally because I was concerned about the idea of more restrictions being placed on guns by our government and I wanted to legally obtain a handgun before we are not allowed. I was looking to get an all-purpose gun and realized that no such thing exists. I live in a good area and don't feel a need to have a gun for self defense. I have no intention of carrying concealed or open. I don't intend to even keep the gun in my room, I don't feel that is necessary. Really, this is primarily meant as a target shooting gun and I may look into ICORE competition shooting if I ever get to that level.

So I am looking for advice and suggestions to help ease my mother's worries. She told me that if I already bought it that I need to sell it or give it to a police officer. Sorry for the long winded explanation. Thank you for your help.

fullauto223cal

imported post

Well, the obvious option would be to move out but I will begin with the assumption that you would have done that if given the opportunity.

I would suggest first going to http://www.lizmichael.com/ninemyth.htm

There you will find an article title
d "Nine Myths of Gun Control" Have her read this or use it to address the concerns she has.

Also look at http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

I don't know if you have already, but you should take your mother to the shooting range. I have taken a few anti-gun people and it had always opened there minds and help flush out all the bull-@#$% that they've been spoon fed by the statist.

Lastly, tell her I said that I am a Peace Officer and we that do this job want you to keep your pistol and use it to defend yourself and your family. I would feel much better going home at night knowing that a murderer or rapist, and not your mom, was chilling at the morgue after you or your mom put him down.

Tell you mom that weapons cannot be inherently evil, survival does not favor the wicked or righteous, only the prepared. When and if the day comes that some @#$%bag decides to attack your mom, we cops are not going to be there right away. She would do herself a great service to make her mind up that she and she alone is responsible for defending her own life.

If none of the above works then I agree with what poster below....

WCrawford

imported post

PutThatPeaShooterDown wrote:
I have ordered my first gun, a S&W627 performance center .357 - 8 shot revolver. I live with my folks and when my mother found out that I had ordered a handgun she became rather upset. She stated that handguns are for police and bad guys. Also she said she knows people who have killed themselves with handguns. She says she is barely ok with shotguns and rifles (we have both in our house.) I was raised with guns and taught safety and believe that I have a healthy respect for guns and have a reasonable level of gun safety knowledge (always assume a gun is loaded, never point it at something you do not intend to shoot, keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, consider your target and what is behind/around it, etc... keep you gun locked and your ammo locked in separate locations, etc...) I also plan on taking a gun safety/training course as this the first gun that will be mine. This gun comes with a cable lock and a locking case. My purpose for the gun was originally because I was concerned about the idea of more restrictions being placed on guns by our government and I wanted to legally obtain a handgun before we are not allowed. I was looking to get an all-purpose gun and realized that no such thing exists. I live in a good area and don't feel a need to have a gun for self defense. I have no intention of carrying concealed or open. I don't intend to even keep the gun in my room, I don't feel that is necessary. Really, this is primarily meant as a target shooting gun and I may look into ICORE competition shooting if I ever get to that level.

So I am looking for advice and suggestions to help ease my mother's worries. She told me that if I already bought it that I need to sell it or give it to a police officer. Sorry for the long winded explanation. Thank you for your help.

What does your father say? If both are in agreement that you don't "need" a gun, you should probably get rid of it, at least until you are living in a place that you can make the rules.

You won't win an argument with your mother. Your mother has an irrational fear that won't be won over by logic. You would need to use comelling emotional arguments that favor your side. You don't have those, in my opinion, unless you are owing a firearm for defense (that doesn't have to be the only reason, but must be one to use any emotional argument that I can think of).

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"You won't win an argument with your mother. Your mother has an irrational fear that won't be won over by logic. You would need to use comelling emotional arguments that favor your side."

I would have to respectfully disagree. I've effectively used logic to turn my own family around and many other people as well. The average person who is not informed is not a slave of fear or incapable of logic. It's just that they have not had the facts presented to them in an orderly manner in a form they can understand. Lots of anti-gunners just buy into what they are told by the other anti-gunners because they simply lack the facts and opposing viewpoint to make an educated decision.

Give them the facts in an easy to understand manner and most of them become gun rights friendly. This is why most Americans do not favor new gun control. The NRA and other grassroots organizations have been pushing hard to get the facts out.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Two real options. Do what they say or get the **** out. If you can find the money for a gun, a little more work will find you the money for your own place.

imported post

I am hoping that logical arguments will work and that is a large part of why I am asking for advice. She has been shooting multiple times, although I am unaware if she has ever handled a handgun. I was born in Montana and I was told that I learned not to touch guns by the time I could crawl (apparently everyone kept loaded guns by the door to defend their livestock). I will see if I can get her to an indoor range. My father was previously not interested in having a handgun because he felt that he was not ok with shooting someone even in self defense. He says he has reevaluated that idea and I think that he would in the event of saving other people. He and I went to an indoor range recently and had a blast. Both he and I are rather new to handguns. He is suggesting that I offer to my mom that I keep the gun at a friend's house (probably one of the people that I have gone shooting with), so that the gun will not have to be in her house. He has limited influence on my mother in this situation. I am reluctant to keep my gun outside of my house because of the inconvience of getting it to go shooting, however since I don't feel a need for selfdefence, I think I could deal with that.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I am hoping that logical arguments will work and that is a large part of why I am asking for advice. She has been shooting multiple times, although I am unaware if she has ever handled a handgun. I was born in Montana and I was told that I learned not to touch guns by the time I could crawl (apparently everyone kept loaded guns by the door to defend their livestock). I will see if I can get her to an indoor range. My father was previously not interested in having a handgun because he felt that he was not ok with shooting someone even in self defense. He says he has reevaluated that idea and I think that he would in the event of saving other people. He and I went to an indoor range recently and had a blast. Both he and I are rather new to handguns. He is suggesting that I offer to my mom that I keep the gun at a friend's house (probably one of the people that I have gone shooting with), so that the gun will not have to be in her house. He has limited influence on my mother in this situation. I am reluctant to keep my gun outside of my house because of the inconvience of getting it to go shooting, however since I don't feel a need for selfdefence, I think I could deal with that.

Welcome to OCDO PutThatPeaShooterDown.

Knowing that California requires handguns to be registered, I would strongly suggest that you do not let a friend store/possess the pistol. More than likely, if caught, your friend may face felony violationsbeing in possession of your pistol.

Michigan also requires handgun registration andunless the two parties involved have CPL's you may not possess/carry anothers' pistol. There are exceptions to this such as be at a shooting range or on private property. Either way, the registered owner must be present.

You could offer to buy a safe and make a promise that the firearm(s) will not be removed from it unless you intend to frequent a shooting range.

Good luck.

WCrawford

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
"You won't win an argument with your mother. Your mother has an irrational fear that won't be won over by logic. You would need to use comelling emotional arguments that favor your side."

I would have to respectfully disagree. I've effectively used logic to turn my own family around and many other people as well. The average person who is not informed is not a slave of fear or incapable of logic. It's just that they have not had the facts presented to them in an orderly manner in a form they can understand. Lots of anti-gunners just buy into what they are told by the other anti-gunners because they simply lack the facts and opposing viewpoint to make an educated decision.

Give them the facts in an easy to understand manner and most of them become gun rights friendly. This is why most Americans do not favor new gun control. The NRA and other grassroots organizations have been pushing hard to get the facts out.

I would agree if we were dealing with rational thought. In my experience, mothers are frequently very irrational when it comes to their children.

My own mother, who is not by any means an anti, was irrationally concerned about my open carrying. It was emotion based and nothing but emotion was going to counter that concern. Once the emotional argument broke through, then logic works well.

Deanimator

imported post

When you live on your own, you can do what you want.

My mother doesn't like me carrying a concealed firearm. I live on my own two states away. She doesn't get a say.

You might be able to persuade her. If you lived elsewhere you wouldn't NEED to.

Don Barnett

imported post

Get one of those gun lock boxes (about $100), and show her how no one can access the gun unless they know the combination.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
When you live on your own, you can do what you want.

My mother doesn't like me carrying a concealed firearm. I live on my own two states away. She doesn't get a say.

You might be able to persuade her. If you lived elsewhere you wouldn't NEED to.
Yeah right, you live in her basement.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
I would agree if we were dealing with rational thought. In my experience, mothers are frequently very irrational when it comes to their children.

My own mother, who is not by any means an anti, was irrationally concerned about my open carrying. It was emotion based and nothing but emotion was going to counter that concern. Once the emotional argument broke through, then logic works well.

x infinity

No amount of rational thought is ever going to break through, it's almost not even worth trying.

For the record, sounds like your dad is pussy whipped. Tell him to grow some nads and remind her who is in charge (unless she's the one paying the mortgage, then you're SOL).

darthmord

imported post

My MIL was all in a panic when she found out we had handguns in the house. She (despite being a reasonable person most of the time) felt it would be too dangerous for the children.

She never stopped to ask if we had any training; that we had talked with the children to explain the dangers, etc.

She simply assumed we were stupid ignorant gun owners... despite knowing very well that my wife & I are very level headed and sensible people. Apparentlyour firearms sucked all the brains and sense out of us.

She gave up her anti-gun crusade with us when our kids started telling her how much fun they had going to the range with Mom & Dad. I know she's still apprehensive about it but that's her problem to worry about. My kids are safe and responsible around firearms because they've been properly taught.

Good luck with your mother.

sraacke

imported post

She stated that handguns are for police and bad guys.
So either tell her you are a bad guy or that you are applying to the police acadamy then start looking for another place to live. Either way, you are not going to win here.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Try this, tell your mom that if can't you keep the handgun you will disown her and seek to be adopted by a gun loving couple.

If that don't work, threaten to leave home a become a St Frescan Monk. If mom has asperations of being a grandmother, and your an only child, this could really rattle her.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

1.) Since you live in your parents house, you really should have consulted with them before bringing a gun into their home!
2.) YOU are not likely to be able to persuade your MOTHER of anything! Find a woman whom she respects who is pro gun (this may be easier than you think!) to talk to her for you.
3.) Introduce her to http://www.corneredcat.com/
4.) Find an experienced shooter (even better if it is a woman or husband wife team) to take her shooting, if you are not an experienced shooter DO NOT take her yourself! In MOST situations, immediate family should NOT try to teach Mothers/sisters/wives.... Just not a good idea, as you learn more you will realize this and hear stories from others as to why this is not a good idea.
5.) Good Luck!