• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Chief says his LEO should question all who OC

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/43302252.html

Reacting to the memo, Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn said he would advise his officers to question anyone out in public with a gun.
"If my officers see someone walking around the City of Milwaukee with a firearm openly displayed, it borders on irresponsible if I were to communicate to members of my community that they can carry that firearm with impunity," Flynn said.

Unless you're in the mood for polite conversation, I would suggest that you simply say "I'm not interested in talking, have a good day." and keep on going.
The memo reminds everyone that:

"An officer may stop and briefly detain a person for investigative purposes (known as an investigative or Terry stop) if he has “reasonable suspicion,” based on articulable facts, of criminal activity."

If you are being detained, ask them to articulate what their "reasonable suspicion" is of criminal activity. If they say "you're carrying a gun" my response is "You've described constitutional activity, now describe the criminal activity."

Max

imported post

And on that note shotgun, it is still a very good idea to carry a voice recorder with you when open carrying in spite of what the AG has said. I suspect the Milwaukee police chief is using rhetoric to try to discourage anyone from open carrying in Milwaukee as rhetoric is the only legal tool he has left to combat open carrying.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

You're absolutely right Max, carry the recorder, the memo and... if you've still got room, your gun! It's nice that their last resort is rhetoric, isn't it?

Rick Finsta

imported post

I saw that comment in the JS piece and was furious, shotgun. I realize he's an east coast liberal idiot, but if that police chief wants to put my family member in danger of being lawfully shot or sued for rights violations because he wants to be an authoritarian asshole, then he's far more evil than I initially thought.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment: "Officer, what crime do you think I have committed or am about to commit?" "Good day, officer(s)."

Also, remember that you do not have to identify yourself or disarm unless they are actually lawfully detaining you. Make sure to remind them that they will be named in a lawsuit and that they've lost all thier liability protections if they do disarm you without your consent, and remind them that it's their Chief's reckless attitude that has put them in the position.

If you guys think this is just rhetoric, you're fooling yourselves. We've fought the AG and won, now we have to fight individual departments and win until they're too scared to act anymore.

Max

imported post

Maybe we could close out the summer with a big open carry event in Milwaukee in honor of Ed Flynn?

tomm1963

imported post

Having inside experience with the powers of Milwaukee, I can confidently say that the only way the dough heads in charge of this city learn anything is when they get their pants sued off and cost the tax payers for their idiocy.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

"If my officers see someone walking around the City of Milwaukee with a firearm openly displayed, it borders on irresponsible if I were to communicate to members of my community that they can carry that firearm with impunity," Flynn said.
impunityEtymology:Middle French or Latin; Middle French impunité,[/i] from Latin impunitat-, impunitas,[/i] from impune[/i] without punishment, from in-[/i] + poena[/i] punishment — more at pain : exemption or freedom from punishment, harm, or loss <laws were flouted with impunity>

Soooo... the Milwaukee Chief of Police thinks anyone who exercises the Constitutional right to OC should suffer PAIN, LOSS or PUNISHMENT.

tomm1963

imported post

Max wrote:
Maybe we could close out the summer with a big open carry event in Milwaukee in honor of Ed Flynn?
Might I suggest South Shore Park on Memorial Day. Right in the spot where an illegal alien shot up a peaceful neighborhood killing 2 then fled to Mexico.

http://origin.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197429,00.html

Beautiful park on the lake that the media loves to use as a backdrop for various reporting.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Yes, the "Ed Flynn Annual Open Carry Picnic" has a nice ring to it.

The Journal-Sentinel has opened a forum for comments on "Should police give more scrutiny to those openly carrying firearms?" I posted my comment, perhaps others would like to offer their opinions also?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

If you guys think this is just rhetoric, you're fooling yourselves. We've fought the AG and won, now we have to fight individual departments and win until they're too scared to act anymore.
I agree. I think its CRITICAL NOW that we all begin to open carry whenever possible. If only a few open carry, it will be very easy for officers to harrass those individuals. Its critical to be aware of your rights. But people begin to carry frequently, police won't have the resources to harrass that many people. If only a couple people do it, they will.

I picture police stopping someone openly carrying walking their dog and taking 30 minutes to "run their license". Who has time to stand on the sidewalk with everyone and there brother driving by looking like a criminal while the police sit in their cruiser and make you wait.

Be aware that the police have no right to stop you unless they have REASONABLE suspicion to believe a crime is or is about to take place. If they do stop you to ask questions I believe the courts have given them leeway in the range of 20 minutes or less.

We need to remember the law is on OUR side and if we know our rights and communicate with confidence to officers that we ARE aware of our rights they will be less likely to harrass.

FLR&amp;@

imported post

It is a wonderful day for those who wish to O.C.

Now not only do we need to nip this school zone issue but the loaded gun in a car issue that the DNR has placed upon us.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

FLR72 wrote:
It is a wonderful day for those who wish to O.C.

Now not only do we need to nip this school zone issue but the loaded gun in a car issue that the DNR has placed upon us.
Yes, I've often said that I believe after getting OC on stronger footing, the next two pressing issues are vehicle carry and the stupid school zone law. Mike Stollenwerk told me that in other states there is often some type of "peaceable journey" sort of exception in their school zone laws. Maybe that could happen here. I don't have a problem if the legislature wishes to make it a penalty enhancer to use a gun in commission of a crime within a school zone, but there really shouldn't be the 'no unencased guns allowed' infringement that we have now.

I don't think the DNR aspect of that law is so bad... it's a $100 fine at the most, hell I'd take the risk of paying every so often. It's the stupid interpretation that the gun is concealed (by the vehicle) that is the more costly risk. Ah yes, a bag of drugs on a car seat can be seized because it is "in plain view" whereas a gun on the car seat in the very same position is regarded as "concealed." That's the type of "logical consistency" we are facing.

Nik, good job with that interview! I had a Capital Times reporter ask me a few years ago to call him if I was going to OC in downtown Madison. But, ehhh, it was the Capital Times. Not exactly known for objective journalism, so I didn't take him up on that offer.

david.ross

imported post

what are you all upset about? Looks like you can live fairly well after building enough unlawful encounters to launch a lawsuit. :3

FLR&amp;@

imported post

Shotgun,

All I can say is in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, if you were carrying and just passing through a school zone or other prohibited zone it is legal to carry. Now if you were to stop and walk around that was a different story. I would be ok with this type of law here, but obviously I would want most “gun free” zones abolished completely.

Since I am convinced I have been dreaming this last week (Jimmy D recall, O.C. decision) I am going to wish for a C.C.W. law turning Wisconsin into a “shall issue” state that honors all other C.C.W. permit holders. Oh and the D.N.R. would be replaced by an agency that is not on the strings of the E.P.A.

LA la LA la …….