• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-carry hunting

Spongebob

imported post

I am turkey hunting this weekend and am planning on OC a colt woodsman .22 or a colt python .357. Probably the python, as there are black bears that are new to the area, and have been robbing bird feeders/trash cans, and they don't seem very afraid of people.

Does anyone foresee any problems with Game wardens, since turkey is shotgun only?

BTW I WILL have a small game license also.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Carry the Python, tell them you're hunting coyotes too (in season in most of the state year-round.) They might question your choice of firearm for that but hey, tell them that you're "just that good." :p

sa45acp

imported post

I wouldn't press my luck with carrying while turkey hunting. Read the spring Turkey regulations

You may not hunt turkeys:
1. By any means other than a shotgun or muzzle-loading
shotgun fired from the shoulder, a bow and arrow or
crossbow.*

2. With or while in possession of shotshells loaded with
shot larger than no. 4 lead, no. 2 steel, or other no. 4
non-steel shot; duplex loads containing any shot larger
than no. 4 lead or no. 2 steel are also NOT legal.

3. While in possession of shotshells loaded with slugs
unless it is during an open season for hunting deer
with a firearm

I was going to carry last week and decided against it. I did not want to leave it open to the interpretation of the warden as to what Shotshells ment.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry an S&W .44 when ever I am in the woods. Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Squirrel Hunting, doesn't matter. I carry the appropriate firearm for the hunt, Rifle/Shotgun, and the .44 as a personal security device.