• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doyle: Local communities should be able to bar open carry of guns

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/43347632.html

Doyle: Local communities should be able to bar open carrying of guns
By Stacy Forster of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Apr. 21, 2009 12:00 p.m.

Madison - Local communities should be able to adopt their own ordinances relating to guns, including prohibiting people from carrying them openly, Gov. Jim Doyle said Tuesday.

Doyle, a Democrat, was reacting to a memorandum from Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen on Monday that said it's legal to openly carry a gun on the street in Wisconsin. Van Hollen advised prosecutors that merely having a gun doesn't warrant a disorderly conduct charge.

Doyle said prosecutors and police departments will have to weigh whether such situations constitute disorderly conduct, but said a former state policy that allowed local governments to enact their own ordinances requiring guns made sense.

"To me it's a very different issue whether you're walking down Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee with a gun on your hip and that's very different than if you're carrying a hunting rifle through a town during hunting season," Doyle said to reporters following an event at Edgewood College.

In 1995, former Gov. Tommy G. Thompson signed into law a bill wiping out about 35 local gun-control ordinances, saying he wanted to empower individuals, not the government. Doyle, who was attorney general at the time, opposed the law, arguing it jeopardized the safety of Wisconsin citizens.

Carrying concealed weapons is not allowed in Wisconsin. Doyle twice vetoed legislation that would have made concealed carry legal.

Doyle stopped short of calling on the Legislature to change the law.

"I think we're just going to have to see how this plays out with local DAs and local police departments," Doyle said.

borrowed time

imported post

What an a$$Doyle is. First he tells us to put it (handgun) on our hip, now more regulation is necessary for communities to protect themselves from all the evil people that dare to open carry. Let's confuse the issue more by every municipality having different rules and laws, so people will give up rather than get themselves into legal problems. I wonder if Doyle should read the constitution once in a while instead of shooting off his mouth without his brain engaged. DUMP DOYLE.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with ya! I'm NOT willing to take it anymore. We need to impeach this F tard. If he dare try to tamper with that law I will be sure to march on the capitol I hope you guys will stand with me! I-D-G-A-F what any locality says or wants to do, a right is a right and those freedom hating people that seem ever more common will not get in my our way.

Ben

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The Governor is just blowing smoke. He has to know that even Shirley Abrahamson, the most liberal member of the State Supreme Court, would have to concede that, absent provisions to carry concealed, a law that allowed local municipalities to ban open carry would be found unconstitutional-- or at least the local ordinances banning open carry would be. She would have to eat her words from her earlier opinions in which she argues that there has to be a practical way to exercise the right to keep and bear arms.

smithman

imported post

Doyle is only TRYING to distract the issue! He knows that such a ban is unconstitutional.

Look at any big politician today...Barret turned out to say a few unkind words about OCing and the Milwaukee police wasn't too fond of the idea. But guess what they're opinions don't mean a rip now.

smithman

imported post

What was funny about this..at 12:15pm today, the journal sentinel online took the "AG VAn hollen" story at the very top of the page and shoved it down in font size, replacing it with "Doyle says localities should bar open carry". Just another way for the media to distract from the issue, to try to confuse people.

But our victory stands....booya state fools!

Savageogie

imported post

Little does Doyle realize, but municipalities cannot put forth ordinances that counter the State Constitution. He must have been sleeping during the Governor 101 class.

Chris
West Allis, WI

xenophon

imported post

BJA wrote:
I agree with ya! I'm NOT willing to take it anymore. We need to impeach this F tard. If he dare try to tamper with that law I will be sure to march on the capitol I hope you guys will stand with me! I-D-G-A-F what any locality says or wants to do, a right is a right and those freedom hating people that seem ever more common will not get in my our way.

Ben
Bah, let's march outside the capitol anyways. Madison and Milwaukee both need some gatherings.

KS_to_CA

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Doyle: Local communities should be able to bar open carrying of guns

And local communities should be able to ban the freedom of speech. Can you imagine some of the words that some people say - it's a killer!

Same with internet use! And communities should be able to ban people from staring the wrong away. Too many arguments had resulted from such horrendous event.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: