• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Mayor Furious at AG opinion on open carry

Legba

imported post

Mike wrote:
Legba wrote:
As for identication during stops, I'm in a bad position because I have a very common name, which definitely does produce multiple LEADS/NCIC/OBCII hits unless I supply yet more personal information to distinguish myself from the rogues gallery that comes up from just a name search. Even supplying my birthday matches me with a known felon from Columbus (he's black and I'm white, so the confusion is resolvable, but it has come up before). Ohio has some requirement for ID during stops (name and address or name and birthday or something) but for practical purposes, I'm required to supply my full name, address, SS#, and drivers license number to avoid being run in for fingerprinting.

-ljp
The SSN demand is a violation of Section 7 of the Fed. Priv. Act - whay are you complying when damages can be obtained if arrested on that basis?

That was unclear as I wrote it, sorry. They don't demand my SS# as such - although they do routinely ask for it - I just meant that if I want an expeditious resolution to a stop, it is a practical requirement.I prefer to remain at liberty than to be taken into custody and sue later. That doesn't make me a coward - I've been run to jail before and The Man does not scare me - it's simply a matter of minimizing dramatic bull@#$% in my life. Also, I've only ever really been stopped while driving, which does require showing your license and opening this (mis-)identification can of worms.

-ljp

P.I. Guy

imported post

The people of Milwaukeewere stupid enough to vote for a liberal, anti-gun idiot like Tom Barret. Barret is spewing how people are going to start showing up a baseball game, etc carrying Uzi's and AK-47's.

paramedic70002

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
The code Mike quoted still requires RS. Openly carrying a firearm, absent any other criminally-suspicious behavior, would not constitute RS, and therefore I cannot see howthe averageOC'er could be legally forced to provide ID.
I'm sure if 2 or 3 LEOs congregate around you when you are OCing, it would only take a couple minutes for them to decide you are acting nervous and suspicious. That they cause you to feel that way would not be pertinent to the results. They simply manufacture the evidence they need to do a Terry.