• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to handle harassment while OCing???

99vengeur

imported post

So I have been reading and participating here now for a little while, and I've done a little OC'ing (although hesitantly). What I think would be nice, is for the veteran OC'ers to post their method (or a decidedly best method) for handling harassment while OC'ing. This should include hassle from store owners/employees, the lay public and LEO.

What I would like to see from this is a thread on how to deal with questions from LEO, specifically how to respond and act while being "detained" (used loosely here). If a thread similar to this exists already, please point me in that direction. What I want to gain is the OC'ers "survival handbook," so to speak.

Let the educating begin. :celebrate

imported post

Store OWNERS: " What I am doing is completely lawful, I can either shop here or at your competitors, which would you prefer?"
Store EMPLOYEES: "May I speak to the owner (or authorized agent)?"
Lay public: if they're harrassing you, ignore and/or walk away.
LEO: "Am I breaking any laws?" Do NOT volunteer any info other than your name, definitely NO social security number. While I'm not advocating being rude, at the same time be firm.
While this might not be EVERYone's approach, this is pretty much what I do.
You used the word "hesitantly." The best thing is for you younger and/or lesser experienced guys to hook up with someone who's had some experience, travel in at least pairs. There's strength in numbers.
See ya' Saturday !!!