• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Radio to run open carry call in discussion at 4PM Central Time!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

They called John and I but John could not do it and I could not get to a land line in time (their requirement.

Let's listen in and call in!! http://www.wpr.org/webcasting/live.cfm

--

[align=center]
Tips for Talk Show Callers[/align]
  1. Be on topic. Before you call, listen to the host's introduction or recap of the show topic and guest. Note the questions posed. Make sure what you want to say is directly related to the topic and ask yourself, "Can the guest address this?"
  2. Be prepared. Know what you want to say, and how you want to say it, before you call.
  3. Be understanding. When you phone in, the first person you will talk to is the call screener. It is his or her job to understand what you are going to say on the air and decide whether or not to put your call through. If your point is off topic, or something the guest cannot address, or if it was covered earlier in the show, the call screener will ask you to call another time. Calls are not taken in order, but based on where your comment fits into the program.
  4. Be brief. When your call is taken, please get right to your comment and make your most important point first. There may not be time for you to make multiple points or have a follow-up with the guest.
  5. Stay on point. The host takes your call based on what you told the screener. Don't change your comment while you're on hold.
  6. Add to the discussion. As a caller you become part of the show, and it is your role to further the discussion. Your comment should add to the content of the show. Ask a question, tell a story or let us know your opinion on the issue.
  7. No personal attacks. It is fine to disagree with a guest's point of view, but personal attacks are not allowed. Keep your focus on the argument, not the person.
  8. Phone quality. Use the phone handset, not the speakerphone option or a headset. They both reduce the audio quality of your call when you are on the air. If you are calling on a cell phone please be sure you have a strong signal. If you are in your car, for your own safety and the quality of your signal, please pull over.
  9. Turn off your radio. We have a slight broadcast delay and having your radio on can cause you to miss your turn. Please turn our radio off before you call in. You can listen to the program live on your telephone while you are on hold.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
For Program On: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Openly carrying firearms in public would be an attention getter but would not be illegal according to Wisconsin’s Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen. Today after four on At Issue, Ben Merens talks with two guests with opposing views on this issue. Jim Fendry, Director Wisconsin Pro-Gun Movement Eugene Kane, columnist Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Oh my, Eugene Kane? This'll be fun.

I'm listening now, and I'll call in if I get a chance.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Jim Fendry (sp?) made a comment that people's reaction to open carry can create grounds for disorderly conduct - that would be news to me - criminal statutes must constitionally be aimed at circumscribing individual conduct and put the individual on notice of the requirements of the law - I think he was way off base unless somebody has a cite to WI case law otherwise.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Jim Fendry (sp?) made a comment that people's reaction to open carry can create grounds for disorderly conduct - that would be news to me - criminal statutes must constitionally be aimed at circumscribing individual conduct and put the individual on notice of the requirements of the law - I think he was way off base unless somebody has a cite to WI case law otherwise.
Fendy's entire segment really dissappointed me, that part being one of them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
Mike wrote:
Fendy's entire segment really dissappointed me, that part being one of them.
yeah, Fendy needs to read the AG opinion's description of WI's disorderly conduct statute and get a clue.

Also, what's with Fendy telling the radio hosts that so many people illegally conceal carry? I might have gotten hsi point had he explained that the appelas court in Wisconsin ruled the statute invalid in the pizza man case, but really, Fendy sounded kooky on these two points. Luckily he cleared up the myth of gun licensing and registration pretty clearly, so that was good.

Rick Finsta

imported post

Fendry is NOT our friend; I've got a story of his attempted derailment of the Wisconsin Patriots' attempt to force the OC issue on my blog here. This occured back when we were still in the county resolution phase, before we moved on to the AG opinion push. Go and give it a read.

He only wants a CCW law, and I think he is small minded and vindictive, and will do what's necessary to get what he wants, including throwing us under the bus.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
Fendry is NOT our friend; I've got a story of his attempted derailment of the Wisconsin Patriots' attempt to force the OC issue on my blog here. This occured back when we were still in the county resolution phase, before we moved on to the AG opinion push. Go and give it a read.

He only wants a CCW law, and I think he is small minded and vindictive, and will do what's necessary to get what he wants, including throwing us under the bus.
Well, I don't know about all that, maybe you are right, but I will say that Fendry DID very effectively destroy the host's weird talk about gun licensing and registration - once he laid that down the host moved on - and thousands were educated too. So on that he did well.