Thread: Placement of finger on trigger

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    I've seen several pictures of individuals firing pistols and rifles where the trigger finger is placed on the trigger at the first joint of the finger.

I was taught at Ft. Jackson many moons ago that the pad of the finger should be on the trigger. The reasoning was that it afforded better trigger control.

Is that teaching now wrong? If so, what is the correct placement of the finger on the trigger and why? Is it different for rifles and pistols?

The rifle I was taught on at Ft. Jackson? A M1 Garand and, yes, I still love them.

I use the pad of my finger unless the trigger pull is too hard. I think if you're holding it in the joint you havemore of a tendancy to jerk/pull the gun while squeezing off a shot.

Post imported post

:quirky
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

I was taught just recently to use the pad of my finger when pressing the trigger back. It was during my CCW class.

Post imported post

It depends on a few factors.....the length of your finger overall, length between the joints, the sizeof your hand. I teach my new guys find what feels most comfortable/natural without pulling or pushing your shot. Find that sweet spot for yourself. As long as your DC on your target, then there you go.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    It depends on a few factors.....the length of your finger overall, length between the joints, the sizeof your hand. I teach my new guys find what feels most comfortable/natural without pulling or pushing your shot. Find that sweet spot for yourself. As long as your DC on your target, then there you go.
    I'm pretty sure this is the right answer. With my semi autos mine it's on the pad, but it's on the joint with my DA revo.

Post imported post

I try to use the pad of finger consistently. I say "try", cuz sometimes during certain courses, adrenaline comes into play and I find myself not using proper trigger control techniques.That's why I keep practicing... a helluva lot!

Post imported post

the proper placement of the finger on the trigger is whatever works for that particular shooter. I wonder sometimes why some people think that if someone else doesn't mimic them, then they are doing it wrong.

The correct finger placement on the trigger for me is the placement that gives me the most trigger control and yeilds the tightest groups. What works for someone else is irrelevant because I'm not someone else.

Ditto for stance, grip tightness, wrist tension, only one vs. both eyes open, et.al.

Banned

Post imported post

I've never thought about it.

I'll probably never think about it after this point in time.

Post imported post

Generally, if a DA pull, the joint is what's taught. SA is always the pad. While I prefer the pad in every situation, when shootingDA a .357 Smith 586, I'm more accurate with the joint. 1911s or Hi-Power: always midway on the pad. But like everything else in handgun shooting, try several techniques and choose what works best for you.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V