• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Placement of finger on trigger

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
I've seen several pictures of individuals firing pistols and rifles where the trigger finger is placed on the trigger at the first joint of the finger.

I was taught at Ft. Jackson many moons ago that the pad of the finger should be on the trigger. The reasoning was that it afforded better trigger control.

Is that teaching now wrong? If so, what is the correct placement of the finger on the trigger and why? Is it different for rifles and pistols?

The rifle I was taught on at Ft. Jackson? A M1 Garand and, yes, I still love them.

I use the pad of my finger unless the trigger pull is too hard. I think if you're holding it in the joint you havemore of a tendancy to jerk/pull the gun while squeezing off a shot.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

It depends on a few factors.....the length of your finger overall, length between the joints, the sizeof your hand. I teach my new guys find what feels most comfortable/natural without pulling or pushing your shot. Find that sweet spot for yourself. As long as your DC on your target, then there you go.

FogRider

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
It depends on a few factors.....the length of your finger overall, length between the joints, the sizeof your hand. I teach my new guys find what feels most comfortable/natural without pulling or pushing your shot. Find that sweet spot for yourself. As long as your DC on your target, then there you go.
I'm pretty sure this is the right answer. With my semi autos mine it's on the pad, but it's on the joint with my DA revo.

prcE6

imported post

I try to use the pad of finger consistently. I say "try", cuz sometimes during certain courses, adrenaline comes into play and I find myself not using proper trigger control techniques.That's why I keep practicing... a helluva lot!

6L6GC

imported post

the proper placement of the finger on the trigger is whatever works for that particular shooter. I wonder sometimes why some people think that if someone else doesn't mimic them, then they are doing it wrong.

The correct finger placement on the trigger for me is the placement that gives me the most trigger control and yeilds the tightest groups. What works for someone else is irrelevant because I'm not someone else.

Ditto for stance, grip tightness, wrist tension, only one vs. both eyes open, et.al.

Gunslinger

imported post

Generally, if a DA pull, the joint is what's taught. SA is always the pad. While I prefer the pad in every situation, when shootingDA a .357 Smith 586, I'm more accurate with the joint. 1911s or Hi-Power: always midway on the pad. But like everything else in handgun shooting, try several techniques and choose what works best for you.