• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal interpretation.

simplysteven

imported post

This is for you guys who read and understand the CA Penal Code better than me. 12031 (L), states that you can HAVE a loaded gun at your place of residence, including temporary residence or campsite. My question is, does have mean CARRY? lol

Always learning

SS

prcE6

imported post

Ooh, tricky. I'm not sure if there is anycase law that defines this further. The closest I can think of is Overturf, but that dealt with a having/carrying in a place of business. Good question.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Code:
(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of
residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

To have is to possess. You are allowed to have a loaded gun in your place of business, but not necessarily carry. Overturf.

simplysteven

imported post

I appriciate the response but I already have the definition. I was wondering about the not necessarily carry part.

Always learning

SS

Rayce Bannon

imported post

U can ask ur local DA's office, as I did, and the pat response is, "we do not give legal advice." Isn't that classic. U askurlocal guvtattorney if something is legal or not, cuz u don't want to break an administrative code, and the public servant will nottell u. (LOL)

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simplysteven wrote:
I appriciate the response but I already have the definition. I was wondering about the not necessarily carry part.

Always learning

SS
Then I will make it more clear.

If the law makes possession illegal then you can neither have nor carry.

If the law makes carry illegal but not possession then you can have, but not carry.

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory
This law prohibits carrying, not possessing or having.

It is my understanding that a business, if open to the public is a public place and therefore you are not allowed to carry it loaded in your place of business, but you are allowed to possess one. That is what (L) is basically saying. . . It is clarifying you still have the right to possess.

simplysteven

imported post

Thanks for the clearity! I'll be UOC this weekend at ANF. I'll post back & detail any LEO encounters.

Always learning

SS