Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: CHP Renewal - Stafford county

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    So my current CHP expires in early May. I forgot until it was too late to renew before the 45 day limit. I went and applied at the Stafford count circuit court on 27 March, thoroughly expecting the renewal process to take the full 45 days allowed.

    Much to my surprise, I had a voice mail at home from one of the court clerks telling me that my renewal permit was ready to be picked up today! That makes the renewal process 26 days from the day I submitted.

    Stafford did not require a SASE from me, but they do require that I pickthe permit up in person. They will not mail the permit. Not a big deal for me, but it could be for another person.

    Any ways I am happy as I had expected to not have a valid CHP for a week. Oh yeah, none of the additional B.S. that Fairfax county makes people provide either. No proof of residence, no SASE (though that could be a help for some folks), and no making you wait the maximum 45 days (whether the permit is ready or not).

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Congratulations.

    Glad they did not drag their heels.

    But I have to correct you on Fairfax County.

    I did not have to provide proof of residence when I applied, I went to the couthouse to pick up my permit, and got it in a few weeks.

    I've known others to get their permits in as little as 2 weeks.



    You probably got u confused with Arlington.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Congratulations.

    Glad they did not drag their heels.

    But I have to correct you on Fairfax County.

    I did not have to provide proof of residence when I applied, I went to the couthouse to pick up my permit, and got it in a few weeks.

    I've known others to get their permits in as little as 2 weeks.



    You probably got u confused with Arlington.
    He's not confused - Fairfax did ask for proof of residence when I applied for mine. But, before the rocks start flying, I understand that to be an extra-legal requirement, so although they ask for it, you are not required to provide it. Or something like that. (there was a long thread about this somewhere... here it is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54)

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Congratulations.

    Glad they did not drag their heels.

    But I have to correct you on Fairfax County.

    I did not have to provide proof of residence when I applied, I went to the couthouse to pick up my permit, and got it in a few weeks.

    I've known others to get their permits in as little as 2 weeks.



    You probably got u confused with Arlington.
    He's not confused - Fairfax did ask for proof of residence when I applied for mine. But, before the rocks start flying, I understand that to be an extra-legal requirement, so although they ask for it, you are not required to provide it. Or something like that. (there was a long thread about this somewhere... here it is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54 )
    Riana, thanks for backing me up on this. My point for Billis that at least Stafford doesn't play games with the process like Fairfax does.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash your observations.

    It's just that in my experience Ffx has been pretty good.

    I got my permit in 30 days, a friend at work and his wife got theirs in 2 weeks.

    I know that there are some jurisdictions that play games, I just don't think that Fairfax is one of them.

    Although others may have had different experiences.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash your observations.

    It's just that in my experience Ffx has been pretty good.

    I got my permit in 30 days, a friend at work and his wife got theirs in 2 weeks.

    I know that there are some jurisdictions that play games, I just don't think that Fairfax is one of them.

    Although others may have had different experiences.
    Thanks Bill, I'm glad that you've had good experiences with Fairfax. We're cool! Kinda like our new friend who had problems with getting a CHP renewal here in Stafford. Guess I should have kept the B.S. out of my OP and stuck with the Stafford facts in my case.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post

    Wow, that was quick. I'm glad it only took 26 days and not the full 45.

  8. #8
    Regular Member warthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    I wonder if it's only renewals that need to be picked up in person, or if their policy has changed recently. My CHP was mailed to me whenStafford Countyissued it back in September.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    warthog wrote:
    I wonder if it's only renewals that need to be picked up in person, or if their policy has changed recently. My CHP was mailed to me whenStafford Countyissued it back in September.
    I'llremember to ask when I pick it up tomorrow.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44

    Post imported post

    Glade it went smooth for you.

    From what I understand it is pretty hit or miss with mailing vs. pickup. My first two were mailed but when I dropped of the application the lady at the left window said I would need to pick it up.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Stafford_1911, I regret that you had to go through the ordeal which you did. I am glad though, that you struck a blow for our freedoms and the administration of proper government.

    Again, I'm going to ask about the mail/pickup discrepancy.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Well, I picked up my CHP this morning. On the way in passing through the security check point, I was wearing my black t-shirt with a silhouette of an AR-15 with the Geo. Washington quote of "a free people ought to be armed...." and the deputy says, "that's why the Japanese didn't invade the U.S.". So I give him my best "HUH?" He says your shirt. And I said, "Oh yeah, I'm glad that you appreciate that." Nice guy.

    So I go to the clerk's office and pick up the permit. I asked about the mailing business. She told me that, until Jan of this year they used to mail them out but because of budget cuts they stopped doing it. She said that the person applying for the permit could provide a SASE and they would be glad to mail it, but that an SASE wasn't a requirement. Only if you wanted them to mail it to you, otherwise you would have to come in and pick it up. But then, they don't really advertise that either.

    All in all, it was a pleasant experience. In and out in about 5 minutes.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Man, that's a tight budget when they cannot afford stamps to mail CHPs.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Yep, she said it was tighten up on the budget or fire one of the clerks. Looks like the clerks won.

  15. #15
    Regular Member warthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Thanks for checking into that, Kai. It's pretty sad that economic times make it so gov't can't afford stamps, but I'd rather pick up my CHP if it means that someone can keep getting a paycheck.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Yeah, it's rather sad that the county can pony up big time bucks to purchase Crow's Nest, yet have to close schools and reduce other necessary services to save money.

    From a WaPo article about Crow's Nest,

    The Stafford County Board of Supervisors paid $19 million for 1,720 acres of the peninsula last year. The property owner, Stafford Lakes Limited Partnership, has agreed to reduce the price for an additional 1,100 acres, knocking $2 million off its $16.2 million asking price if the county turns the money over by July 31.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Well, I picked up my CHP this morning. On the way in passing through the security check point, I was wearing my black t-shirt with a silhouette of an AR-15 with the Geo. Washington quote of "a free people ought to be armed...." and the deputy says, "that's why the Japanese didn't invade the U.S.". So I give him my best "HUH?" He says your shirt. And I said, "Oh yeah, I'm glad that you appreciate that." Nice guy.

    So I go to the clerk's office and pick up the permit. I asked about the mailing business. She told me that, until Jan of this year they used to mail them out but because of budget cuts they stopped doing it. She said that the person applying for the permit could provide a SASE and they would be glad to mail it, but that an SASE wasn't a requirement. Only if you wanted them to mail it to you, otherwise you would have to come in and pick it up. But then, they don't really advertise that either.

    All in all, it was a pleasant experience. In and out in about 5 minutes.
    They may not have invaded, but they did attack the continental united states at one time! (And no, not just HI)

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Well, I picked up my CHP this morning. On the way in passing through the security check point, I was wearing my black t-shirt with a silhouette of an AR-15 with the Geo. Washington quote of "a free people ought to be armed...." and the deputy says, "that's why the Japanese didn't invade the U.S.". So I give him my best "HUH?" He says your shirt. And I said, "Oh yeah, I'm glad that you appreciate that." Nice guy.

    So I go to the clerk's office and pick up the permit. I asked about the mailing business. She told me that, until Jan of this year they used to mail them out but because of budget cuts they stopped doing it. She said that the person applying for the permit could provide a SASE and they would be glad to mail it, but that an SASE wasn't a requirement. Only if you wanted them to mail it to you, otherwise you would have to come in and pick it up. But then, they don't really advertise that either.

    All in all, it was a pleasant experience. In and out in about 5 minutes.
    They may not have invaded, but they did attack the continental united states at one time! (And no, not just HI)
    Attu and Kiska in the Aleutian Islands.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    They may not have invaded, but they did attack the continental united states at one time! (And no, not just HI)
    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Attu and Kiska in the Aleutian Islands.
    I always understood Continental United States to only include the 48 contiguous states -neither Hawaii nor Alaska are considered part of it. Am I mistaken there?

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    You may be thinking the contiguous 48 States.

    Edit because reading is fundamental -the contiguous states are the lower 48. You can't say that Alaska is not a part of the north American continent. A Japanese submarine also shelled a town in California (I think it was California)and also released incendiary balloons some of which landed in the Northwest.

  21. #21
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    The incindary (sp)balloons were launched from Japan to be carried by the tradewinds. MANY reached shore and inland areas of the NW, but only ONE actually killed a family on an outing in the woods.

    Some of the others caused forest fires but the news about them (American "intelligence" apparently knew something about the attack) was supressed from the public because they didn't want the Japanese to know how effective (or ineffective) their attack had been.

    IMAGINE THAT?!?! The government knew something about a "terrorist attack" and didn't tell the PEOPLE ABOUT IT!(insert eyeroll). Sheeple go about their daily lives never knowing how close they've come to the DAILY attempts by BG's to attack our infrastructure. The only ones the sheeple find out about are the ones that are successful. The media does a great service to the BG's when they report on their effectiveness and our own weaknesses. It really comes in handy for their future plans (insert sarcasm).
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  22. #22
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    The term "CONUS" used in the US military services refers to the 48 contiguous states. By extension, it's not uncommon for "Continental US" (since that's the expansion of the CONUS acronym) to mean the same 48 states.

    Or is it 58? 57, maybe? I forget.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •